How often do you clean your leather?

royalstevn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 2016
first car with leather heard many do's and do not because it will crack your leather. originally i was going condition the leather every 3 months, but then people said to not clean it so often.

how often do you clean/condition your leather and what are your do's and do not's with leather seats?
Sponsored

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've owned many vehicles with leather and frankly I did nothing other than a damp cloth. Never had any issues. Now we have two Honda's with leather. Recently retired I have more time and plan on really babying them just for the fun of it. Lots of snow here but I have already gone and bought my two proper wash buckets in preperation for the spring. There are tons of YouTube videos and lots of products. Many say our leather is coated which allows for some more general purpose cleaners to be used such as '303 Aerospace Protectant'. I bought some for our plastic bits, not sure yet if I'll put it on the leather. Like you I'm collecting information but not in a rush, spring is a long way off.

Guess I should add, that except for a '67 Vette with red leather, my leather interiors have always been dirt hiding black.

Last edited:

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
I use meguairs gold class cleaner/conditioner on mine once a month. Just a quick wipe down and thats it.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you using any other Meguairs products?

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mothers wax? Could this be because of the Florida sun or a personal preference.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm interested to learn more about this as well. I've never owned a car with leather interior before and I want to be especially careful since I've decided to go with the luxurious Ivory leather interior. I think it may need a bit more TLC with the lighter colour, but it looked so sweet when I saw it at the dealership today that I had to have it! My other concern is my dog - she's not in the car very often and she's only 18 pounds but hopefully her little paws won't damage the leather. I'll probably cover the car in blankets in the rare times she joins me in the car just to be safe as I really want to take good care of this beautiful car!

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Mothers wax? Could this be because of the Florida sun or a personal preference.
Yeah, Mothers california gold synthetic paste wax is one of the more inexpensive ones and gets great reviews. What is because of the Florida sun?

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've owned many vehicles with leather and frankly I did nothing other than a damp cloth. Never had any issues. Now we have two Honda's with leather. Recently retired I have more time and plan on really babying them just for the fun of it. Lots of snow here but I have already gone and bought my two proper wash buckets in preperation for the spring. There are tons of YouTube videos and lots of products. Many say our leather is coated which allows for some more general purpose cleaners to be used such as '303 Aerospace Protectant'. I bought some for our plastic bits, not sure yet if I'll put it on the leather. Like you I'm collecting information but not in a rush, spring is a long way off.

Guess I should add, that except for a '67 Vette with red leather, my leather interiors have always been dirt hiding black.
Same. I had an Accord with leather seats for 13 years and I did nothing but a damp cloth once a year. Looked as good 13 years later as it did the day I bought it. Mind you, no kids, and it was black leather, so if it was dirty, it would hide it well.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I've had a few leather interiors in the past. I had a Lexus, Audi and Mercedes. I'm not an expert, but the leather on my Mercedes was not significantly better than the leather on my touring. For the price point of this vehicle, I actually think the leather is decent quality. With that said, I have always used a product which you can buy in any auto parts store. It is called Lexol and it works very, very well. I usually liberally apply it (spray bottle) to all the leather surfaces. I leave it on overnight and then buff it out the next day. All my cars interiors looked brand new when I turned the cars back in after the lease was over. Another nice benefit of Lexol is that it has a nice smell that augments the already pleasant smell of the Honda leather.

OP
OP

royalstevn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 2016
I've had a few leather interiors in the past. I had a Lexus, Audi and Mercedes. I'm not an expert, but the leather on my Mercedes was not significantly better than the leather on my touring. For the price point of this vehicle, I actually think the leather is decent quality. With that said, I have always used a product which you can buy in any auto parts store. It is called Lexol and it works very, very well. I usually liberally apply it (spray bottle) to all the leather surfaces. I leave it on overnight and then buff it out the next day. All my cars interiors looked brand new when I turned the cars back in after the lease was over. Another nice benefit of Lexol is that it has a nice smell that augments the already pleasant smell of the Honda leather.
how often do you apply it?