How to Establish an ADB Connection (US Models)

Deep

First Name
Deepam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Country flag
UPDATE: http://www.civicx.com/threads/finally-custom-apk-installs-na-model.12632/

Hey guys!
After seeing a few days ago that the "passcord" was found, I found a way to establish an ADB connection with my head unit as well. However, this doesn't mean root or installing apks yet.

I decided to make a quick guide on how to establish an ADB connection with the head unit. Before getting started you'll need two things:
  • The latest Android SDK Tools.
  • USB A to A cable with the ability to transfer data (I bought this one off Amazon)

Now to get started:
1. Enable developer settings on your Android head unit
2. Enter developer settings and enable USB debugging.

3.Next press the power, menu, and brightness button at once, and hold until you enter a new menu with two options. Click the bottom option called Detail Information & Settings.

4. Now hold the menu key to enter another menu.

5. Finally, hold the home key enter the last menu. You should first hear two consecutive beeps and then one final beep.

6. Now you should connect your laptop to the front Android Auto/CarPlay Port using the USB A to A cable.

7. Lastly, change the role of USB Port from Host to Device.

8. Your laptop should automatically install the drivers, and to check if you're connected just type in the command "ADB devices" and your head unit should show up.

9. Once you're all done make sure to change the setting back to host or carplay/android auto may not work.

From here on out you can access all ADB functions that don't require root. Sadly, I couldn't get the same root method used in the pilot/accord to work. That method required swapping out the "factory_reset.sh" file with a modified one, but I can't find any file like that on the civic.
Sponsored

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Sweet, my USB A to A cable should be getting delivered on Thursday. Nice work, I definitely wouldn't have known how to get in to change that USB port setting to Host!

OP
OP

Deep

First Name
Deepam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Country flag
Sweet, my USB A to A cable should be getting delivered on Thursday. Nice work, I definitely wouldn't have known how to get in to change that USB port setting to Host!
Mitsubishi has made these head units a pain in the ass. I wasn't expecting three hidden menus either and almost thought that was a joke haha.

DoodleDave

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm having trouble with this. For some reason my head unit does not show up. When I plug the USB in and change the head unit to device nothing shows up in the computer and the screen doesn't show that is is even connected. How do you retain the settings you make in this menu? Does this mean I can change the USB port where I get Android auto?

lebshiff21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatch
I'm having trouble with this. For some reason my head unit does not show up. When I plug the USB in and change the head unit to device nothing shows up in the computer and the screen doesn't show that is is even connected. How do you retain the settings you make in this menu? Does this mean I can change the USB port where I get Android auto?
Did you buy a cable or make one?

Joeyoo2

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic
Country flag
7. Lastly, change the role of USB Port from Host to Device.

8. Your laptop should automatically install the drivers, and to check if you're connected just type in the command "ADB devices" and your head unit should show up.

9. Once you're all done make sure to change the setting back to host or carplay/android auto may not work.

This may be a silly question, so please forgive me (since I am an Apple guy, not Android); but how do I change the role of the USB port from Host to Device, and then change it back (after the fact)?

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
This may be a silly question, so please forgive me (since I am an Apple guy, not Android); but how do I change the role of the USB port from Host to Device, and then change it back (after the fact)?
You are responding to an old thread. The other thread is much more up to date.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/finally-custom-apk-installs-na-model.12632/

Your answer can be found here
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-how-to-enter-developer-mode-2017-t3621582
Sponsored