How to enjoy sunroof?

Ant918

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I usually just open up the shade part once in awhile to remind me I have one lol. Too worried about opening the actual sunroof and having something break. As a side note, I wish using the "all windows open" trick on the fob would just roll down the windows and not open the sunroof also. Id like to cool the car off for a little before leaving work but I'm worried about the damned birds lol.
Sponsored

Florida_Frank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L; 2014 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
It's plenty hot here in Florida, too. When I get in the hot car, I will slide the shade back, pop-up the rear edge of the roof window (as opposed to sliding it open), and drive for a few minutes with the AC not on recirculating before closing everything back up and putting the AC on recirculating. That helps to suck the hot air out of the car.

HondaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I live in Houston where it gets hella hot. I tried turning off my AC and driving with the roof open and windows open but I nearly died from the heat.

How are you supposed to enjoy this thing?

Occasionally I'll slide open the shade and leave the glass on to let my backseat passengers enjoy the "view."

The sunroof is behind my noggin head so I can't enjoy any views unless I'm parked and looking up or something.

How do you enjoy this sunroof? Are you supposed to turn off the AC? I don't want my pre$cious cold air to leave my car.

Also does the extra wind noise and stuff supposed to be bothersome or is that like part of the appeal? More outside noise?

Also, to let you know, it is officially called a "MOONROOF" and not a sunroof!

I agree with you though, I live up here in Dallas and I am hot natured anyway!

When I have had cars with a moonroof, I hardly ever opened them!

You would best use them in cooler weather (spring or fall)!

Julie1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring MSM
Country flag
I love mine and was so happy the Civic came with one. I'm in Kansas and it's been pretty hot here this summer, hovering in the upper 90s, and I still use it. I don't open it on the highway, usually only on city streets. When it's hot I have the AC on but I'm also one to open the windows on cooler days and turn the heat up. Can't wait to use the heated seats and moonroof this fall! I also ride a motorcycle so maybe I just like the wind in my hair and the sun on my face. :p

Chris G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX, 2010 Toyota Prius
I really like having a sunroof. On hot days I don't usually use it but it can be helpful for letting heat out on a hot day when parked in the sun. I tilt it up and close the slider to about 80% to keep the sun out. The hot air now has a way to get out. It helps to crack one or more of the windows too. I generally keep it closed on the freeway but I like the ambiance when the slider is back and the sunlight comes in. Spring and fall I drive all the time with it tilted up. I rarely slide the glass back.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Use it with the moonroof visor. Shades out about 40 of the sun, so you can actually use it on some sunny days. Also, it makes it super quiet with it fully open even, you can easily have a normal volume conversation and you can hardly tell its open, while enjoying lots of fresh air. Moonroof visor ftw.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to enjoy sunroof? ima

Honda Civic 10th gen How to enjoy sunroof? ima

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I love it personally, I usually have it cracked of the sun is in a position where it will be attacking me while driving. It creates a vacuum while cracked which pulls the air from the inside vents if it's set to pass through, so I usually have it cracked when I don't have the ac.

Edit: Also, I open it almost every day. It only gets behind my sunglasses between 5 and 7 pm.

Last edited:

comptonx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Country flag
I rarely use my sunroof. Every time I slide back the shade, sun blasts me in the eyes. I think that I have probably opened sunroom only 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years. Must be cloudy and I have to be on slow back roads or the road noise detracts from the experience.

Markdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2010 Civic LXS, 2007 Civic EX
Having a "moonroof" on my 2007, 2010 and 2016 Civic I can say they are great for making the car feel more open and for brightening up the cabin during the day. Short of cracking it open on sunny but cooler day to increase ventilation with A/C off they are of little to no value. I never open it fully and often have the shade closed. I wanted to tint it on the 2016 but the tint guy talked me out of it, something about heat built up and glass could explode. Sounded like BS to me.

CANMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I concur, a useless feature. I have my sunroof tinted and leave the shade closed about 98% of the time. Hate the sun beating down onto me. If they made a made a top of the line model without sunroof or leather thats what I would be driving.

MaximusBKK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring Sedan + a few non-Hondas
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only answer for me is that the sunroof almost doesn't exist unless it's spring or fall. It never gets opened in the winter, and in the summer the only rare time would be if I'm driving through a national park or somewhere with a lot of trees.

Yesterday was a balmy 75 degrees here, so I drove around with it open in the morning and close to evening. When the sun is right above it's annoying, though.

I don't think that mechanical problems are a valid reason not to use it, as they are rare. I even drove a BMW 740iL for years (which is notorious for sunroof problems), and I still only had a problem with it once.

Use it with the moonroof visor. Shades out about 40 of the sun, so you can actually use it on some sunny days. Also, it makes it super quiet with it fully open even, you can easily have a normal volume conversation and you can hardly tell its open, while enjoying lots of fresh air. Moonroof visor ftw.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
I'm not sure I'm a fan of the look it gives to the top of the car, but that is definitely a practical addition to a sunroof. I'm sure it solves all of the annoyances of having the sunroof open. Good call.

On a side note, great choice with the BNP! That really is a fantastic color on this car. Perhaps it's because I rarely see it, but I feel like that's my second favorite color.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I concur, a useless feature. I have my sunroof tinted and leave the shade closed about 98% of the time. Hate the sun beating down onto me. If they made a made a top of the line model without sunroof or leather thats what I would be driving.
Then the CTR is your car - no moonroof or leather (seats that is). The Civic Sport will likely have this combo when, if it ever arrives.

kqn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use my sunroof everyday driving to work and driving home from work. I usually close it if the wind slows down my mpg but sometimes it's pushing me for extra mpg. :) I like to use and have the car fan on, but not ac aimed at the legs. It's a very nice feeling. I didn't have a car with a sunroof before this. Cherishing features.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I wish using the "all windows open" trick on the fob would just roll down the windows and not open the sunroof also. Id like to cool the car off for a little before leaving work but I'm worried about the damned birds lol.
I tried using the windows-down for that too but didn't like the sun coming through the open sunroof heating up my black leather so much.

I haven't actually tried it yet, but from looking at the manual, it looks like the moonroof has its own fuse in the fusebox. So it should be possible to remove that fuse and get the behavior you described. Of course, you'd no longer be able to use your sunroof anymore.
Sponsored

Last edited: