How much should I worry about the CVT?

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My daily overdose of the internet typically leads me to r/justrolledintotheshop where one can find a plethora of content about the CVT. How much should I worry about my transmission if I do my fair share of spirited city driving mixed with long haul mile eating?
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stock tune?

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Your CVT is doomed! It's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off 1 mile after your warranty expires! Quick, trade in your Civic for an indestructible Toyota Corolla, which also uses... CVT

uh.......

In all seriousness, you can prolong the life of the CVT with scheduled maintenance, and good driving habits. It's like the concern with turbocharged engines, statistically the CVT might fail earlier than the run of the mill MT/AT, but time will tell.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
My daily overdose of the internet typically leads me to r/justrolledintotheshop where one can find a plethora of content about the CVT. How much should I worry about my transmission if I do my fair share of spirited city driving mixed with long haul mile eating?

I wouldn’t worry about anything. I mean you’re even under warranty still right?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if you aren't tuning it you shouldn't worry about anything. the CVT is covered under the 5yr 60k mile powertrain warranty.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Main ones that had issues we're early Fords, Nissans, and the few Audi adaptations. Other than that I haven't heard of any widespread major issues industry wide.

Very few issues with CVT Accords from the previous gen

Edit: I can't type with one hand.

Last edited:

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Main ones that had issues we're early Fords, Nissan's, and the dew Audi adaptations. OtrrO than that I haven't heard of any widespread major issues industry wide.

Very dew issues with CVT Accords from the previous gen
I think there just isn't enough data yet on new CVTs to judge their durability.

I'm not old enough to answer this question, but did people have the same fear when "regular" AT came out and overtook MT?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I'm not old enough to answer this question, but did people have the same fear when "regular" AT came out and overtook MT?
People are always fearful of change and new things. The thing is, Honda has been running CVTs in some of their cars as far back as the 1995 Civic HX.

CVT_Squad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 2005 Pilot 2010 Insight 1998 Civic Hatch
Country flag
People are always fearful of change and new things. The thing is, Honda has been running CVTs in some of their cars as far back as the 1995 Civic HX.
How is yours holding up?

Are you still running 25 psi? Mine is doing just fine on muh base tune (although i never drive it, i just turned 8k miles) I've been thinking about turning the boost up a bit when it finally warms up.

Last edited:

CVT_Squad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 2005 Pilot 2010 Insight 1998 Civic Hatch
Country flag
I've been wandering the same thing. That 10 speed auto should be good for 300hp/tq minimum. Less drivetrain lag as well. That is the tranny you were talking about, right?

You would have to be pretty dam old to remember those days. My old man is 60 and grew up fooling with 2 speed powerglides and 700R4's :D Automatics have been around and common since the 30s. There was a manual renaissance in the 80s and early 90s but its back to normal it seems...

Last edited:

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
shift in complete stop, use e-brake when parking, find something else to worry about.

OP
OP
BrianDevin

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn’t worry about anything. I mean you’re even under warranty still right?
It is all covered in warranty. I haven'
shift in complete stop, use e-brake when parking, find something else to worry about.
My last car was a five speed, so putting the parking brake on is essentially muscle memory. Sadly, I'm the only person I know that does it
Sponsored