How old are all you CTR owners?

mnksauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2005 RSX Type S
Country flag
Just turned 33. Cool to see ages all over the board here (no pun intended lol).
Sponsored

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Just turned 33. Cool to see ages all over the board here (no pun intended lol).
You have my old car too! I sold my 05 RSX-S almost 10 years ago when I moved to NYC. I do miss it, there's something about that naturally aspirated K20 with 8100 redline. The VTEC crossover sound with a CAI was:drool:

jcp227

First Name
Jimmy Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue (It's even got a rear spoiler)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My aunt passed away about a year ago and my uncle decided to go treat himself to something nice so he bought a CTR just recently. My uncle is 76 years old!!! So you are never to old to drive whatever you want to drive! Just my two cents!

dandel

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, Accord
Country flag
Quick story from the day we picked it up: when we got there the dealer had it parked prominently out front. There was a little girl (maybe 7 or 8) and her mom walking up ahead of us and from about 20 yards out the girl started staring and pointing at the car. The mom goes “oh you like that one? Well you can get it when you’re 35”

I'm 36.

mnksauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You have my old car too! I sold my 05 RSX-S almost 10 years ago when I moved to NYC. I do miss it, there's something about that naturally aspirated K20 with 8100 redline. The VTEC crossover sound with a CAI was:drool:
You know, that's why I haven't quite sold it yet. My DC5 is really simple still.
  • CAI
  • Tein Flex
  • hondata reflash
Love the way it still feels so mechanical. I just hop in and drive. In the CTR I feel like I have to change this and that, plug in phone, etc etc etc before taking off.

....also, keeping the rsx for now to teach wifey how to drive manual.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
For you older owners, what other cars did you look at before getting the Type R. Has it met all of your expectations?I have been thinking on what car to get next as I use to have a Cadillac ATS-V which was a phenomenal performance car however due to GM reliability it was bought back as a lemon. Since then I have been looking for a new daily sedan that is fun and reliable. My top picks were a used Charger Hellcat, and a used F80 M3 but after contemplating for a bit I am just thinking they maybe overkill for my needs. Also I am also liking the idea of not spending $50k on a used car. I have looked at the Type R and I liked the space and hatchback aspect of the car. The interior was nice in the front, didn't care for the rear seat material but with young kids it may work better. The one hump I am having a hard time coming over is the FWD. I have never bought a fwd car before because of the way they drove but it seems that the R has some magic. With that being said we get a fair amount of snow up here so it would work better than the M3 and Hellcat. Also I have a Turbo S2000 that I have owned for the past 15 years and just love it and I am hoping the Type R will give me the same feeling of passion. Sorry for being long winded but I want to make the best decision possible. Thanks again

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For you older owners, what other cars did you look at before getting the Type R. Has it met all of your expectations?I have been thinking on what car to get next as I use to have a Cadillac ATS-V which was a phenomenal performance car however due to GM reliability it was bought back as a lemon. Since then I have been looking for a new daily sedan that is fun and reliable. My top picks were a used Charger Hellcat, and a used F80 M3 but after contemplating for a bit I am just thinking they maybe overkill for my needs. Also I am also liking the idea of not spending $50k on a used car. I have looked at the Type R and I liked the space and hatchback aspect of the car. The interior was nice in the front, didn't care for the rear seat material but with young kids it may work better. The one hump I am having a hard time coming over is the FWD. I have never bought a fwd car before because of the way they drove but it seems that the R has some magic. With that being said we get a fair amount of snow up here so it would work better than the M3 and Hellcat. Also I have a Turbo S2000 that I have owned for the past 15 years and just love it and I am hoping the Type R will give me the same feeling of passion. Sorry for being long winded but I want to make the best decision possible. Thanks again
If you were going to get a FWD vehicle, this is the one to get. Honda has managed to eliminate the bane of most FWD vehicles, torque steer, with the Type R. It’s there but it’s practically nothing compared to most other FWD vehicles pushing 250+ HP.

