How to change rear brake pads - retract parking brake?

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didn't think you can "push" the rears in...you have to TURN them in...correct?
Yep, pretty normal for a lot of cars without the parking "drum" in the back(think a lot of GMs). VW is the same in that respect.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep, pretty normal for a lot of cars without the parking "drum" in the back(think a lot of GMs). VW is the same in that respect.
Okay, just making sure. When J35W2 asked and iqbad answered, it almost sounded like they were saying they had to push the rears in, lol...I was like...uh..don't do that!

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
If someone can upload a vid during their next rear pad swap that would be awesome.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They just don't want us to do handbrake turns :nono:

OP
OP
iqbad

iqbad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2018, Audi TT-RS 2010 400hp, Audi A6 3.0 TFSI 400hp
Country flag

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
1. Wheel chock the front tires
2. Jack up the rear
3. Turn on the car and release the ebrake
4. Turn off the car (Don't forget step 1 or your car will roll)
5. Remove the rear caliper
6. Spin the piston in with a tool (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0122Q83T4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Before you lower your car back down and remove the wheel chock remember to turn the car back on and re-engage the ebrake.
Just as a side note, you should also put the transmission in gear--that is extra assurance that the car won't roll away if you forget the chocks or ebrake.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
ah, thanks. I'm used to just rotating them in on other cars. Good to know
I just finished changing out my rear pads a few minutes ago. I can confirm you do NOT need to twist the rear pistons. The service manual says just use a regular caliper spreader, and so I did, and it works fine! I like it much better than the twisty kind.

I also used the Autel AP200 bluetooth dongle for doing the electronic parking brake retraction. You have to also install the "MaxiAP200" app and the "Diag-Asia" app to go along with it. I was having trouble pairing at first, but it eventually worked. I think you need to have the ignition on before you plug it in.

Other note: Service manual says to disconnect the wire harness from the parking brake motor. It was impossible to push the tab in and I ended up breaking it. :( However, you don't even need to disconnect it so ignore that step. Manual also suggests unbolting the brake line mount but that is also unnecessary.

Last edited:

Eric_812

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sports hatchback
Country flag
I just finished changing out my rear pads a few minutes ago. I can confirm you do NOT need to twist the rear pistons. The service manual says just use a regular caliper spreader, and so I did, and it works fine! I like it much better than the twisty kind.

I also used the Autel AP200 bluetooth dongle for doing the electronic parking brake retraction. You have to also install the "MaxiAP200" app and the "Diag-Asia" app to go along with it. I was having trouble pairing at first, but it eventually worked. I think you need to have the ignition on before you plug it in.

Other note: Service manual says to disconnect the wire harness from the parking brake motor. It was impossible to push the tab in and I ended up breaking it. :( However, you don't even need to disconnect it so ignore that step. Manual also suggests unbolting the brake line mount but that is also unnecessary.
I’m looking for that wire harness I messed mine up lol can’t seem to find it tho

Thatcryptoguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si
Country flag

Can you make a video of how you used these app to retract parking brake or a step by step of how to do it. I think a lot of people would be forever grateful.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag