Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
i don't trust any aftermarket tuners, but thats just me,

even though your car might run fine with a "tune", i feel you are sacrificing the longevity of the vehicle,

internal damage is being done slowly,

people might say "but my car is running, so it cant be bad for it"

well that's like me saying, if im still alive and im not dead, that smoking a pack of cigarettes every day can't be bad for me,

however, if your in a financial position that would allow you to afford to replace your engine or your CVT then you don't need to worry i guess,

regardless, i wouldn't want to void my warranty over a few extra HP, thats just silly

read here......

https://www.civicx.com/threads/cvt-failure-details-inside.40889/

this guy had KTuner but its the same crap different pile
It's a shame that some of the respected tuners like JR and D-Rob and Doug MacMillan won't respond to you when you post this type of stuff. I get it, in your opinion, they'd be lying and covering their ass just to get our money if they did respond.

But here's the part you're not seeing. Canned tunes have been around for a long time and for the most part have proven to be quite reliable and conservative. The problems seem to happen when people add additional bolt-ons and frankly don't use common sense in terms of respecting the power of the tune and not overdoing things. The power is addictive.

Also, if these tunes were causing a huge amount of issues, at a point, word gets around and those tuning companies go on the shit list. Blown engines aren't good for business and they know that which is why they don't create base tunes that push things very far.

I understand your basic premise. Yes, tunes go well beyond stock power. But it's also well known the Honda's stock tunes are ridiculously conservative.

I don't tell anyone they should or shouldn't tune. For me, I felt like it was a good choice but others need to make their own decision. When you blanketly tell people tuning is a mistake or folks creating tunes could care less if they ruin your car, it creates a bit of an unfair picture of things, IMO.
Sponsored

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there any scenario where it would be okay to use 87?
If you're not planning to drive the car hard at all and just trying to commute somewhere. It retards your engine timing greatly..

OP
OP
wbuff

wbuff

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
If you're not planning to drive the car hard at all and just trying to commute somewhere. It retards your engine timing greatly..
Gotcha.

CivicOops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
i don't trust any aftermarket tuners, but thats just me,

even though your car might run fine with a "tune", i feel you are sacrificing the longevity of the vehicle,

internal damage is being done slowly,

people might say "but my car is running, so it cant be bad for it"

well that's like me saying, if im still alive and im not dead, that smoking a pack of cigarettes every day can't be bad for me,

however, if your in a financial position that would allow you to afford to replace your engine or your CVT then you don't need to worry i guess,

regardless, i wouldn't want to void my warranty over a few extra HP, thats just silly

read here......

The problem with your smoking analogy is that probably the majority of people on this forum won't be keeping their car until it 'dies'. A lot of car enthuisists and especially the kind of people that mod/tune keep their cars for like 6 years max. I plan to keep my car for 4 years. After extensive research I feel comfortable that chances are high 4 years is long before the long-term wear of an engine tune will show up.

Humblehulk

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like swah_fk7 said, 91/93. Thats what i've been using since i got the Ktuner and still use since i've converted to Hondata.

mikey003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
It's a shame that some of the respected tuners like JR and D-Rob and Doug MacMillan won't respond to you when you post this type of stuff.
maybe they don't reply because they know what im saying is correct,

do you have any idea or clue how much damage can be done to your valves over a period of time with even the SLIGHTEST incorrect fuel mixture?

i do, because i have seen the evidence of it first hand, i am a very experienced engine builder, i have seen holes in valves the size of a pencil caused by incorrect fuel mixtures,

people like you are clueless, you just plug this thing into your car and assume everything is peachy.....totally oblivious as to whats really actually going on inside your engine

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
people like you are clueless, you just plug this thing into your car and assume everything is peachy.....totally oblivious as to whats really actually going on inside your engine
You do know I know how to read and analyze datalogs, right? And quite a few members know I'm actually far from clueless. But, hey, you know more than I do. More than D Rob. More than Doug. More than JR. They are crooks and I'm stupid in your opinion.

You know, you need to give Honda a bit more credit. They built these engines with a fair amount of headroom so to speak. They are easily capable of withstanding what the base tunes make. Just because they came to market with certain power numbers doesn't mean they aren't capable of handling more in a reliable, safe way.

nawx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-T
Country flag
You do know I know how to read and analyze datalogs, right? And quite a few members know I'm actually far from clueless. But, hey, you know more than I do. More than D Rob. More than Doug. More than JR. They are crooks and I'm stupid in your opinion.

You know, you need to give Honda a bit more credit. They built these engines with a fair amount of headroom so to speak. They are easily capable of withstanding what the base tunes make. Just because they came to market with certain power numbers doesn't mean they aren't capable of handling more in a reliable, safe way.
That guy is just a forum troll. Only has negative things to say. Don't bother with him

mikey003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
Just because they came to market with certain power numbers doesn't mean they aren't capable of handling more in a reliable, safe way.
i agree 100% with that,

but the key words you use are "reliable" and "safe"

those words should never be used in the same sentence when referring to aftermarket tuners

what do the KTuner people have to say about this guys tranny?

let me guess.....not their problem right?....their product had nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

Last edited:

andyboyd102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Because before the tune there was no problem...now after the tune this problem came up
That does not explain how a tune did this. You don't even know whats broken..,lol.... if you did know you wouldn't be asking ktuner

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i agree 100% with that,

but the key words you use are "reliable" and "safe"

those words should never be used in the same sentence when referring to aftermarket tuners

what do the KTuner people have to say about this guys tranny?

let me guess.....not their problem right?....their product had nothing to do with it :rolleyes:
custom tune dude, read. Not ktuner issue, more like person who tuned it issus

Because before the tune there was no problem...now after the tune this problem came up
tuning a car does not cause mechanical overboost. You have an actual problem that had nothing to Do with tuning. Fix the issue and your tune will run fine