As for the feeling of passion, its a safe assumption you will find that feeling with the Type R. :)

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
I've been driving Honda's forever, so I can't lend anything to the FWD/RWD debate other than to note that the R has a suspension setup that tends toward oversteer when you're in a corner hard.

I daily drive mine during the summer, and put mine away in the winter ... we probably get about the same amount of snow/ice as you do.

I've seen people throw snow tires on their R and daily them in the winter, not something I would do, but to each their own.

I regularly have a 12 year old and a 3 year old in a car seat in the back of mine. There's enough room to move the passenger seat up so the toddler can't kick the back of it with a 5'6"-5'8" adult in the front seat.

As far as practicality, we do most of our fleet farm trips with the R, which is usually large bags of dog food, chicken food, pine bedding, etc. The optional plastic tray and an old blanket work wonders for keeping the hatch area clean. We bring the pickup for building supplies only.

It's comfortable enough for passengers to sleep on longer trips. The suspension and seats aren't the least bit punishing in comfort mode. Gas mileage at 70-75 is in the 25-27 mpg range, 55-60 I see 30+ mpg regularly.

Remember, at the end of the day, the R is not only practically track ready off the dealer lot, if that interests you, but very capable of holding its own against much more expensive cars.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Thank You for both your inputs! I have a 9 and 7 year old that I have to carry around. For long family trips we will usually use my wife's Jeep but would be using the R in the winter. If it gets really bad I have a old wrangler I can use or my wifes jeep. I am just in a point in my life that I want to get one car that I can keep for at least 5-10 years and not keep wasting money on trading them. Being close to 40 changes a lot of perspective on finances and I want to be able to have some fun and be responsible :)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s2000, mk2 TT RS
Country flag
You know, that's why I haven't quite sold it yet. My DC5 is really simple still.
  • CAI
  • Tein Flex
  • hondata reflash
Love the way it still feels so mechanical. I just hop in and drive. In the CTR I feel like I have to change this and that, plug in phone, etc etc etc before taking off.

....also, keeping the rsx for now to teach wifey how to drive manual.
You guys really like the DC5 that much? I can't wait to get rid of mine. Plan to replace it with a CTR but getting rid of it no matter what. I like the looks but it's an absolute snore to drive. Maybe I'm too spoiled by the s2k for the old Honda scream and handling characteristics. Different preferences I guess. Oh and I'm 28 :wave:

18TypeR-13922

First Name
ADM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR, 2022 MDX A-Spec, 2015 Accord EXL
Country flag
I've had Hondas/Acuras since 1988. Manual trans was a requirement. I looked at the M2 and 440I MSport. BMW reliability, dealer arrogance, depreciation pushed me away. Very happy with the CTR!

run42K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 WRX, 2000 ZRX
Country flag
I (63) was driving a 2008 WRX. Thought about an M2, but too small. An RS3, but no stick. An STI, but too dated. None of them very exciting. The CTR got my blood pumping. And my first car was a 1982 Civic. . .
Yes it has met and exceeded expectations. My main concern was that it would be a freak show. I haven't gotten hardly any attention. Family and friends love it.

mnksauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You guys really like the DC5 that much? I can't wait to get rid of mine. Plan to replace it with a CTR but getting rid of it no matter what. I like the looks but it's an absolute snore to drive. Maybe I'm too spoiled by the s2k for the old Honda scream and handling characteristics. Different preferences I guess. Oh and I'm 28 :wave:
Maybe more nostalgia than anything. The reflash has be revving to 8600 and I haven't had the chance to own a s2k (which I really, really want). Until then...or until I teach a few people how to drive manual, it'll be around.

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
My aunt passed away about a year ago and my uncle decided to go treat himself to something nice so he bought a CTR just recently. My uncle is 76 years old!!! So you are never to old to drive whatever you want to drive! Just my two cents!
Yeah for us old guys. Now ther is another owner older than I am.
Sponsored