How to change your manual transmission fluid on your 10th gen (video tutorial)

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys,

Just dropped part 2 of our 3 part tech series on critical fluids. This one covers how to change the manual transmission fluid on your 2016+ Civic. In this video, the demo car was again Ryans 2017 Civic Type R but the procedure is similar for all the manual 10th gens.

I hope you guys find this video helpful, drop any questions below or on our YouTube channel.

Sponsored

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Air intake box doesn't need to be removed on the 1.5T. Fill plug is easily accessible with a long extension.

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (Boost Blue)
Country flag
Bringing this back from semi-dead.
First off, thanks for posting this! Helpful since I'm about to do a fluid swap to the Amsoil SM.

So at 3:11 in the video (shown below) it's says to remove this bolt until fluid is seen flowing out of it.
Question is, if I know that Honda calls for 2 quarts of trans fluid, why would I remove this bolt, when I can just put the 2 quarts in the fill hole, put the filler plug back in, and call it a day ?? If you know, def help me see what I'm missing here...thanks everyone!

Honda Civic 10th gen How to change your manual transmission fluid on your 10th gen (video tutorial) upload_2020-2-11_16-57-52

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
No mention of any CRUSH WASHER ??

Does the Transmission Drain Plug have a washer, and if so, is it a Crush Washer, and is so, should a new one be used each time one removes the drain plug. ??

If it does not have a Crush washer, then why, when the Engine Oil drain plug requires one ??

chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic sport hatchback 6mt
Country flag
The drain plug does have a crush washer (20mm id). The fill plug does not have a crush washer. As for the question about the check bolt, thats so you can verify that you have filled the transmission to the correct level. I get what you're saying about draining it and filling it with the 2 quarts capacity. You may not have drained everything so simply adding 2 quarts would actually overfill the transmission.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
The drain plug does have a crush washer (20mm id). The fill plug does not have a crush washer. As for the question about the check bolt, thats so you can verify that you have filled the transmission to the correct level. I get what you're saying about draining it and filling it with the 2 quarts capacity. You may not have drained everything so simply adding 2 quarts would actually overfill the transmission.
Thanks .. so one should replace that Crush washer when doing the tranmission change,

@ OP While I appreciate the time & effort people go to to make Tutorial Videos, making a video with incorrect information, or missing significant important facts, is probably more of a hindrance than a help :( - especially when you present yourself as a "professional Expert)

chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic sport hatchback 6mt
Country flag
You should always replace crush washers in all applications.

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bringing this back from semi-dead.
First off, thanks for posting this! Helpful since I'm about to do a fluid swap to the Amsoil SM.

So at 3:11 in the video (shown below) it's says to remove this bolt until fluid is seen flowing out of it.
Question is, if I know that Honda calls for 2 quarts of trans fluid, why would I remove this bolt, when I can just put the 2 quarts in the fill hole, put the filler plug back in, and call it a day ?? If you know, def help me see what I'm missing here...thanks everyone!

upload_2020-2-11_16-57-52.png
Technically you can do just that and be fine. I think the filler plug by Honda is mainly just a double check sort of thing. I have done it both ways to be fair and no issues either way.

Matt Noke

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just drained my 2017 civic SI and there is 3 quarts of fluid in my drain pan!?
Sponsored