How reliable is Honda Sensing package on 2018 Civic? Do I need extended warranty?

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
ya i want the 120 Hyannis one, now can you get it online and is it a honda one?
Sponsored

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Touring-'18 Acura RDX Advance
ya i want the 120 Hyannis one, now can you get it online and is it a honda one?
Yes, it's a HondaCare extended warranty.I wouldn't buy an aftermarket warranty.
https://hyannishondacare.com/questionnaire.php
Fill it out.
They'll send the programs and costs.
I sent an email with the program I wanted and then got a call.

You give them a credit card number. You then get a HondaCare service contract registration acknowledgment. Two weeks or so, you'll get the HondaCare warranty booklet and cards.
Same procedure as Saccucci when I bought one from them.

No sales tax too if you don't live in RI.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
I had a Extended warranty on a 2010 crv. The Air conditioner broke 2000 miles out of Warranty. Honda did pay for half out of good faith. But nothing eles broke. I had a exl plus nav. The.nav still works Flawless.

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The "electronics need extended warranty" spiel is what every "Finance Manager" is taught to tell you. I heard the same thing when I bought my Canadian LX without Honda Sensing. Electronics can be "buggy", but they seldom "wear out". If they are buggy, they will likely be that way from the start.

The extended warranties are generally characterized as poor value by most consumer groups (like Consumer Reports). The vast majority of purchasers do not purchase these. If you want, you can put off the purchase of this warranty until just before your 3 year standard warranty expires. If the car has problems in the first three years, either sell it (smarter move) or purchase the extended warranty then.

My previous Civic went 16 years before I had any problems. Your choice, but it is expensive peace of mind.
Make sure you read everything carefully. The extended warranty only applies if the car is owned within a certain numbers of years and mileages.
Last warranty example

D82 plan

8 years

120K miles

$1080

Saccucci Honda sells warranties online also but at a higher cost then Hyannis.Bernardi also sells warranties online but I believe they are higher also.

You can call.

Sean Rausch Internet Manager Hyannis Honda
Work (508)778-7878
Direct(774)470-4054
Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
I bought mine from Saccucci back in April. Wish i had known about this earlier.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Hi all, first time posting here!

So I am about to purchase a new, 2018 Honda Civic SE (which is basically LX with Honda Sensing, remote starter, and few other additions).

So the dealership has told me how this car has many electronic parts (touchscreen, radar for ACC, cameras in front and back for Honda Sensing, remote starter, computers, etc.), and that I should buy the extended warranty since these parts are only covered for 3 years/60,000 km.

They say electronic parts can fail, and cause expensive repair bills. How true is this for a 2018 Civic? I have attached a list of the prices they quote that can go wrong.

The warranty price is $2000 including taxes (Ontario). Car value is $25k, including taxes. Warranty will extend everything on car to 7 years/160,000 km (as opposed to 3 years/60,000 km for standard, and 5 years/100,000 for power train).

Is this a good deal? Or a waste of money? I am just looking to make a wise decision, not protect myself against highly unlikely scenarios... how expensive are the electronic parts to change?

Thanks!

KqGapsZ.png
Your getting ripped in your country.

Every new Honda here comes with 7 year warranty. And everything is covered. Plus you get roadside assist.

From Honda's website:
"The 7-Year Unlimited Kilometre Warranty and 7-Year Premium Roadside Assist is provided by Honda*. The 7-Year Unlimited Kilometre Warranty and 7-Year Premium Roadside Assist provides you the confidence of knowing that your Honda is protected with no claim limits and no cost for labour and parts (except for tyres and batteries) for 7 years with unlimited kilometres from its original retail sale date"

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hmm, that's worrying... what kind of issue? Is it out of warranty?
To the OP.
Yes, you should get the extended warranty.
Not blaming you... but .. Based on your post and quote, I am certain that you are the person that is in constant worry and will sleep better at night having the extended warranty.
Just go for it. Chalk it down as a piece of mind. Bite the bullet once and get it over.
Otherwise everytime you get in the car you will be in flight or flight mode, and it will eat you up.
Some people are that way and can't help them self.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I like that touchscreen replacement for $4000. :lol: The backup camera for $2800 is not too bad either.

