Jmillerohio

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R Champion White
Country flag
Recently took delivery of a 2019 CtR in CW. And right away started looking into aftermarket modifications. Don't get me wrong, the car is a blast right off the showroom floor but I have a bad habit of not leaving things stock.....so my wife says. I have already purchased a new FMIC, charge piping kit and full exhaust (front pipe inc) and looking to go complete bolt on inc down pipe (catted), air intake and turbo inlet pipe. Also will be adding Hondata I'm sure for safety but also better performance and reliability as this is my DD. I've babied the car the first 500-600 miles, no hard shifting, no redlining or anything but now the car has approx 900 miles and I am eager to install some new performance parts but just wondering if it's too soon?

Just looking for some input from the community on builds and mileage that parts may have been added and if anyone had any negative experiences adding parts to early. Again this is my DD so just want to make sure its safe to start really making some power!!

Thanks. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Never to soon as long as you’re ok with knowing any engine/ drivetrain issues might not get warrantied

OP
OP
Jmillerohio

Jmillerohio

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Never to soon as long as you’re ok with knowing any engine/ drivetrain issues might not get warrantied
I guess that's what I'm fishing for. Not to terribly concerned about that as I'll never really beat on the car but just wondering if anyone has ran into any complications or issues early on with upgrades. Thanks ?

OP
OP
Jmillerohio

Jmillerohio

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Whenever you want

Never to soon but take it for a proper rip while it's stock to appreciate how good it is from the factory haha
It's crazy just how torquey it is from factory! Drove it around trying to get the tires a bit warm and still under a nice acceleration they wanna break loose! Now weather has been ? in Ohio lately so cant get warmer roads but overall very impressive. Thanks!

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
I've already spent close to 6k in mods and haven't even reached 600 miles yet lol. Just being stuck at home and wanting something to do. I have refrained from any hard to remove engine mods or tuning for now though due to warranty. This car is way better pre-tune than most so I'm not in a rush on that front.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
If you don’t plan on beating on the car, perhaps you’re better off "beating on it" and still be protected with the warranty.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Having just moved up from a 2017 SI to a 2018 CTR with under 14,000 miles, not sure that mods are really needed to enjoy the car. On the SI the only 'mod' was summer tires from Michelin, which transformed the handling without hurting the warranty. The CTR is quite amazing as is - that is why you buy it in the first place. To me, a 'tuner' car is one that was fairly cheap, that you are not needing as a DD or care about warranty, and can o crazy on. I would break it in, live with it for at least six months to a year and see if you really need to mod it, or would be better off selling the mods and putting that money towards...tires. Maybe Pilot Sport Cup 2's to replace the stock Conti's when they wear out. If the car still is not fast enough for you, you can just go with Hondata.. just realize even if you remove it for service, I have heard it leaves an electronic trail.
I have more of a challenge finding opportunities to let the CTR run than I do with the performance of said CTR. It is not a drag car, even though it is quick. It lives to show off the handling, and for that it does not need a single mod. I have done very spirited turns and still have not reached or exceeded the very, very high cornering limits of this car. You can miss the apex, fail to trail brake, or enter too hot and it still gets it done. Best mod? Improved driving technique, which this car rewards instantly.

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
Exhaust. Pick your poison, there's a few good options out there but it really transforms the car vs stock.

Other than that I'll just echo what others covered: focus on driver mod.

And maybe some Pilot Sports. Stock tire is not really great on track...

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
I went with Hondata at just under 6k miles and about 6 months after purchase last year. I have two other vehicles and work from home, so I don't rely on the car as a daily. I also live in a small town and the local dealer has likely never touched a CTR, so unless something catastrophic fails I have no interest in taking it in for warranty work. If anything breaks, I'll just fix/upgrade it myself.

My plan initially was to keep the car stock, but I couldn't help myself. While the car is a blast stock, it's even better with some mods IMO.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sooner is easier for downpipe install. Maybe only 1/3 can of Pb Blaster?

If it were me, Id wait until the first oil change (leaving the factory fill in there for as long as is reasonable). Not me though. Excited for you!

OP
OP
Jmillerohio

Jmillerohio

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went with Hondata at just under 6k miles and about 6 months after purchase last year. I have two other vehicles and work from home, so I don't rely on the car as a daily. I also live in a small town and the local dealer has likely never touched a CTR, so unless something catastrophic fails I have no interest in taking it in for warranty work. If anything breaks, I'll just fix/upgrade it myself.

My plan initially was to keep the car stock, but I couldn't help myself. While the car is a blast stock, it's even better with some mods IMO.
So I have been doing some research into Hondata and that is for sure the route I am going. Since you have it already just a few questions.

On the base maps that are preloaded does it allow options for parts you have already installed
i.e. tune with intercooler, tune with intercooler and exhaust, etc... I plan on going with full bolt on options from down pipe back and wanted to see if Hondata accounted for that. I know a lot about vehicles but am very unfamiliar with the tuning aspect. Also don't have any ideas of a local shop that does tuning around me so just want to make sure the base map will make It safe.

Thanks

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I have been doing some research into Hondata and that is for sure the route I am going. Since you have it already just a few questions.

On the base maps that are preloaded does it allow options for parts you have already installed
i.e. tune with intercooler, tune with intercooler and exhaust, etc... I plan on going with full bolt on options from down pipe back and wanted to see if Hondata accounted for that. I know a lot about vehicles but am very unfamiliar with the tuning aspect. Also don't have any ideas of a local shop that does tuning around me so just want to make sure the base map will make It safe.

Thanks
Very interested for a CTR Owner to respond.

I do not fall in this camp, though I do have an upgraded downpipe on my EXL. If the 2.0L trends similar to the 1.5L (pure assumption- I do not know- please do inform me if incorrect)... Exhaust is not a limitation; upgrades here are for sound/weight preference. Intercooler upgrades maintain performance over longer runs: My understanding is that the CTR really could use this upgrade to maximize performance when power is increased. Unless an intercooler changes the flow characteristics of the charge much, don't know it is something to tune around.

A general consideration is that basemaps, regardless of tuning platform, are like getting a suit off the rack. If a car does not diverge from typical setups too much, just enhances the cooling or similar, the results are okay. In any case, a custom tune will yield the best performance results catered to your setup.

I suggest you start with an off-the-shelf tune. See how you like it. See what limitations you run up against. Does heat become an issue? Do you crave more performance? Let the limitations as you ratchet up your upgrades drive further upgrades. I recommend starting with a tune and tires. Tires will enhance nearly every aspect of a vehicle's performance. Better tires lend to better responsiveness, feel, safety, and ability to put down any power you're making.
Sponsored