how to remove a-pillar trim

staged84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic touring
Country flag
I've been hearing rattle from driver side at low rpm. (around 1,500)
It's either coming from driver's side a-pillar or vent on top of dash.

I'd like to open it up myself and see what's going on.

If you know how to remove the trim or have a guide let me know!

Thanks!
Sponsored

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
At the very top of the A pillar is a little plate with "Side Curtain Airbag" spelled on it. That's actually a thin cover for a screw beneath it. Just stick a fine blade under its edge and pop it open to reveal the screw. Remove the screw and tug the upper part of the A pillar plastic with your fingers and it will easily give way. The bottom most part is hooked so just tilt the plastic down toward the steering wheel and it'll unhook.

OP
OP

staged84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic touring
Country flag
At the very top of the A pillar is a little plate with "Side Curtain Airbag" spelled on it. That's actually a thin cover for a screw beneath it. Just stick a fine blade under its edge and pop it open to reveal the screw. Remove the screw and tug the upper part of the A pillar plastic with your fingers and it will easily give way. The bottom most part is hooked so just tilt the plastic down toward the steering wheel and it'll unhook.
Thx, i had no idea there was screw involved. I was about to just pry it open before making the thread lol. I'm glad i asked.

nboyanov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I've been hearing rattle from driver side at low rpm. (around 1,500)
It's either coming from driver's side a-pillar or vent on top of dash.

I'd like to open it up myself and see what's going on.

If you know how to remove the trim or have a guide let me know!

Thanks!
Were you able to fix this? I have an annoying rattle coming from the driver side pillar too but I'm skeptical of opening with airbag stuff there. Thanks!

cmanman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Were you able to fix this? I have an annoying rattle coming from the driver side pillar too but I'm skeptical of opening with airbag stuff there. Thanks!
Don't know if its the same rattle, but I found my rattle to be the sun visor. When I unlatch my sun visor from the hook my rattle goes away.

Henrychurchill10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the same issue with the a-pillar rattling at low RPMs. I'm going to the dealer to get an oil change and i'm gonna have them look at it while i'm there.

jannapureddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXT
I have the same issue with the a-pillar rattling at low RPMs. I'm going to the dealer to get an oil change and i'm gonna have them look at it while i'm there.
Is your issue fixed please can you let me know even i have the same issue.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had some rattling coming from the a-pillar on uneven pavement. It stops when some pressure is applied to the pillar.

I removed the pillar and applied some weather stripping / foam tape on the pillar's two tabs that go into the dash. So far so good.

Removing the pillar is very easy. Use a small screwdriver to pop open the square cover that says SRS. It only overs a small bolt. Remove the bolt, pull down the rubber seal between the plastic a-pillar cover and the actual a-pillar. One clip mid-way down holds the a-pillar cover. Pull it gently. That's it.

Last edited:

Gozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I had some rattling coming from the a-pillar on uneven pavement. It stops when some pressure is applied to the pillar.

I removed the pillar and applied some weather stripping / foam tape on the pillar's two tabs that go into the dash. So far so good.

Removing the pillar is very easy. Use a small screwdriver to pop open the square cover that says SRS. It only overs a small bolt. Remove the bolt, pull down the rubber seal between the plastic a-pillar cover and the actual a-pillar. One clip mid-way down holds the a-pillar cover. Pull it gently. That's it.
Thank you for this info.

I am also wondering if @staged84, @nboyanov, or @Henrychurchill10 were able to figure out the cause of their noises, and if so, what was done to fix it.

Captain Falcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX
Country flag
Guys, the dealership scratched my A-pillar cover while swapping out the inspection sticker. I'm thinking of buying and swapping the A-pillar piece out myself in order to avoid getting into a conflict with the dealer (I didn't witness the action, so I can't prove it). How should I proceed and do you think I'm doing the right thing?
Sponsored