I have an over 6 year old iPad 3rd gen that I use literally every single day for Internet browsing etc. and I would probably need to use a hammer to break it. Even the battery is still good.

OP
OP

teatub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2002
Country flag
To the OP.
Yes, you should get the extended warranty.
Not blaming you... but .. Based on your post and quote, I am certain that you are the person that is in constant worry and will sleep better at night having the extended warranty.
Just go for it. Chalk it down as a piece of mind. Bite the bullet once and get it over.
Otherwise everytime you get in the car you will be in flight or flight mode, and it will eat you up.
Some people are that way and can't help them self.
I am not... I have the means to cover repairs in the unlikely chance it happens. I am just asking if this is a rational and prudent choice or not? The dealership makes it sound like everyone takes the warranty. So I want to know if it makes sense. It sounds like it DOESN'T make sense.

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not... I have the means to cover repairs in the unlikely chance it happens. I am just asking if this is a rational and prudent choice or not? The dealership makes it sound like everyone takes the warranty. So I want to know if it makes sense. It sounds like it DOESN'T make sense.
You're right!
It sure doesn't make sense to pay $2K for a 7 year 100K miles(especially if it's an aftermarket mickey mouse warranty )when a HondaCare 8/120K can be bought for $1080.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it sounds like it doesn't make sense, then it doesn't. Full stop, no further rationalization needed. At the dealer's price, it just doesn't. From Hyannis, it does. I've never heard of anyone falling for the dealer's extended warranty, it's just a high-pressure sales pitch.

OP
OP

teatub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2002
Country flag
You're right!
It sure doesn't make sense to pay $2K for a 7 year 100K miles(especially if it's an aftermarket mickey mouse warranty )when a HondaCare 8/120K can be bought for $1080.
It is direct from Honda - it is Honda Care. And the Honda Care prices are as follows , I was considering the 7 year one... (this is Canada)

Honda Civic 10th gen How reliable is Honda Sensing package on 2018 Civic? Do I need extended warranty? upload_2018-7-23_12-35-19

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is direct from Honda - it is Honda Care. And the Honda Care prices are as follows , I was considering the 7 year one... (this is Canada)

upload_2018-7-23_12-35-19.png
With those numbers, I would pass.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
You only need an extended if you're buying a certified used car, as you don't know how it was maintained prior to you. As noted, if something will fail, it will likely happen during warranty. Also, review the Consumer Reports repair history. When the car hits 10 years old, stuff will start to happen.

My 2017 Touring Sedan is one year old and 12K miles. Runs like a dream. Zero issues. I may buy it at the end of the lease if it stays trouble free. I have never bought an extended warranty. Dealers make a ton of profit on those. A friend that is a Manager at a dealer told me they only pay out 5 to 10% of the time. Save your money and don't get one.

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I don't know about that. I paid about $800 for the $0 deductible 100k 8 year Hondacare service contract and it would pay for itself if I'll ever need one repair done. Makes sense unless you're penny-pinching or just don't care about paying out-of-pocket.

OP
OP

teatub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2002
Country flag
You only need an extended if you're buying a certified used car, as you don't know how it was maintained prior to you. As noted, if something will fail, it will likely happen during warranty. Also, review the Consumer Reports repair history. When the car hits 10 years old, stuff will start to happen.

My 2017 Touring Sedan is one year old and 12K miles. Runs like a dream. Zero issues. I may buy it at the end of the lease if it stays trouble free. I have never bought an extended warranty. Dealers make a ton of profit on those. A friend that is a Manager at a dealer told me they only pay out 5 to 10% of the time. Save your money and don't get one.
Tnx, your post was helpful in reassuring me while the salesman talked me out of the decision to cancel for 30 min.

I don't know about that. I paid about $800 for the $0 deductible 100k 8 year Hondacare service contract and it would pay for itself if I'll ever need one repair done. Makes sense unless you're penny-pinching or just don't care about paying out-of-pocket.
So this is $1800, for 1 fewer year...
Sponsored