How to change Transmission Oil on 1.5T CVT

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
How much are you guys paying for the honda HCF2 fluid from the dealer? I decided to do this myself since the dealer wants to charge $219 for a drain and fill service.
i don't care how much the honda fluid is, i will be paying whatever price they ask when its time for me to change my CVT fluid

no aftermarket junk is going into my CVT
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I wonder why would anyone use anything else based on some cheesy advertising (ours is like fresh sweet honey) without knowing jack about CVTs and CVT fluids.
Honda Civic 10th gen How to change Transmission Oil on 1.5T CVT 81BDEAEC-2D1F-4ADC-9AE0-59D7A9EE825E

Shipping adds some $3 per bottle. Some dealers have it at a similar price about $11 or less, some charge more.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just did mine for the 2nd time, I'm at 110,000 miles, been Ktuned since 63,000. 1st change was at 49,000. I used hcf 2 again. I get it from a Honda dealer I have a discount on parts. Cost me $9.86 a quart. The oil was a little darker than new oil but not bad looking imo.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to change Transmission Oil on 1.5T CVT 20201121_094452

DamonPS

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX CVT Hatch
Country flag
I changed my trans fluid about 10k miles back, used some shitty generic STP CVT fluid (Wasn't able to acquire HCF2 or Amsoil in time with service, I figured generic would be fine) after about 5k miles, I noticed some slight slip while at WOT around 5k RPM. I figured it was a one time thing, I was wrong. The slipping only got worse over the next thousand or so miles, it even started slipping during normal driving conditions (especially bad/noticeable in stop and go or slow traffic, maintaining 10MPH was by far the worst/most noticeable, really bad lurch and bite effect.) I bought 8qt of HCF2 and flushed out the trans. Now the transmission doesn't slip during normal driving, but I have a permanent slip at WOT around 5k, it's very brief, but my instincts tell me I did some permanent damage.

Moral of the story: Don't use shitty generic fluid
Maintenance Minder triggers every 30k miles or so, which is about every 3rd oil change. If you are driving in more severe conditions like mountains then every 25k is recommended, which is about every other oil change.

I got a 2017 hatch, EX 1.5t that I got at 17k miles in January 2020. I have 46k miles on it now. All hard miles (stop n go, fast gorge cornering runs, Uber, road trips, 0 to 60's)

And I've only gotten oil change reminders and nothing else... is that normal?

Also can you explain in a little more detail about shudder? Bite? Slipping? Jerkyness, Because I have been wondering if maybe mine is doing this too? But idk what or how to describe what they feel like or what's happening... I did how ever buy the 150k mile warranty though....

Also been looking but how to change my oil for it because of maybe feeling these things? If only someone can describe them for me better? Or around what rpm or speed you notice it /what I should be feeling or seeing in the speedometer that might be a give away?

Should I bring it in and have Honda look at it?

Shawn2shawn

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
I have also liked AMSOIL in my other cars. My research on CVT oils has mostly yielded marketing crap. That said, I suspect Honda's HCF-2 will perform similarly to AMSOIL CVT, with AMSOIL slightly outperforming in some aspects (as it usually does). I am actually going to use AMSOIL on my next change. On this change I wanted to keep using the Honda HCF-2 since it was my first attempt at the job and I didn't want to introduce any variables in case I did something stupid along the way. In retrospect that concern was totally unfounded.
U can't never completely drained out a cvt transmission fluid, my tuner warned me to use the oem cvt fluid when changing or your risking mixture of different oil

DamonPS

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
U can't never completely drained out a cvt transmission fluid, my tuner warned me to use the oem cvt fluid when changing or your risking mixture of different oil
Idk who you want to choose to believe... but I watched this video...

And this guy said that mixing oils is absolutely okay, they put in half.... drove it around... then drained and filled a second time.

I've also heard that about engine oil too. I've switched from honda oil to valvoline, then to Royal Purple and back to valvoline.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've been using Amsoil cvt fluid for the last year and a half just as I did on my previous Accord Sport. It is a quality fluid that works well.

Just make sure to do 2 drain and fills to get more of the old fluid out.

DamonPS

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've been using Amsoil cvt fluid for the last year and a half just as I did on my previous Accord Sport. It is a quality fluid that works well.

Just make sure to do 2 drain and fills to get more of the old fluid out.
Where do you buy? No stores near me carry amsoil anything

DamonPS

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a local distributor close by but have ordered online before and had it shipped.
Oh cool, the closest official amsoil dealer is 50min drive.... ?‍♂... at this point I've probably done triple that checking 30+ stores in my area, autozones and advanced autos (some carry but not local ones) mom and pop stores garages.. walmarts.. oi vay

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I have also liked AMSOIL in my other cars. My research on CVT oils has mostly yielded marketing crap. That said, I suspect Honda's HCF-2 will perform similarly to AMSOIL CVT, with AMSOIL slightly outperforming in some aspects (as it usually does). I am actually going to use AMSOIL on my next change. On this change I wanted to keep using the Honda HCF-2 since it was my first attempt at the job and I didn't want to introduce any variables in case I did something stupid along the way. In retrospect that concern was totally unfounded.
Have you tried amsoils cvt fluid yet?

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Does anyone know of a video on how to change the cvt filter I found one for 2015 but it's not our gen obviously.