JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Thinking about what my next upgrade will be. I have cold air intake, I ordered a Cat Back, I have a sport clutch kit and single mass flywheel. I put in the acuity sifter bushings.

Thinking about it the next logical step to get performance gains would be an intercooler. I dont have a tone of money to spend so looking at the Mishimoto but am I gonna see noticeable performance gains from an intercooler like that.

I have just noticed especially since I put the CAI in that the stock intercooler is not that great and gets heat soaked very quickly and driving on a hot day the pre intercooler air temp will be cooler than temp at the intake sometimes. I am even thinking about rigging up a DIY water sprayer for it to get the Intake air temps down.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Zeffenn

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Check out this site: 27Won Intercooler

They have some really detailed information about the intercooler that they sell,

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
It won't give you a ton of power, but it WILL help you keep making the power you make for longer. PRL claims 9 hp I think from their kit with bigger hoses but that is mainly from the cooler intake temps. They also stay about the same over long or repeated pulls unlike the stock intercooler as you've seen.

From what you have, it would def be my next move. Mishimoto will be a good bolt-on and will keep you cool for all but extended track time from all the posts on this forum. More than enough to deal with a tune and bolt-ons short of a bigger turbo.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It mainly depends on the driving as to how much benefit you get with a performance intercooler. It depends on air flow across it. With stop and go driving in the city there will only be a marginal benefit. With highway driving or repeated pulls at a drag strip it will be fantastic to keep the car from pulling power due to heat stroke.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I think an intercooler is really key for these cars and should make a big difference. After really studying my logs I’m convinced I need an intercooler. They show that even after just mild driving the intercooler/CAI get heat soaked to oblivion and that robs the car of power. I might upgrade to the PRL Cobra too since design gets heat soaked less, probably due to using a lot of thick silicone.

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag
if you are tight on budget check out burgermotorsport intercooler or rev9 intercooler.

reesee175

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
I give an example. My stock intercooler i would see IAT'S close to 120. The mishimoto unit has no got higger than 90. It has been lower the past few days around the 70's because of how cool it is in the morning.

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I think an intercooler is really key for these cars and should make a big difference. After really studying my logs I’m convinced I need an intercooler. They show that even after just mild driving the intercooler/CAI get heat soaked to oblivion and that robs the car of power. I might upgrade to the PRL Cobra too since design gets heat soaked less, probably due to using a lot of thick silicone.
I have the PRL Cobra Installed already so the intercooler will be the next mod for sure

MichaelB450

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I recently upgraded my intercooler to the Mishimoto kit for 1.5T, including the pipe kit. I can say for sure it does make a difference. It's not super noticeable, but I can feel a bit more response with the throttle now. I'm still running the stock airbox, by the way. Turbo lag is about the same as stock, from what I can feel, and the engine feels so much better after the install. Even after a long drive on freeways.

I can't comment on what the temperatures are before and after, since I don't have a way to monitor those. But in general, I'd for sure say an intercooler is a great option, since you also change out the plastic charge pipes for metal ones (depending on the kit you get).

27WON also makes a very good kit from what I can see, should be on par with the Mishimoto one. I only went with the Mishimoto one since they are the only ones who offer a fully blacked out version with no obvious logo in the middle.
Sponsored