How to Change Oil on 2016+ Civic 1.5L Turbo

se7encrows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Ok, this is one of many threads where I've seen that I want the Honda filter ending with Ao1 and not the crappy Ao2, but on Amazon , it's telling me the Ao1 doesn't fit my 2017 civic, but the Ao2 does. I double and triple checked the numbers on the page. Is this just some error with Amazon? Here is the link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009...oil+filter&dpPl=1&dpID=41ZKSkOId0L&ref=plSrch
That's correct. These filters will work on your Civic. Just used on on my last oil change. Bought them through Amazon as well.
Sponsored

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
That's correct. These filters will work on your Civic. Just used on on my last oil change. Bought them through Amazon as well.
meh just pick up a napa gold filter made by WIX same OEM manufacturer that makes the A01. It even costs the same retail

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Is there a torque spec for the drain bolt? A couple tips I've seen in the past:
  1. Drive a few miles first to warm up the oil so it flows out more easily. Just be careful of hot oil/parts underneath.
  2. Wear disposable rubber gloves. Have some rags or shop towels handy.
  3. Be prepared to move your oil catch pan as the flow changes.
  4. Wipe the drain plug surround and oil filter surround clean before replacing each to ensure no gasket/washer material remains.
  5. Recommend checking for leaks after adding oil and running the engine for a few minutes before reinstalling the under tray.
  6. Recycle your oil. Give a hoot, don't pollute.
18ft lbs is the standard on many drain bolts. Basically a slight nudge after fully seated. Just do it by feel now.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
No, I just picked the A01 based on what I read in this thread:
http://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-filter-oem-vs-oem.4351/

My main reason for going for OEM filter is that while this car is under warranty, I want no pushback from the dealer should any issue arise. I know they wouldn't be be able to prove anything if I used a Fram (for example) instead, but this way they'll see the OEM filter and not attribute any issues to that. For a few extra dollars per filter, I figured it was worth any potential headaches while under warranty. I'm still way under cost for what the dealer would charge for an oil change as it is.
A dealer can't deny you warranty for using a non OEM supplied filter or oil or really anything. The burden of proof is on them if they choose to play that card.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, this is one of many threads where I've seen that I want the Honda filter ending with Ao1 and not the crappy Ao2, but on Amazon , it's telling me the Ao1 doesn't fit my 2017 civic, but the Ao2 does. I double and triple checked the numbers on the page. Is this just some error with Amazon? Here is the link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009...oil+filter&dpPl=1&dpID=41ZKSkOId0L&ref=plSrch
You may be looking at the power equipment, non-auto, equivalent. I think the same model has variations not for our car. If this isn't the case, try changing the model year (I am assuming you have your car saved to your 'garage' on amazon) to 2016. Same goes for any other lookup, site, etc. I bought my 2017 in November, so I figured this out when I came across many pages that did not even have 2017 as an option.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You may be looking at the power equipment, non-auto, equivalent. I think the same model has variations not for our car. If this isn't the case, try changing the model year (I am assuming you have your car saved to your 'garage' on amazon) to 2016. Same goes for any other lookup, site, etc. I bought my 2017 in November, so I figured this out when I came across many pages that did not even have 2017 as an option.
I thought that, but all the numbers are the same, so I couldn't figure out how to tell. I tried like you said and put in a 2016, but that didn't work either. I since found other listings on Amazon for the same filter that do say they for, so it must be a glitch or something with that particular seller.

CrazyALee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX hatchback
Country flag
Does anyone know the part number for the 2 metal philips screws that hold the underbody metal plate? Not to be mixed with the 6 plastic flathead ones.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to Change Oil on 2016+ Civic 1.5L Turbo IMG_20161127_144811_zps18se9iuq

philharmonik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Country flag
Does anyone know the part number for the 2 metal philips screws that hold the underbody metal plate? Not to be mixed with the 6 plastic flathead ones.

