HOW TO GET MOST PERFORMANCE/ENGINE POWER OUT OF THE CVT ENGINE (NO MODS)

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
cvts were designed to maximize fuel economy. that is why they replaced traditional automatic transmissions. if you want to beat on it (as cvts are complex and expensive) id advise saving for a transmission, or get a manual trans/car. the cvt doesnt have a gear per-say, its like two cones where both are pointing at each other, and theres a giant rubber band that runs up and down the width of the cones to change the ratio. the "shifting" you feel is completely simulated. dont blow up your transmissions guys... please....
I don't disagree with your general message to not beat on a CVT. Actually, this applies to any automatic transmission. A prematurely failing automatic transmission other than a CVT has always been and still is one of the most common major car issues.

But CVT's are not more complex mechanically than sprocket-based automatics, actually they are much simpler. They are also not any more expensive to manufacture. They have less parts than traditional automatic gearboxes (unless you count all the links of the belt :p but to me it's a single part that will never be repairable). Arguably, the programming of a CVT may be a bit more involved.

It's just because of the combination of their simplicity and manufacturer's policies (pricing, training and parts availability) that broken CVTs are rarely repaired by dealers or independent shops. They are currently usually replaced and this tends to be a bit more expensive. A bit, because repairing or replacing any automatic transmission is never cheap.
Sponsored

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Albeit depending on your area you can find usually a low mileage used replacement cvt (under 20k miles) for under $1500. Cheapest I've seen was for $750 with 21.7k miles.

The Myx CVT 2step pedal acceleration method is essentially the same in theory without the risk of changing gears ("drive modes I should clarify from D or L or L to D or D to S") while at WOT.

Also should mention that there have been very few CVT failures and most are usually motor failures before the trans.

The biggest issue with brake launch a cvt is due to the huge amount of heat that is generated when you brake and throttle at the same time. That quick break down in fluid then will lead to increased wear if preventative maintenance isn't done.

Reason why I change out my fluids so often even with the amount of drag racing, roll racing, spirited driving, and track days I do.

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Best way to improve acceleration without mods. Remove weight.

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
Here is my logic on these CVT transmissions. If you don't tune your engine and get all the fluids/services done, you should be fine doing almost everything with the CVT.
thats only your own delusional logic,

that doesn't mean its true,

a CVT is not built to be beat on,

most CVT failures are the fault of the driver/owner

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've seen.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring 1.5t
Country flag
This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've seen.
You clearly don't get the issue then. Imagine hitting the pedal and every time it revs to 4k and then on random days out of the blue the car decides to reach 6k rpm and use its optimum power. Most cars usually have gear ratios such as driving at 30 and mashing the gas causes it to downshift to first gear and give the same amount of power each time it's done. In this CVT u never know what going to happen and say u wanna impress a friend it just won't do it. I'm just trying to tell people if you want ur car to give that feeling of a hard acceleration do this.

In regards to CVT failure I really believe that if u simply don't tune it, or alter the performance at all, you probably will not break it even if driven aggressive. Again I'm not 100% sure

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You clearly don't get the issue then. Imagine hitting the pedal and every time it revs to 4k and then on random days out of the blue the car decides to reach 6k rpm and use its optimum power. Most cars usually have gear ratios such as driving at 30 and mashing the gas causes it to downshift to first gear and give the same amount of power each time it's done. In this CVT u never know what going to happen and say u wanna impress a friend it just won't do it. I'm just trying to tell people if you want ur car to give that feeling of a hard acceleration do this.

In regards to CVT failure I really believe that if u simply don't tune it, or alter the performance at all, you probably will not break it even if driven aggressive. Again I'm not 100% sure

You must be young if you're worried about impressing your friends. Believe me, no one is impressed by your CVT, no matter what you do. I have a CVT, as well. It's not boring to drive as a daily, but I know what it is and don't pretend it's something more.

CVTs are fairly fragile, compared to manuals and DCTs. If you're going to abuse it, you might as well throw a low profile tune on it.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You must be young if you're worried about impressing your friends. Believe me, no one is impressed by your CVT, no matter what you do. I have a CVT, as well. It's not boring to drive as a daily, but I know what it is and don't pretend it's something more.

CVTs are fairly fragile, compared to manuals and DCTs. If you're going to abuse it, you might as well throw a low profile tune on it.
LOL I am young. But to be honest the turbo noises the car makes are so impressive and even more crazy is telling people I run 16.5Psi boost (stock, insane psi figure). Lower your right side window and if there's a wall or something that reflects sounds beside u while driving hit the throttle half way and listen to that turbo lol. I will never mod my car at all just to scared to do brake anything. All I've done was replace the stock engine filter with a higher quality aem filter (just filter, no cold air). To be honest I would recommend that to anyone its $80 but reusable to you basically get your money back over the long term and better performance. Also I have the 2016 civic touring and use the oem rims for x ice winter tires and the summers are the 2019 civic sport rims (235/40/18) with pilot sport as 3.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
LOL I am young. But to be honest the turbo noises the car makes are so impressive and even more crazy is telling people I run 16.5Psi boost (stock, insane psi figure). Lower your right side window and if there's a wall or something that reflects sounds beside u while driving hit the throttle half way and listen to that turbo lol. I will never mod my car at all just to scared to do brake anything. All I've done was replace the stock engine filter with a higher quality aem filter (just filter, no cold air). To be honest I would recommend that to anyone its $80 but reusable to you basically get your money back over the long term and better performance. Also I have the 2016 civic touring and use the oem rims for x ice winter tires and the summers are the 2019 civic sport rims (235/40/18) with pilot sport as 3.
Doesn't the Touring model have the steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters?
Why don't you just use that... you don't need keep throwing it into D and S.
The paddle shifters holds the "gear" until you shift.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Doesn't the Touring model have the steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters?
Why don't you just use that... you don't need keep throwing it into D and S.
The paddle shifters holds the "gear" until you shift.
all touring civic dont get paddles until 2018 plus i believe. But honestly, this car really sucks in terms of consistent power. I should be able to not have a guessing game with how much power i get. sometimes it wants to be fast and sometimes it just says no. so stupid.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
all touring civic dont get paddles until 2018 plus i believe. But honestly, this car really sucks in terms of consistent power. I should be able to not have a guessing game with how much power i get. sometimes it wants to be fast and sometimes it just says no. so stupid.
Oh you're right! Damn.

33light

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic ex 2021
Country flag
Myx, our resident drag racer uses L for all his 1/4 runs as far as I know. I wouldn't use it all the time but from time to time it should be OK.

The one thing you NEVER want to do with a CVT is brake launch it. The other thing to do on a tuned car is use boost by gear in the "low "gears to preserve the CVT.
I’ve brake launched it 3-4 times when I first got the car, before finding out it’s dangerous and haven’t done it since. That was a year and 10k miles ago, any idea if I’ll have any long term damage from that?
Sponsored