How much would it take to trade in for a 2020 Si?

FK7_Dylan

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I currently have a 2020 EX Hatch in SGP (CVT). I'm thinking of trading it in and adding some cash to get a 2020 Si coupe. How much do you guys think would be reasonable to add in cash?
Sponsored

Skandiluz

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR / '20 SGP CTR (Sold) / '15 FRS (Sold)
Country flag
Disclaimer: trading in a car so early is generally a bad idea.

Now to your question, that will depend on mileage, condition, and mostly how much negative equity you have (if applicable).

Example: if your car is worth $20k and you negotiate a deal on the si for $24k, you'd need an additional $4k.

Problem is, we don't know anything about your car to even give a rough estimate. I'd say you have a better shot by taking your car to carmax and/or carvana, and see what they give you. I would definitely not trade in a 2020 for another 2020 unless you put down some serious cash, and even then I probably still wouldn't justify it.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
It's up to you what's reasonable. You're going to take a financial hit if you do go for it. It doesn't help that some dealers are quoting as high as 29k for a Si coupe in SoCal.

OP
OP
FK7_Dylan

FK7_Dylan

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Disclaimer: trading in a car so early is generally a bad idea.

Now to your question, that will depend on mileage, condition, and mostly how much negative equity you have (if applicable).

Example: if your car is worth $20k and you negotiate a deal on the si for $24k, you'd need an additional $4k.

Problem is, we don't know anything about your car to even give a rough estimate. I'd say you have a better shot by taking your car to carmax and/or carvana, and see what they give you. I would definitely not trade in a 2020 for another 2020 unless you put down some serious cash, and even then I probably still wouldn't justify it.
It's up to you what's reasonable. You're going to take a financial hit if you do go for it. It doesn't help that some dealers are quoting as high as 29k for a Si coupe in SoCal.
Definitely don't think I'd be getting a brand new Si, most likely one with some miles on it (5-10k). That was something important I forgot to mention. I'm valuing my car around what KBB says (about 20-21k), so I was wondering if anyone knew what a reasonable price for a used Si with that many miles would be. Just didn't word it clearly :)

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
One thing you could do 'just to get a baseline' would be to go on Carvana and look to see what your trade in value WOULD be - all they ask is the VIN# and from there - you can have a quote within 15min if not sooner. By doing this - you can at least see what the 'lowest' amount a dealer would offer you for tradein. The other thing is when you are getting serious about it - get yourself preapproved - there is usually 3 items that you are working on with a dealer - trade in price of vehicle, interest rate AND the cost of the car. By having an interest rate already locked in and knowing what the lowest amount for your trade in would be - leaves you free to work on the price of the vehicle only and then seeing if they can't either match or beat the trade in value and then BEAT the % rate you got.

Like someone said earlier - trading in a vehicle so early - no bueno but....hope that helps with your question and good luck.

OP
OP
FK7_Dylan

FK7_Dylan

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
One thing you could do 'just to get a baseline' would be to go on Carvana and look to see what your trade in value WOULD be - all they ask is the VIN# and from there - you can have a quote within 15min if not sooner. By doing this - you can at least see what the 'lowest' amount a dealer would offer you for tradein. The other thing is when you are getting serious about it - get yourself preapproved - there is usually 3 items that you are working on with a dealer - trade in price of vehicle, interest rate AND the cost of the car. By having an interest rate already locked in and knowing what the lowest amount for your trade in would be - leaves you free to work on the price of the vehicle only and then seeing if they can't either match or beat the trade in value and then BEAT the % rate you got.

Like someone said earlier - trading in a vehicle so early - no bueno but....hope that helps with your question and good luck.
Gotcha. Thanks!

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Coupes really going for 29k in cali?? That's crazy

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Definitely don't think I'd be getting a brand new Si, most likely one with some miles on it (5-10k). That was something important I forgot to mention. I'm valuing my car around what KBB says (about 20-21k), so I was wondering if anyone knew what a reasonable price for a used Si with that many miles would be. Just didn't word it clearly :)
Gotcha, to add to what Neciovato mentioned about getting an offer from Carvana, I would get an appraisal from Carmax as well, it's good for a week. You may get more than 20-21k, the used car market is nuts right now..

With that said I took a look at Autotrader and the listings they have for a low mileage 2020 Si coupe is nuts, 24k+. Do let us know what you end up doing, it's a crazy time we live in right now.

Coupes really going for 29k in cali?? That's crazy
I believe there's a general supply shortage nationwide but hopefully people aren't actually buying at these insanely high quotes. Someone got quoted dealer markups on a regular hatchback as well, which is nuts to me. A quick search for used 2019 Civic coupes on Autotrader with low mileage shows they're going for about 24-27k in OP's zip code.
Sponsored