How to change rear brake pads - retract parking brake?

Mike2954...

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic type r
Country flag
So, just to be clear, i can chock the front wheels, release the parking brake, and use a brake tool (the push kind) to push the piston back? I keep seeing that you have to disengage the parking brake or mess with the sensors.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
So, just to be clear, i can chock the front wheels, release the parking brake, and use a brake tool (the push kind) to push the piston back? I keep seeing that you have to disengage the parking brake or mess with the sensors.
That has worked for some people, but other people have run into problems where the electronic parking brake displays an error. Honda’s recommended procedure is to either manually retract the epb or use a dongle such as the Autel AP200 to command the ECU to retract it for you.

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
Do not push the piston in, it needs to be turned in. That's why people are breaking their calipers. Just go to AutoZone, Advanced, etc. and borrow a brake change kit for free. No disassembly of the entire brake or special electronic dongle needed, 20 mins and you're done.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Do not push the piston in, it needs to be turned in. That's why people are breaking their calipers. Just go to AutoZone, Advanced, etc. and borrow a brake change kit for free. No disassembly of the entire brake or special electronic dongle needed, 20 mins and you're done.
I have seen cases on here of people doing this and something breaking with the EPB.

I’m not saying it will definitely break, but taking the actuator off and manually retracting the spindle with an E11 socket is very easy, and guarantees a proper job.

the caliper piston can be pushed in OR turned in. It can ONLY be pushed in if you manually retract the E11 torx spindle.

Turning in the piston without manually retracting the parking mechanism can cause something to go wrong. If you manually turn the EPB spindle clockwise (looking at the spindle) until it locks, you can then push the caliper piston in with a tool/c-clamp, whatever you like.

Brandoniscool

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic lx
Country flag
So I am going to change to Carbotech XP8 in the rear, normally when you chnage brake pads for cars with electric parking brake you have to retract the caliper (For instance using VAG-COM on an Audi). So how do you do this on a Honda? Is there a similar tool as VCDS for Hondas?
For anyone curious on how to change these brakes very easily , you turn off the parking brake , and when you have the caliper and brakes off remove 2 screws from the back of the black electronic motor and you have to turn the screw on that motor whilst compressing the piston in

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I just changed my rear pads without reading about the procedure to put the rear parking brake maintenance mode. I used standard twisting rear brake compression tool. Everything turned out fine. You absolutely need to disconnect the wire harness to the parking brake. Don't risk damaging those wires to save a few minutes.

roro40p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 TYPE R-11883
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just changed my rear pads without reading about the procedure to put the rear parking brake maintenance mode. I used standard twisting rear brake compression tool. Everything turned out fine. You absolutely need to disconnect the wire harness to the parking brake. Don't risk damaging those wires to save a few minutes.
Did the same thing and had no issues

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Do you have a picture of your old pads
Sponsored