How to remove chrome accesories

Trouble_Shoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
I picked up a 2017 coupe si. I really love it. But the person before me add some chrome to the exterior that isn't my style. Specifically they added chrome B pillars and chrome handlebar covers. I would like to remove those (and some unfortunate pin stripes). Looks like the chrome door handle thing comes up a lot on trucks. I some some truck forums where people recommended a heat gun and fishing wire.

I am a bit concerned about using a heat gun as I would hate to damage the paint. If anyone has used a heat gun in this capacity and has a recommendation on the degree of heat to use I would like to hear it.

Also if anyone has specific suggestions as to how to remove these chrome accessories, I would like some input.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"But the person before me add some chrome to the exterior that isn't my style. Specifically they added chrome B pillars and chrome handlebar covers. I would like to remove those (and some unfortunate pin stripes). Looks like the chrome door handle thing comes up a lot on trucks."

Oh lord I need to see this please post a pic XD

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They are likely held on by 3M adhesive or similar heavy duty two sided tape. Carefully applying heat may would loosen things up a bit.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hair drier is more than enough, the handle covers are held by 2 stripes of 3m tape on the face of the handle.

OP
OP

Trouble_Shoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Pictures attached. It was worse than expected. My boyfriend and I tackled the B pillars yesterday. 3.5 hours later, and the project is not done. A heat gun at low heat was needed to soften the 3M foam tape. We also had to use adhesive remover, and plastic scraping tools. Unfortunately the tape is almost as wide as the B Pillar. It was brutal to try and get off. As of now there is still a thin layer of adhesive still on the B pillars. It requires more elbow grease to finish the job. I will get back to it next weekend.

If I can't improve the appearance sufficiently, I may go with using plasti-dip in a flat black or maybe some black B pillar overlays. Those seem to be glossy; I would prefer more matte black like the original.

For whatever it is worth, I am so glad to be rid of the chrome. I know that lots of people like it, it is just not my style at all. Especially since I got the windows tinted. I think a seamless black appearance with out a chrome break looks better.

I also included a picture of the pinstripe whose days are also numbered.

After this experience with the B pillars I would by lying if I said I wasn't afraid of taking the door handles off.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to remove chrome accesories Photo 19-02-18 14-31-34 1932

Honda Civic 10th gen How to remove chrome accesories Photo 19-02-18 14-31-31 1931

Honda Civic 10th gen How to remove chrome accesories Photo 19-02-18 14-31-27 1930

Honda Civic 10th gen How to remove chrome accesories IMG_1935.JPG

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry this has been such a pain. 3M acrylic automotive tape is seriously strong. That's why I laugh when people say "it's only held on by 3M tape?". As if a little gust of wind or something will blow the item off. :cool:

OP
OP

Trouble_Shoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Sorry this has been such a pain. 3M acrylic automotive tape is seriously strong. That's why I laugh when people say "it's only held on by 3M tape?". As if a little gust of wind or something will blow the item off. :cool:
I don't mind; making your car better is part of the bonding process. My last two we did major stereo upgrades which isn't in the cards at the moment. Making the exterior more "me" is a good project for the now. I really wanted a 10th gen when I got my last car but I didn't want to spend the money. That turned into a disaster car. When I was able to get this one, even with the weird chrome and pinstripes, I was so thrilled.

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
Pictures attached. It was worse than expected. My boyfriend and I tackled the B pillars yesterday. 3.5 hours later, and the project is not done. A heat gun at low heat was needed to soften the 3M foam tape. We also had to use adhesive remover, and plastic scraping tools. Unfortunately the tape is almost as wide as the B Pillar. It was brutal to try and get off. As of now there is still a thin layer of adhesive still on the B pillars. It requires more elbow grease to finish the job. I will get back to it next weekend.

If I can't improve the appearance sufficiently, I may go with using plasti-dip in a flat black or maybe some black B pillar overlays. Those seem to be glossy; I would prefer more matte black like the original.

For whatever it is worth, I am so glad to be rid of the chrome. I know that lots of people like it, it is just not my style at all. Especially since I got the windows tinted. I think a seamless black appearance with out a chrome break looks better.

I also included a picture of the pinstripe whose days are also numbered.

After this experience with the B pillars I would by lying if I said I wasn't afraid of taking the door handles off.

Photo 19-02-18 14-31-34 1932.jpg

Photo 19-02-18 14-31-31 1931.jpg

Photo 19-02-18 14-31-27 1930.jpg

IMG_1935.JPG

That list picture... dear lord... thats hideous. Id replace that pillar with a fresh new oem black pillar.

Lol chrome is so god damn hideous.
Sponsored