XxTeexX

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatch & 2018 Civic EX
Country flag
I have a 2019 Honda Civic hatchback and the front drivers side lug but broke. I bought a new one and was going to install but it hits the hub on the way out! Is there any tricks to get this out?
Honda Civic 10th gen How to remove lug nut bolt? 30C5A36C-63B3-43F0-B08C-45E54C658586
Honda Civic 10th gen How to remove lug nut bolt? 9EA8C9BD-9C55-4C5A-9615-A864FE8E6B3E

M16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
How did it break?
Dont know exactly this civic, but some cars have a notch and you have to move the hub till it hits the right spot.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
How did it break?
Dont know exactly this civic, but some cars have a notch and you have to move the hub till it hits the right spot.
Didn't know about the notch, that's way more logical than my solution - cut off tool haha

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
That happened to me when the Honda dealership tech overtightened mine to 110 lbs. I had it replaced when I had my brake pad and disc changed.

OP
OP
XxTeexX

XxTeexX

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That happened to me when the Honda dealership tech overtightened mine to 110 lbs. I had it replaced when I had my brake pad and disc changed.
How did you do it? I have everything off the car, I see no notches

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How did you do it? I have everything off the car, I see no notches
I was running with 4 lugs for a couple of months before I had it fixed since I was almost due for a brake service.

80 lbs is the limit for tightening lug nuts.

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I just replaced the lug nuts on my car and to my surprise the shop that installed my wheels tightened all my nuts to >120 lb/ft. I'm surprised mine didn't end up like this. :eek:

Good luck with the fix!

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just replaced the lug nuts on my car and to my surprise the shop that installed my wheels tightened all my nuts to >120 lb/ft. I'm surprised mine didn't end up like this. :eek:
Lucky for you but I would replace those studs in the future as they might have already some premature wear from overtightening.

OP
OP
XxTeexX

XxTeexX

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was running with 4 lugs for a couple of months before I had it fixed since I was almost due for a brake service.

80 lbs is the limit for tightening lug nuts.
How much did they charge you ?

OP
OP
XxTeexX

XxTeexX

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is this the front or the rear?
Front driver side! Pain in the A**
Enough room to pop it out a bit but the head of the bolt touches the hub and you can’t get it out. Everything I have read online so far says you need to press the bearing out and take it all apart. Might have to make a trip to the dealer

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
Looks like you'll have to extract the hub from the knuckle. You can cheat a little and grind a flat on the head of the new bolt to try and clear the knuckle. I remember the 7th gens were similar and a common cheat was to grind a chamfer on one side of the knuckle so the new bolts would clear it.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Front driver side! Pain in the A**
Enough room to pop it out a bit but the head of the bolt touches the hub and you can’t get it out. Everything I have read online so far says you need to press the bearing out and take it all apart. Might have to make a trip to the dealer
You might be able to remove the axle nut, use a puller (you can rent from auto part store) and pull the hub out far enough so you can angle the stud to remove it and install the new one. To install the new stud, stick it through the hub, get a spacer (I like to use an old axle nut or a huge m16 nut), put spacer on the thread sticking through the hub and use lug nut to pull the new stud through. Remember to not over tighten as it will stretch the new stud. Just do it until the stud is flushed with the back side of the hub. You will also need to replace the lug nut as doing this will destroy the old one. To reinstall the hub, just use blast the axle nut back on and hope the bearing didn’t split.

OP
OP
XxTeexX

XxTeexX

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looks like you'll have to extract the hub from the knuckle. You can cheat a little and grind a flat on the head of the new bolt to try and clear the knuckle. I remember the 7th gens were similar and a common cheat was to grind a chamfer on one side of the knuckle so the new bolts would clear it.
Damn if the dealer is going to charge an arm and a leg I may go this route. Thanks

OP
OP
XxTeexX

XxTeexX

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You might be able to remove the axle nut, use a puller (you can rent from auto part store) and pull the hub out far enough so you can angle the stud to remove it and install the new one. To install the new stud, stick it through the hub, get a spacer (I like to use an old axle nut or a huge m16 nut), put spacer on the thread sticking through the hub and use lug nut to pull the new stud through. Remember to not over tighten as it will stretch the new stud. Just do it until the stud is flushed with the back side of the hub. You will also need to replace the lug nut as doing this will destroy the old one. To reinstall the hub, just use blast the axle nut back on and hope the bearing didn’t split.
This sounds like some serious work! I’ll prob mess something up lol . I’m going to get a quote and see what’s going on. Reasons why I don’t like shops torquing my tires.
Sponsored