How much would it cost to replace the entire CVT?

bob

First Name
Stabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback
Country flag
I'm playing around with the idea of tuning my 2019 civic, and wanted to prepare for a worst case scenario. How much would it cost to replace if my CVT blew up? Assuming my warranty gets voided b/c of the tune
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know the exact costs of a CVT but I can tell you if tuned conservatively, unabused and maintained properly, tuning with a CVT has proved pretty damn reliable.

OP
OP

bob

First Name
Stabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback
Country flag
I don't know the exact costs of a CVT but I can tell you if tuned conservatively, unabused and maintained properly, tuning with a CVT has proved pretty damn reliable.
I'm a pretty paranoid person, so just want to know for my own peace of mind haha

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you're that paranoid, you may not want to tune. No sense driving and worrying about blowing your engine or transmission every time you give it gas.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Assuming a 10th gen is at your local salvage yard... about one-fiddy with the core. Skip any with front end damage or a side impact on a front axle. It’d be a fair amount of work. Bring an electric impact wrench and a friend.
Honda Civic 10th gen How much would it cost to replace the entire CVT? 19394006-9364-4EEF-BF4D-D95A6392D82E

If you buy it new... while I’ve seen MTs available online... I haven’t seen CVTs as an assembly or even just a belt assuming you’d want to buy just the belt on a snap or the CVT as a whole. I’d guess $2-3k for a new one. While CVTs are fairly simple in operation and splitting the dry side to do a belt shouldn’t be overly complicated, it isn’t something most shops I’d expect know how to do. By the time you go wild with the labor to do all that... and the possibility of additional internal damage from a belt snap for the aforementioned impossible to get belt, I’d just roll the dice on a junker with rear-end damage.

If you’re paying for labor for the install, I’d spitball a grand. Maybe a decent amount more. I doubt much less.

David16touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic touring, 2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sometime late last year my CVT broke after months of really beating on it with a flex fuel kit. Now mind you I work at an Acura dealership so I got a price break on both parts and labor. When my original CVT broke my car had ~70k miles on it. I work in parts so I personally called and searched for a trans with the lowest mileage. I was able to source one from LKQ with about 31k miles on it and it cost me $720 after getting my core charge refund. Labor was another $700 so I ended up paying about $1,400 for the replacement when it was all said and done.

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Sometime late last year my CVT broke after months of really beating on it with a flex fuel kit. Now mind you I work at an Acura dealership so I got a price break on both parts and labor. When my original CVT broke my car had ~70k miles on it. I work in parts so I personally called and searched for a trans with the lowest mileage. I was able to source one from LKQ with about 31k miles on it and it cost me $720 after getting my core charge refund. Labor was another $700 so I ended up paying about $1,400 for the replacement when it was all said and done.
I am about to change the cvt out in 2 weeks. After you swapped, did it go smoothly? Are you still pushing it

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
I'm a pretty paranoid person, so just want to know for my own peace of mind haha
I get it I have a TSP short block fund just in case

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Good luck. Please let us know then, how it went, how much it was and how much labour / hours were needed.
Will do. Transmission cost $580 for used CVT from another HATCHBACK with 60,000 miles. Labor from my mechanic is $1,200. Mileage on my current cvt is 168,000 miles and I have full bolt ons with a custom tune from phearable.
Sponsored