IMG_20161127_144811_zps18se9iuq.jpg
https://www.hondapartscheap.com/oem-parts/honda-bolt-cover-lower-90105tbaa00

Just ordered two myself last night. My dealership did my oil change and didn't put them back. Also didn't put back 2 of the quick turn silver ones. This led to the air dam hanging lower than usual. I went to park at work and completely jacked up my air dam and broke the plastic where where it attaches. When I got home I drove the car up on ramps and saw all the missing screws! Needless to say I was furious. Decided to just fix it myself and do all the oil changes myself from here on out. How incompetent are you at your job when you can't put screws back where they belong after a simple oil change??o_Oo_O:mad::mad:

arhncmh

It's not my fault, really.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan CVT
Country flag
https://www.hondapartscheap.com/oem-parts/honda-bolt-cover-lower-90105tbaa00

Just ordered two myself last night. My dealership did my oil change and didn't put them back. Also didn't put back 2 of the quick turn silver ones. This led to the air dam hanging lower than usual. I went to park at work and completely jacked up my air dam and broke the plastic where where it attaches. When I got home I drove the car up on ramps and saw all the missing screws! Needless to say I was furious. Decided to just fix it myself and do all the oil changes myself from here on out. How incompetent are you at your job when you can't put screws back where they belong after a simple oil change??o_Oo_O:mad::mad:
Very curious if the part you bought is a match. Please post a pic. Thanks.

OpenRoads

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Hi all,

New to the forum. I didn't see a detailed how to change the oil, so I thought I'd post it up for those considering doing it themselves. It's pretty straightforward.

This is my wife's car, and unfortunately the dealer didn't offer any oil changes at time of purchase.

This will show how to change the oil and filter. I know the manual says oil only for this first one, but I like to change the filter with every single oil change.

Tools needed:
-Phillips
-Flathead
-17mm socket
-Oil filter wrench

Consumables needed:

-0w20 Synthetic oil of your choice. I used Mobil Synthetic today.
-Oil Filter. I used OEM filter, part number 15400-PLM-A01. I bought a 5 pack on Amazon which included washers. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ACAMV22/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
-Drain plug washer

1. Drive car onto ramps, and apply parking brake. I also place wheel blocks at the rear wheels just in case.

2. Remove the silver underbody panel under the engine. There are 6 flat head 1/4 turn screws, and 2 phillips. Once removed, the panel slides towards the rear of the car and falls down.

IMG_20161127_144805_Ink_LI_zpspo1exonc.jpg

IMG_20161127_144814_zpsyqioqr2t.jpg

IMG_20161127_144811_zps18se9iuq.jpg

3. Remove the oil drain plug using the 17mm socket. It's on there pretty tight if it's the first time being removed, so careful not to gouge your hands. Allow oil to drain out.

IMG_20161127_145010_Ink_LI_zpslrryou6d.jpg

IMG_20161127_145036_Ink_LI_zpsfzzhnfrh.jpg

IMG_20161127_145255_zpsuaedr28q.jpg

IMG_20161127_145358_zpsvmesmyoj.jpg

4. Remove oil filter. The oil filter was on there so tight, I had to go and buy an oil filter tool from the store ($5.99). The oil begins draining from the filter as soon as you loosen it, so have your catch can ready. Allow oil to drain.

IMG_20161127_151652_zpsxbopbpxa.jpg

5. Install new oil filter. Rub a small amount of new oil around the seal before screwing on. The filters I use have a torque spec on them, but I just do them hand tight.

6. Put new crush washer on drain bolt, and install drain bolt.

7. Reinstall underbody panel. I found installing the two phillips first works best. Make sure the panel is in all 4 slots before tightening.

8. Fill engine with oil. The fill hole is on the upper left hand side of the engine. Here I like to fill to just under, start the car, and drive it back to a level surface.

Oil Capacity
Without filter: 3.4 quarts
With filter change: 3.7 quarts

9. Allow car to run a minute or two, then shut off. Check oil level, and add more as needed. I usually check oil level a day or two after driving, just to make sure it's still good.
I did my first oil change on my 2017 Touring Civic today, with just over 900 miles on the engine. Unfortunately the oil filter was too darn tight to take off, so I'll leave the filter for the 2nd oil change. Instead of putting back the drain plug, I used a Fumoto engine oil drain valve, model F106S. So in another 900 to 1000 miles, I'll change oil and filter (the filter I got was a bit too large...the original filter has a slightly smaller diameter on the end than the replacement filters I have.) and I'll be sure to have the correct filter wrench. I used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0w-20 for the oil. Cheers :)

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm just curious, why are you changing the oil so soon? I had almost 5000 miles on my MM when it was due for my first change and I know a lot of guys have gotten way more than that. Plus, if I remember correctly, there was a bulletin from Honda saying specifically to not do your first change early for some reason I can't remember now. Don't quote me on that though,lol
Sponsored