Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
Hey guys I feel like I’m at the line, but I want an intercooler.

2019 Civic SI Sedan

Performance mods:
PRL catted dp/fp
PRL Cobra Cold Air Intake (race maf)
MAPerformance Race Exhaust
TSP Stage 1 time (race maf edition)

The car runs great right now, but I want some more pull. I am thinking about grabbing the @27won intercooler but I am hesitant because I don’t want to go over what the stock si clutch/engine can handle.

I’ve heard the intercooler has been some people’s favorite mod and that It made their car pull so much faster.

What do you think? Thanks

@Vincent@27WON
Sponsored

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've heard some say get the IC even before the Stage 1 tune, so yeah. Do that. I do see a new clutch in your future, though.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag

2019 Civic SI Sedan

Performance mods:
PRL catted dp/fp

The car runs great right now, but I want some more pull. I am thinking about grabbing the @27won intercooler but I am hesitant because I don’t want to go over what the stock si clutch/engine can handle.

I’ve heard the intercooler has been some people’s favorite mod and that It made their car pull so much faster.

@Vincent@27WON
your clutch should be slipping already. if not the intercooler will forsure make it slip

OP
OP
Braiton

Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
I've heard some say get the IC even before the Stage 1 tune, so yeah. Do that. I do see a new clutch in your future, though.
Hmm. Do you think it’ll hold for a while?

OP
OP
Braiton

Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
your clutch should be slipping already. if not the intercooler will forsure make it slip
It never slips honestly and I push It very often. Yeah that’s what I’m thinking.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag

2019 Civic SI Sedan

Performance mods:
PRL catted dp/fp

@Vincent@27WON
You’ll be fine, if your clutch isn’t slipping then it’s able to handle the power. If it’s already slipping then that’s an indicator it can’t handle the power being put down. The Si engine components are the stronger of the bunch compared to Si vs. non-Si, it can hold the power a lot more than the other civic trims. The clutch will slip before the engine goes out that’s why a lot of people are doing the Type R clutch retrofit. The issue is, especially if you are pulling the car hard the stock IC gets heat soaked pretty fast and it’s pretty bad. So if it’s heatsoaked your engine is pulling timing because of the hot air to protect itself. By having a bigger IC you’ll be able to pull your Car more often and more aggressively without the IAT temps sky rocketing like with the stock IC. So it’s healthier for the engine since it’s receiving cooler air, and better for you because denser air has more oxygen which makes more hp. The IC doesn’t make much HP gains so you’ll be fine (if your clutch isn’t slipping). What it does do is it makes your engine not pull your timing because of it, so you’ll get consistency from your engine without you losing power

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
It never slips honestly and I push It very often. Yeah that’s what I’m thinking.
i have everything on mines and it slips pretty bad. I have been abusing the crap out of it and its still alive but its feels like its going to give out soon thats why im not really driving my car as of right now. i recomend to get a clutch asap

OP
OP
Braiton

Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
You’ll be fine, if your clutch isn’t slipping then it’s able to handle the power. If it’s already slipping then that’s an indicator it can’t handle the power being put down. The Si engine components are the stronger of the bunch compared to Si vs. non-Si, it can hold the power a lot more than the other civic trims. The clutch will slip before the engine goes out that’s why a lot of people are doing the Type R clutch retrofit. The issue is, especially if you are pulling the car hard the stock IC gets heat soaked pretty fast and it’s pretty bad. So if it’s heatsoaked your engine is pulling timing because of the hot air to protect itself. By having a bigger IC you’ll be able to pull your Car more often and more aggressively without the IAT temps sky rocketing like with the stock IC. So it’s healthier for the engine since it’s receiving cooler air, and better for you because denser air has more oxygen which makes more hp. The IC doesn’t make much HP gains so you’ll be fine (if your clutch isn’t slipping). What it does do is it makes your engine not pull your timing because of it, so you’ll get consistency from your engine without you losing power
This sounds right. That’s a good point that if it’s fine now then It should be fine once I get the intercooler on. Thanks for your perspective.

OP
OP
Braiton

Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
i have everything on mines and it slips pretty bad. I have been abusing the crap out of it and its still alive but its feels like its going to give out soon thats why im not really driving my car as of right now. i recomend to get a clutch asap
Are you on E85? Or same mods as me but with an added intercooler?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
This sounds right. That’s a good point that if it’s fine now then It should be fine once I get the intercooler on. Thanks for your perspective.
And remember the small hp gains you do get, you aren’t seeing unless you do a full pedal to the floor send. If your simple daily driving you won’t see those Max hp numbers the IC gives

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
^ what he said lmao. Regardless i'm sure you know you need a clutch in the near future. I say go for the IC, throw it on. If the car handles it awesome, if not youll have to do some work to pull it off but I mean it isn't the worst job to do lol. But at least you'll already have the IC for when you do your clutch

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cooling mods will be your friend :) First picture is the Mishimoto IC vs. Stock, and second is a side-by-side comparison of Stock vs. used PRL V1 that was laying around vs. Mishimoto

Honda Civic 10th gen How much more can my car handle? IMG_20190510_205623

Honda Civic 10th gen How much more can my car handle? IMG_20190510_205853

While you are in there, change out the stock grille to an aftermarket high flow version as well since the bumper is off. I realized on track that while my IAT's were staying low and timing wasn't being pulled, my ECT was rising way too quickly. The additional surface area and depth of a larger aftermarket intercooler blocks airflow to the the radiator. This one's from Pro Civic, it comes with the emblem, and it easily doubles what the stock grille was letting pass through.

I've got a Koyorad upgraded radiator on the way, and I'll look into the MAP Oil Cooler kit as well. They'll be overkill for cooling, you don't need to do that for yours just yet. Start with IC and Grille :)

Honda Civic 10th gen How much more can my car handle? IMG_20190915_102618

Honda Civic 10th gen How much more can my car handle? IMG_20190915_102604

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The IC doesn’t make much HP gains so you’ll be fine (if your clutch isn’t slipping). What it does do is it makes your engine not pull your timing because of it, so you’ll get consistency from your engine without you losing power
You've made some great points but be careful with this statement. I personally didn't think it'd do much but simply upgrading the stock intercooler to an aftermarket one and testing it on a dragstrip (same week, same track, same outside temps), my 1/4 mile trap speeds went up by 2.5mph on average. That's POWER!

He may be ok on the top end, where torque is already falling off but if he goes wide open throttle on the highway in a higher gear/lower rpm, the torque hit may play high school bully with his clutch, and take its lunch money. Good luck! :drive: