How to access ground bolt behind interior fuses

SuperTongue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm trying to access the ground bolt up behind the interior fuse box to install my dashcam. I did this on my 2013 Civic but the bolt was slightly easier to get to.

In my 2016 EX w/ Honda Sensing, it's relatively in the same place but there's a big plastic box with some plugs going into it about 1-3" away from the bolt. This makes it impossibly to fit my socket wrench onto the bolt like I did with my 2013 Civic.

I tried vice grips (and admittedly chewed up the bolt) as well as a regular wrench with no luck. A socket wrench would be the best way to loosen the bolt but I'm not sure if it's possible.

Any ideas? I'd really like to hardwire my dashcam so I don't have wires hanging all over my interior.

Is there another grounding spot somewhere nearby? Here's a picture of the bolt location:

Honda Civic 10th gen How to access ground bolt behind interior fuses WzZ2MLf
Sponsored

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I'm trying to access the ground bolt up behind the interior fuse box to install my dashcam. I did this on my 2013 Civic but the bolt was slightly easier to get to.

In my 2016 EX w/ Honda Sensing, it's relatively in the same place but there's a big plastic box with some plugs going into it about 1-3" away from the bolt. This makes it impossibly to fit my socket wrench onto the bolt like I did with my 2013 Civic.

I tried vice grips (and admittedly chewed up the bolt) as well as a regular wrench with no luck. A socket wrench would be the best way to loosen the bolt but I'm not sure if it's possible.

Any ideas? I'd really like to hardwire my dashcam so I don't have wires hanging all over my interior.

Is there another grounding spot somewhere nearby? Here's a picture of the bolt location:

Honda Civic 10th gen How to access ground bolt behind interior fuses WzZ2MLf
Could you tell me exactly where that ground location is?

OP
OP
SuperTongue

SuperTongue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you able to access this? I need to ground a wire and I'm looking for something close
I mean I can get to it but I've yet to figure out how to loosen the bolt because it's in such an awkward place.

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I just tried my regular socket wrench and I can't fit it in there. There's only like 2" or so worth of clearance above the bolt.
There has to be a way to access it since the manufacturer accessed it. I'll give it a look tomorrow

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
You don't need to use that location for a dashcam.

Remove the kick panel under the steering wheel (it's just clips to my memory), just yank; the fusebox is a large grey plastic piece, which is bolted to the dash subframe with a vertical bolt going up.

I sandwiched my ground wire to that bolt and tightened, and it works well, and is very easily accessible.

If you're hellbent on getting to that, you'd most likely need a swiveling head for your ratchet, or an extension.

But seriously, just use what I used.

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
You don't need to use that location for a dashcam.

Remove the kick panel under the steering wheel (it's just clips to my memory), just yank; the fusebox is a large grey plastic piece, which is bolted to the dash subframe with a vertical bolt going up.

I sandwiched my ground wire to that bolt and tightened, and it works well, and is very easily accessible.

If you're hellbent on getting to that, you'd most likely need a swiveling head for your ratchet, or an extension.

But seriously, just use what I used.
Could you post a picture?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Not gonna take apart my dash just for a picture lol. Take the panel off and you'll see it right there.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
It's in this general area. The only bolt that's bolted vertically, upside down, between a plastic box and a big steel frame.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to access ground bolt behind interior fuses 2WGK426

Loosen bolt, attach ground wire, tighten bolt.

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
It's in this general area. The only bolt that's bolted vertically, upside down, between a plastic box and a big steel frame.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to access ground bolt behind interior fuses 2WGK426

Loosen bolt, attach ground wire, tighten bolt.
And this will work perfectly for a ground?

Pogi R

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 PMM Type R #00153
Country flag
Im having the same problem trying to ground the cable for the wireless charger install. I found another bolt that was easier to access but not sure if it is grounded.
Sponsored