How to enjoy sunroof?

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I live in Houston where it gets hella hot. I tried turning off my AC and driving with the roof open and windows open but I nearly died from the heat.

How are you supposed to enjoy this thing?

Occasionally I'll slide open the shade and leave the glass on to let my backseat passengers enjoy the "view."

The sunroof is behind my noggin head so I can't enjoy any views unless I'm parked and looking up or something.

How do you enjoy this sunroof? Are you supposed to turn off the AC? I don't want my pre$cious cold air to leave my car.

Also does the extra wind noise and stuff supposed to be bothersome or is that like part of the appeal? More outside noise?
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I use it on a cloudy day LOL and normally just keep the shade open at all times.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Haha, first world problems at its finest!

It's actually quite nice in spring/fall, when it's not hot as fuck. I leave mine tilted open during those times, except on highways when it's always closed.

greyclocked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic LX
Country flag
My buddy sells cars (not honda) and shared a bit of info:

Sunroofs are a great selling point at a dealership level, but unfortunately have a history of being expensive problems down the road. The way he put it was that you go with a customer on a test drive and casually "offer to crack open the sunroof for them." People (he claims) always say SURE. He says he will close it quickly if it is a hot day so the customer does not realize how obnoxious it is to have the blazing sun on your head for that long commute to work every day.

From my personal experience, homes which have the roof windows for light, the seals around these things age and go bad very frequently. I used to live on a subtropical island and most cars that hit the 10-15year mark with sunroofs had rust spots around them and/or leaks.

With that said... if my LX had a sunroof I would enjoy the hell out of it on nice days that are not too hot !

Last edited:

J4Berg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Agean Blue
Country flag
When my balls stop sticking to my thighs and Satan himself isn't in my back seat laughing meniacally about the temps being on par with the surface of the sun, I typically enjoy the sunroof fall and spring but I will use it a lot early evenings and night when it's not as hot. I will use it on days when the humidity isn't high and I'll leave the AC on. A little counter productive but you get the warmth of the sun with a little blast of the AC. Best of both worlds.

I also use it in winter when it's not a blizzard out. Crank the heat and turn on the seat warmers and get the occasional blast of cold air.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I live in Houston where it gets hella hot. I tried turning off my AC and driving with the roof open and windows open but I nearly died from the heat.

How are you supposed to enjoy this thing?

Occasionally I'll slide open the shade and leave the glass on to let my backseat passengers enjoy the "view."

The sunroof is behind my noggin head so I can't enjoy any views unless I'm parked and looking up or something.

How do you enjoy this sunroof? Are you supposed to turn off the AC? I don't want my pre$cious cold air to leave my car.

Also does the extra wind noise and stuff supposed to be bothersome or is that like part of the appeal? More outside noise?
DM, Texans like you and I only have a limited, ahem, window to enjoy our sunroofs... Wait until like late October through December when AC becomes more optional instead of mandatory and then the sunroof becomes a gift from above - literally! Then perhaps around March until May, if we don't get rained upon, there's still yet another chance to pop the top before we must shield ourselves to the impending heat and humidity that is our reality.

TL; DR - just wait til the fall and springtime. :D

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
As someone who also lives in Texas I have used the sunroof in my '02 Si maybe two times in 14 years, can't even remember the last time I even opened the sliding shade panel.

Sunroofs are pretty much pointless in SE Texas IMO and it's one of the reasons I wish sunroofs were an option rather than standard on cars like the Si (assuming the upcoming Si will have a sunroof standard). You rarely get to use it and overtime you end up with roof rattles, possible leaks and increased weight in the worst possible spot.

CBR600F4i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
It's the most useless feature on a car ever. But it's an enduring gimmick no doubt. I think its appeal is in the fact that it's more of a status symbol than anything. If your car has a sunroof it is a top trim level with all the features.

In the summer it's too hot and in the winter too cold so I suppose maybe in the spring or fall but in Toronto both are notoriously short and cold. Also the blazing sun doesn't help either. So yeah late spring, summer and early fall evenings when the sun is already down are probably best. But then it's hardly a sunroof, is it?

OP
OP
D Money

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks, guys. Disappointing.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...I guess I'm the odd man out. I can stand moonroof and windows open on shorter drives, and open it during my morning commute (aka, before the sun comes up).

I get used to the wind noise after a few minutes. I just turn the music up a little higher and I'm good to go. Also helps that I find this moonroof way quieter than my old car.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My buddy sells cars (not honda) and shared a bit of info:

Sunroofs are a great selling point at a dealership level, but unfortunately have a history of being expensive problems down the road. The way he put it was that you go with a customer on a test drive and casually "offer to crack open the sunroof for them." People (he claims) always say SURE. He says he will close it quickly if it is a hot day so the customer does not realize how obnoxious it is to have the blazing sun on your head for that long commute to work every day.

From my personal experience, homes which have the roof windows for light, the seals around these things age and go bad very frequently. I used to live on a subtropical island and most cars that hit the 10-15year mark with sunroofs had rust spots around them and/or leaks.

With that said... if my LX had a sunroof I would enjoy the hell out of it on nice days that are not too hot !
Had 3 cars with sun/moonroof and loved all 3. Our '89 Probe was aftermarket and after 5 or 6 years would drip or have moisture on it in one place after a monsoon. Quick fixed with a piece of monofilament line in the rubber seal. Had car for 16 years. Our 2 Honda Civics have never had a moonroof problem. I'd be the first to admit that we only open it 2 or 3 times a year but the grandkids love it and we got a great shot of the "drivethru" Redwood when we were out West. The Civic's best moonroof feature is the shade which is only used on very bright days. No moonroof may be a deal-breaker for us on the CTR.

Last edited:

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
The interior brightens up with the shade open. If you like driving with your window down and no AC, like I do, the breeze changes direction to come right across your face and head before exiting the roof, which is nice. It's pretty temperate where I live, though, and I don't NEED it to be exactly 85F or so all of the time.

Otherwise, it's like your house. Keep those big windows closed with the curtains drawn and the AC cranked!

J4Berg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Agean Blue
Country flag
Up here there is nothing like a taking a long drive in the middle of fall with the leaves changing color and the air is cool and crisp with the windows down and the sunroof open.

Bring on hoodie weather.