Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I used Amsoil previously in my Accord Sport and it worked very well. I plan on doing 2 drain and fills with Amsoil when I change it in the spring. I'd rather have a higher percentage of the same fluid than a 50 50 mix. All future changes will be 1 drain and fill.
If I were to do the 2 drain and fills, do you take your car around the block to get some fluid circulating or no
Sponsored

Apesc88

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic sport Hatch
Country flag
I got a 2017 hatch, EX 1.5t that I got at 17k miles in January 2020. I have 46k miles on it now. All hard miles (stop n go, fast gorge cornering runs, Uber, road trips, 0 to 60's)

And I've only gotten oil change reminders and nothing else... is that normal?

Also can you explain in a little more detail about shudder? Bite? Slipping? Jerkyness, Because I have been wondering if maybe mine is doing this too? But idk what or how to describe what they feel like or what's happening... I did how ever buy the 150k mile warranty though....

Also been looking but how to change my oil for it because of maybe feeling these things? If only someone can describe them for me better? Or around what rpm or speed you notice it /what I should be feeling or seeing in the speedometer that might be a give away?

Should I bring it in and have Honda look at it?
I’m curious about this too. I feel like at slow speeds my car does bump/jerk and when I’m slowing down to a stop and go. This worries me, but I’m not sure if I should change the fluid or if it’s something else? I have 33,000 Miles on the car, after one year. So, a lot of driving. But I keep hearing mixed messages about changing thr CVT fluid, and how often to do it…

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m curious about this too. I feel like at slow speeds my car does bump/jerk and when I’m slowing down to a stop and go. This worries me, but I’m not sure if I should change the fluid or if it’s something else? I have 33,000 Miles on the car, after one year. So, a lot of driving. But I keep hearing mixed messages about changing thr CVT fluid, and how often to do it…
They recommend 30k fluid change or 25k if you are basically hard on the cvt or go up mountain a lot?. I'm only going to be changing brands of oil since I'm tuned and I've heard nothing but great things about amsoil

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They recommend 30k fluid change or 25k if you are basically hard on the cvt or go up mountain a lot?. I'm only going to be changing brands of oil since I'm tuned and I've heard nothing but great things about amsoil
And I feel the same thing it's just the cvt

biz4two

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Touring 10th Gen
Great write up, thanks!! ;)

Does Honda Service Data require the CVT be at a certain temperature (range), when checking the level of the fluid??

I ask, because many Euro vehicles with the DSG (bmw, audi/vw, mercedes, etc) do have a set parameter for fluid temperature due to thermo-expansion. Thanks.

biz

Govols123

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L w/1.5 liter turbo
Country flag
What is the purpose of heating up transmission/engine before draining? Is it to stir up fluid and get as many impurities out vs letting fluid cool and crud settling in pan thus not getting removed during a drain and fill? Also, a couple of different Honda dealers have told me there is no recommendation to change CVT filter in the 2020 Civic Ex-L CVT w/1.5 liter turbo engine; drain and fill (no flush) is all they do.

in.the.wind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK7
Country flag
What is the purpose of heating up transmission/engine before draining? Is it to stir up fluid and get as many impurities out vs letting fluid cool and crud settling in pan thus not getting removed during a drain and fill? Also, a couple of different Honda dealers have told me there is no recommendation to change CVT filter in the 2020 Civic Ex-L CVT w/1.5 liter turbo engine; drain and fill (no flush) is all they do.
From my understanding it will pull out as much fluid as needed easier due to viscosity of cold start vs running temp. The crud/stuff at bottom of the pan might also flow better with hotter fluid as you pointed out. This is all a assumption on my part tho.

Just cause the steal-ership doesnt have a recommendation doesnt mean it shouldnt be done eventually. (Quick 50$ preventative maitenance can save you big $$$ down the road.) I bought the CVT oil cooler/ warmer filter w/ all three O rings and will be replacing it probably within next two CVT fluid changes.

I'm at about 49-50K miles and have had my fluid changed once already (38-39K miles) due to driving hard on it since I bought it at 23K miles. My garage said when I changed it my fluid was still bright and nice. So waiting on it hitting 65K or so before I change the fluid again. Then at around 90K ill probably end up changing the filter for good measure. I also now regularly maitenance my own vehicle so we'll see how it looks after that long.

Govols123

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This CVT has a cooler on it correct? I know a cooler helps extend transmission life. How do you get to the filter; they told me it was inside CVT and required a lot of labor. Also, is Honda HCF-2 fluid fully synthetic? I currently run Amsoil CVT synthetic fluid. Not the I’ve also got a 2004 Toyota Tacoma that I’ve run the best Amsoil motor oil and transmission fluid in and it runs brand new with no leaks at 290k so I’m sold on it (also added cooler to transmission in truck years ago which I’m sure helped with life).

Govols123

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
One more question, is the fluid level top off bolt (12 mm head) the bolt directly above drain plug in attached pic?

Honda Civic 10th gen How to change Transmission Oil on 1.5T CVT 71D0814A-E693-4483-AA9B-0A70997FF003

Nutmeg_Runner

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic 1.5T
Country flag
The 12 mm bolt pictured is removed with a change to let you know when you have refilled with enough fluid. The fill point is on top of the transmission. It is a plug with a label on it.

Nutmeg_Runner

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic 1.5T
Country flag
I just did my first fluid change but it left me with a question. I found another plug on the transmission. Does anyone know its purpose? It is on the front and lower down than the fill plug. In this photo it is a little blurry but the plug handle has light rust on it so is orange in the photo.
Honda Civic 10th gen How to change Transmission Oil on 1.5T CVT IMG_2205[1].JPG

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This CVT has a cooler on it correct? I know a cooler helps extend transmission life. How do you get to the filter; they told me it was inside CVT and required a lot of labor. Also, is Honda HCF-2 fluid fully synthetic? I currently run Amsoil CVT synthetic fluid. Not the I’ve also got a 2004 Toyota Tacoma that I’ve run the best Amsoil motor oil and transmission fluid in and it runs brand new with no leaks at 290k so I’m sold on it (also added cooler to transmission in truck years ago which I’m sure helped with life).
i think the cvt cooler is discontinued

ColdHowlz

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Does anyone know the part number for the Filler/Check bolt washer and the Drain plug washer?

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Did my first change today, at 30k miles. Those miles are 90% city driving, so figure it's about time.

Used ramps in the front and jack stands in rear, to get the car level. Drained out about 3.7 quarts, and after 4 quarts, nothing was draining out the weep hole.

The car ran flawlessly, so I'm not worried about the discrepancy per se, but I would have been happier to see some fluid spill out.

The fluid was a little dark, but not burned or anything. I change the engine oil at 5k, and that looked noticeably worse for wear in comparison.
Sponsored