How to measure amount of engine oil to put during oil change?

alicj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I tried to search around in this forum but didn't find much relevant information.

I've done oil change to my previous cars for a few times. The car took exactly 4.7L so I just needed to dump a whole jug in there.

Civic 1.5T only takes 3.5L. And in my experience, it was very hard to tell how much oil is in the jug from the transparent line on the jug. I'm thinking about buying a large measuring cup but that seems a bit silly. What do you guys do to measure how much oil you have put in the engine? Is there an easy way to tell oil level in the jug? Do you use the dip stick (not accurate when car is jacked up and not level)?

Also, do you guys keep the extra oil for the next change or just dump them? Seems like a waste to dump good oil.
Sponsored

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
Just eyeball it from the marks on the bottle. Point a flashlight into the bottle of you're struggling to see the marks, then judge it by the dipstick instead of the quantity. Final topping up should be done after running the engine to build oil pressure and fill up the filter.

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I use the dip stick. Fill the oil after you lower the car to the ground if you're concerned about accuracy. It doesnt have to be exact. You are allowed a range of about one quart to be inside.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I buy 4 single quart bottles and use the gauge on the side of the oil bottle. I scribe a mark just over halfway between the 20 and 24oz lines, and dump out oil into my oil catch pan (or dump it into my engine with the drain plug out then wait for it to fully drain) until that bottle reaches that mark. Bam, 3.7qt. Well, close enough

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Look up the density for your oil, determine how many grams/Oz you need. Tare it on a scale and pour :p

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
My car need 4.2 Lites of oil
I bought a 5 L jug and remove 0.8 L with a kitchen measuring cup .
I fill the engine with the jug

Honda Civic 10th gen How to measure amount of engine oil to put during oil change? Capture d’écran, le 2021-03-20 à 05.47.20

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
use the disptick, the factory made it for a reason. If you buy 4 quarts all of them empty usually bring the level right at full for me after running it for 15-20 sec and letting it rest for a minute or two.

You won't damage the engine if it's a quart below max capacity.
Sponsored