novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan 2.0L NA 6MT
Country flag
Just ordered some smoke/white LED markers. Are we looking at May 8th-15th for delivery?
Sponsored

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey everyone, Side Markers are one of the most popular 10th Gen Civic modifications that anyone with any skill level can install, and I've done my fair share by installing over 150 myself, and selling over 1000 units so I've made this video to share with you all about sealing them so they're absolutely weatherproof!

All Side Markers generally seem to be sealed well around the edges, and for the most part if you've installed them as they're meant to be with no play in the socket then yours should be fine over time. Where people run into problem with their aftermarket side marker lights, or even factory side marker lights getting spoiled by condensation is when there is play in the socket meaning you're able to wiggle it easily, OR what I want to focus on is what I've discovered in the winter time...

Honda's OE Rubber Seal that is meant to act as the guard placed between the socket and the housing becomes solid and expands in cold weather, exposing gaps through which condensation / moisture enters the Side Marker Housing. If not taken care of soon then a combination of several things happen:

- Condensation / Moisture gathers on the lens, or worse case the housing fills up
- Your single bulb / LED panel stops working
- The socket gets spoiled because water and electrical charge don't mix, and you need to buy it new from Honda. Part's less than $10

What's the preventative measure? Simply check to make sure your socket doesn't wiggle freely on the housing even if you have factory side marker lights. Then there's two methods to create a more solid seal, both being highly effective when done right.

1) Use PTFE tape, and wrap it around the socket
2) A more permanent method is using marine sealant or household caulking, and applying a layer of it around the seal and letting dry.

Here's my video, and it's kind of long for the purpose but I really wanted to share everything A to Z.
0:01 - 2:39 | Initial partially submerged seal test to check the edges where the backing plate meets the lens
2:40 - 5:39 | Special instructions on plugging in Unity Performance Side Marker Lights
5:40 - 8:22 | Sealing the socket with PTFE Tape
8:23 - 12:02 | Fully submerged test to show the effectiveness of a correctly sealed side marker with PTFE tape as added protection
12:03 - 15:34 | Ripping out the Unity Performance Side Marker + and - terminal wire on purpose to show how strong the connection is

What I didn't cover in the video is applying caulking, and that's on purpose because I wasn't going to let it dry especially since the particular housing was broken for the test so it wouldn't make sense - plus I trust the PTFE tape to be plenty sufficient. The exact side marker in the video was on my Si for over 3 months without any aids, and it performed as advertised because as I mentioned how installing it without wiggle in the first place should in most cases keep yours dry.

Hope you find value in this, feel free to ask any questions :)
Is there a better way to seal the perimeter where the clear housing meets the black plastic housing? I see the glue residue there to connect the two but do not trust it. Will a dap of marine sealer all around work? Or is there a better option? Superglue as a barrier?

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey everyone, Side Markers are one of the most popular 10th Gen Civic modifications that anyone with any skill level can install, and I've done my fair share by installing over 150 myself, and selling over 1000 units so I've made this video to share with you all about sealing them so they're absolutely weatherproof!

All Side Markers generally seem to be sealed well around the edges, and for the most part if you've installed them as they're meant to be with no play in the socket then yours should be fine over time. Where people run into problem with their aftermarket side marker lights, or even factory side marker lights getting spoiled by condensation is when there is play in the socket meaning you're able to wiggle it easily, OR what I want to focus on is what I've discovered in the winter time...

Honda's OE Rubber Seal that is meant to act as the guard placed between the socket and the housing becomes solid and expands in cold weather, exposing gaps through which condensation / moisture enters the Side Marker Housing. If not taken care of soon then a combination of several things happen:

- Condensation / Moisture gathers on the lens, or worse case the housing fills up
- Your single bulb / LED panel stops working
- The socket gets spoiled because water and electrical charge don't mix, and you need to buy it new from Honda. Part's less than $10

What's the preventative measure? Simply check to make sure your socket doesn't wiggle freely on the housing even if you have factory side marker lights. Then there's two methods to create a more solid seal, both being highly effective when done right.

1) Use PTFE tape, and wrap it around the socket
2) A more permanent method is using marine sealant or household caulking, and applying a layer of it around the seal and letting dry.

Here's my video, and it's kind of long for the purpose but I really wanted to share everything A to Z.
0:01 - 2:39 | Initial partially submerged seal test to check the edges where the backing plate meets the lens
2:40 - 5:39 | Special instructions on plugging in Unity Performance Side Marker Lights
5:40 - 8:22 | Sealing the socket with PTFE Tape
8:23 - 12:02 | Fully submerged test to show the effectiveness of a correctly sealed side marker with PTFE tape as added protection
12:03 - 15:34 | Ripping out the Unity Performance Side Marker + and - terminal wire on purpose to show how strong the connection is

What I didn't cover in the video is applying caulking, and that's on purpose because I wasn't going to let it dry especially since the particular housing was broken for the test so it wouldn't make sense - plus I trust the PTFE tape to be plenty sufficient. The exact side marker in the video was on my Si for over 3 months without any aids, and it performed as advertised because as I mentioned how installing it without wiggle in the first place should in most cases keep yours dry.

Hope you find value in this, feel free to ask any questions :)
I just bought a used 2019 Civic Type R with these side markers (white LED) and there’s condensation in the left marker light. I plan to replace both with the amber factory marker assembly.
Honda Civic 10th gen How to Properly Install + Seal Your Side Marker Lights ABE2D87C-2828-457D-A39E-4272C11A0E66

BakaSupreme

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Anyone have any experience with the HRS smoked side markers? They have good reviews but theres no install videos where people are using them so not sure how they check out other wise
Sponsored