How often does your low tire pressure warning come on?

BansheeBliss

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Mine's been on since I swapped to my 18" wheels with all season tires. I really need to get my tire pressures checked, but the roads have been so nasty lately I've just been driving the Corolla every day.
Out of curiosity what 18s did you go with? I'm in the east coast and snow is coming.

Can you give specs on tires? I just bought a 2021 R. I was looking at 19s 235 35z 19s.... you think I could fit a 245 on that without rubbing?
Sponsored

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Mine went off over the weekend. I figured it was a false alarm after reading about so many issues on the forum. Checked pressures, one tire was 1 pound low. The next morning I got stranded. I had a screw in the driver's rear tire. On the next drive it punctured the inside sidewall. I had to have a family member pick up an autocross wheel setup and bring it to me. The repair kit did nothing. So my impression of the TPMS so far is that it works, and I shouldn't ignore it.

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
Ha! The same happened to me. A week into ownership my tire was punctured by a road hazard (a drill bit). The alerts came on after the new tire was put on. I reset the calibration. A month later I ignored an alert that actually was valid, with another screw in the tread, and went flat the next day. I'll pay attention from now on. Hate the sticky Conti6 compound though. I have my winter all season set on 18's, and no alerts. Maybe some Pilots next summer.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The TPMS is an interesting setup on the FK8. It's very sensitive, which creates issues. While the false negative rate (if your tires are low it lights up) is nearly 0, the false positive rate (if it lights up your tires are not low) is still pretty high. Personally I've seen maybe a 50%-ish false positive rate, basically when the light has gone off, there was no issues with the pressures 60% of the time. I define an "issue" as being 10% outside of OEM spec or outside 31.5-38.5 for the fronts and 29.7-36.3 for the rears when measured cold (OEM spec is 35/33 F/R). The TPMS normally will legitimately go off 2-4x a year for me (shifting between seasons or huge temperature swings) when there isn't a puncture in my tires.

I have found that if the TPMS sensor goes off multiple times within a week or two, that there could be something wrong with your tires (punctured). The false positive rate for this remains in the 50% range though. If the car is giving a false positive in this scenario, then resetting the TPMS 3x to reset it normally will shut it up.

You should check it every time it goes off, but it's basically the boy who cried wolf.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
In 2 ½ years and 14,000 miles I have had a half dozen or more TPMS ‘low-pressure’ warnings. This may be aggravated by the low profile of the OEM tires, which I have no interest in replacing with higher profiles. In one case there was a screw in the tire and the pressure was down. I re-inflated the tire, and quickly had a repair properly done.

The others happened on rough road surfaces. Examples, an angled slightly raised expansion strip on a bridge (twice), and recently a trip into lower SE New York State, where surface conditions on even well-traveled high-volume roads are abysmal, unrepaired potholes, sections of deteriorated concrete randomly treated with asphalt overlays and patches, etc. It appears that when the tires are on different surfaces, or quickly changing surfaces, the TPMS, because it does not have actual pressure sensors in the wheels, determines that there is a difference in psi between the tires because of their behavior, which is not actually the case. The suspension is just reacting to the existing surface conditions. This has happened to me in both warm and cold weather.

If the car seems to be still handling normally, I continue to my destination do a tire pressure check there and start a recalibration. If not, I pull over when convenient and check the pressures immediately. Essential to have in the car, a precise and easily usable tire pressure gauge, and a 12v inflator. I also have a compact spare and the tools necessary to make a tire change if I must. Certainly, an inconvenience, but unfortunately part of the way the vehicle works for me.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I got tired of the finnicky TPMS in my Hondas so I bought an electric air pump and I just manually set the tire pressure on the first of each month. Have been doing that for over a year and have not had the tire pressure go off in error since then. That seems to be often enough to account for weather temp changes.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I also check the pressure monthly and immediately before any trip of more than 75 miles and still have this issue sometimes on rough pavement at highway speeds. Not A major problem, just wondering how common this is.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
Basically rubber is not 100% air tight and it allows some of the small air molecules to permeate through it. The inside layer called the inner liner is made from a denser rubber, but it is still not 100% airtight. That is why Nitrogen filled tires will take longer to deflate as Nitrogen molecules are larger than the normal air mixture that has less Nitrogen in it's make up. So e.g., if the car is sitting in the garage for extended periods of time and not driven... all tires will lose air naturally... and they will all at once (not just one dropping then you might have a problem). :) So, it's not just driving the car, valve stem seal, air temps... blah blah blah... it happens naturally at a rate to all the tires so it's nothing to be alarmed about however leaving the car idle for long periods of time can do other damage in more ways than one that you can research yourself ;)

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
I've never had the warning. I check/adjust the pressures at least once a week. I'm sure that has something to do with the lack of warnings.

My wife's Accord has the same system. Haven't seen the warning there in over three years.

CTR39322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR(sold) DE5 Acura Integra
Country flag
I check my tire pressure once a month, after one year and 2700 miles, I havent seen the warning.
Sponsored