How to enjoy sunroof?

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP, 2023 Tesla Model Y Perf
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Next best thing to a convertible top. Cali has the near perfect weather for having it open or tilted. O love driving with the sunroof open on PCH, at the Coast, and most of all 17-mile drive in Monterey's Pebble Beach!
Sponsored

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
You can't enjoy it. It's a gimmick.

Negan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batmobile
I really wish I could just pay $500 (or whatever adding the moonroof costs) less for car for it to explicitly not have a one. It's such a useless "feature". What are you gonna do, look up into the sky as you're driving? In the 9 years that I've had my current car, I've used the moonroof maybe 5 times, and each time I wondered "why do people care about having this thing???".

If you want the car to feel open when you drive, get a convertible. Better yet, get a motorcycle.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I really wish I could just pay $500 (or whatever adding the moonroof costs) less for car for it to explicitly not have a one. It's such a useless "feature". What are you gonna do, look up into the sky as you're driving? In the 9 years that I've had my current car, I've used the moonroof maybe 5 times, and each time I wondered "why do people care about having this thing???".

If you want the car to feel open when you drive, get a convertible. Better yet, get a motorcycle.

I thought I was the only one who didn't care for the sun roof, but looks like a lot of people here feel the same way. I almost never drive with the windows down b/c the interior gets even more dusty. I prefer to use the A/C. I'd skip the sunroof even if it meant $200 less on the car. Just not something I really care for. The only time I have slide the shade back was when it was raining very hard here (not often). It's sorta cool to see the rain on the roof.

Aside from that, DGAF.

Imolared

OzCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VTI-LX - DOB: 18 Jan 2017, Delivery: 1 March 2017
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Moonroof in tilt position then crack one of the rear window open. Works great for me.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...I never knew a moonroof was such a contentious subject. Today I Learned.

ci_curious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LX Sedan w/ Honda Sensing in Cosmic Blue
Does anybody have a sense of how much headroom, especially in the second row, you lose from the moonroof? Don't get me wrong, I love the sun and wind, but with wrestling little kids into car seats, the loss of headroom mentioned in passing in a couple reviews is one reason I am thinking the LX might be better for us. But I don't know how much is really lost, anyone can comment? Thanks!

Florida_Frank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L; 2014 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Does anybody have a sense of how much headroom, especially in the second row, you lose from the moonroof? Don't get me wrong, I love the sun and wind, but with wrestling little kids into car seats, the loss of headroom mentioned in passing in a couple reviews is one reason I am thinking the LX might be better for us. But I don't know how much is really lost, anyone can comment? Thanks!
Your best bet would be to go to a dealer's lot and stick your head into the back of both configurations.

ACG12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You can't enjoy it. It's a gimmick.
Yup, It adds weight and makes your car hotter. If you want to see above you, get a convertible.

I absolutely hate them and I wished it were an optional feature on higher level trims of all makes.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hopefully Donald Trump signs an executive order soon banning sunroofs which I'd greatly welcome. #MakeAmericaSunrooflessAgain

"Mmmmk. Your car has glass VIN etching and a sunroof. It came like that. Can't do nuttin' 'bout it. That's another $6,000. kk thnx."

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hopefully Donald Trump signs an executive order soon banning sunroofs which I'd greatly welcome. #MakeAmericaSunrooflessAgain

"Mmmmk. Your car has glass VIN etching and a sunroof. It came like that. Can't do nuttin' 'bout it. That's another $6,000. kk thnx."
Did Donald design the CTR?

MaineDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual, 2012 CR-V
Country flag
Here in Maine, the Moonroof is fantastic! Lets in good light all winter, and fresh air the rest of the year.

I've owned 6+ cars with moonroofs, and want this feature whenever possible. In fact, I had a Saab 9-3 Convertible and believe it or not, I missed the extra light from a moonroof when the top was up!

GeoUSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Is there an emoticon for a dead horse? Just read through four pages of this thread and did not see this...

In winter (maybe not helpful in Texas) I leave the shade open while parked to warm the interior of the car for when I return. On summer days when rain is not likely I leave it in the tilt position when parked to allow hot air to escape. On comfortable days I turn off climate control, tilt it open, and lower the back windows a bit. And the #1 use for my moonroof: The dog loves it!
Sponsored