How often do you use Sport Mode?

kurokitsune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually love using the Sports mode, as it reduces the lag in acceleration. Personally, I find it most useful when i have to make a left turn at stop sign intersection. Makes crossing that intersection quickly, utilizing that small gap in the traffic, really really possible.
Now when it comes to fun, I love slipping into sports mode, turning off eco and the AC, to shoot by the pompous drivers, just to see their facial expression in my rearview mirror lol.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civic type r
Country flag
I'm from Vancouver and it's really mild here. My car is also garaged both at work and at home. I also don't let my engine run because I've heard that it's generally unnecessary.

Hmm, you only use Sport when merging? I really enjoy using it when I have any open road :)
Letting your fluids get to operating temperature is very necessary especially in cold weather

jtamase

the.xth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX Hatchback; 2016 Pilot LX
Country flag
Mostly for curves and merging lanes. Just to get that tiny boost to get ahead of another car.

biker750guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
Hey,

I don't know much about engines, so I've been researching if there's any negatives to utilizing the Sport Mode regularly.

I've read a bunch of Bimmer forums, and opinions vary (either yes, overwear on engine etc to no, and some even say that barring the gas consumption, a lot of people use it exclusively as they prefer it).

I figure it's there to be used, right? :)
I am a somewhat (cough) aggressive driver and I'm working on that, I swear. But gas mileage is almost a non-issue for me as I have a literal 5 minute drive to work (I have to drive as it's 35 minute walk and I work night shifts and stop judging me, it's for safety dammit). So when I get a chance to actually go on a drive, I find myself using the Sport Mode a lot.

Just wondering if/when/where you use Sport Mode, and how often?
Sport Mode is for sport people; "You go Girl". Live while you're alive, you have the right idea.

ZombieJerky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2016 Civic Couple EX-L
Country flag
I've experimented with it a bit. Someone described it pretty well above by stating it keeps your RPMs higher.

This is an edit because I'm an idiot... RPMs tend to stay about 1k higher, which seems to be at cruising speeds. The prior things I stated were wrong, I feel stupid posting it ... Hahaha. But the rest of this post seems true...

What I noticed about CVT (this being my first one) is that the RPMs have to spin up a bit before any real acceleration engages, you will notice a bit of a lag from when you press the peddle to when the car actually lunges forward. As far as I can tell, that shortens that lag a bit by keeping the RPMs higher, what seem like, most of the time. Of course maintaining higher RPMS is going to use up more gas.

So all this is just personal experience with this car over the last 3 months. I have owned over 12 cars over my 32 years of driving, and this is personal experience. So like anything I say... grain of salt.:spaz:

Oh, and since I probably will never have a chance to use it. Here is a dancing emoticon... :dance:

Last edited:

Scoby151

Scoby151
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Hey,

I don't know much about engines, so I've been researching if there's any negatives to utilizing the Sport Mode regularly.

I've read a bunch of Bimmer forums, and opinions vary (either yes, overwear on engine etc to no, and some even say that barring the gas consumption, a lot of people use it exclusively as they prefer it).

I figure it's there to be used, right? :)
I am a somewhat (cough) aggressive driver and I'm working on that, I swear. But gas mileage is almost a non-issue for me as I have a literal 5 minute drive to work (I have to drive as it's 35 minute walk and I work night shifts and stop judging me, it's for safety dammit). So when I get a chance to actually go on a drive, I find myself using the Sport Mode a lot.

Just wondering if/when/where you use Sport Mode, and how often?
This is off topic slightly but I had a crv as a loaner while my civic was in the shop and they had a button on the shifter to go into sport mode! Which was muuuuch more convenient!

89civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX auto
Country flag
I use it on hills, to keep the car slower going downhill or for better acceleration going uphill.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honda Civic 10th gen How often do you use Sport Mode? holy_thread_resurrection_batman

89civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX auto
Country flag
I use S occasionally on hills, L almost never..

Last edited:

Jimmyson27

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sedan 2019 Sprot
Country flag
Can I shift S while the car is in movement in D? Will it damage anything?

Sitio23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EX Civic
Country flag
If I start from a stop and feel "adventurous" I do L > S > D.

I am in a CVT and the shifter just moves forward if I start it at L, all the way up to N so I assume that's how it is supposed to be used, right?

89civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX auto
Country flag
I don't use it like that. I just use S if I'm going slow up a hill or from a stop
Sponsored