Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd say the same as i said in the beginning 50% more then stock max . Which would be +/- 270chp and 360nm of torque or +/- 230whp and 225ft/lbs at the wheels.
Which also works out great with the MHI upgrade turbo :)
Sponsored

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
The torque is what will break things. You can limit that with a larger turbo that produces more lb/min with less boost.
For Example:
A GTX2860 with a .72A/R @13-14psi would provide for around 300hp and it would be easier to control the torque at 250lb/ft in the RPM.

Like others have mentioned, it comes down to the "tuning" solution.

Also, when increasing your power, it would be very wise to upgrade the clutch.

StevenGregory

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Waste of time. A 1.5 L engine is not worth the effort. Enjoy in stock form do the minimum.
I've gotta' disagree. Up-tuning any engine provides a lot of satisfaction; just knowing you're getting more out of it and feeling it in the seat of your pants is its own reward. I'm reliably getting 200+ whp in my Si and it's a thrill any time I feel them working.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Should have bought the Accord 2.0T or G70.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I didn't read all the replies so I'll just state the obvious. Anytime you're on the throttle, whether stock or otherwise, you're wearing down the internals. The more you're on it, the faster it wears. Certain conditions can cause things to wear/break prematurely, such as WOT @ low RPMs or excessive back-to-back pulls.

There's really no magic number. :cool:

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Based on what I had seen on these forums over the years.
Keeping the wheel torque below 280-300 is the max I would take a 1.5T. Depends on how low the dyno reads.

The stuck clutch doesn't take too much, so plan on upgrading it.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Waste of time. A 1.5 L engine is not worth the effort. Enjoy in stock form do the minimum.
The waste of time is modifying a new car in Stockton. haha. It's going to be stolen within 6-months. :drive:

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports and @MAPerformance made hundreds of passes down the track on stock motors making 500whp+ and 600whp+ with nitrous. Granted that didn’t last long but still, these motors are pretty decent for what they are. It’s all about tuning.
What? :doh: PRL's 617hp Si has Crower internals, man. Only the head and cams are stock on their 10.99 car. Someone posted the video not long ago and it lists all the modifications.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What? :doh: PRL's 617hp Si has Crower internals, man. Only the head and cams are stock on their 10.99 car. Someone posted the video not long ago and it lists all the modifications.
I thought they did that with a stock motor? Oops, my mistake. :dunno:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
The waste of time is modifying a new car in Stockton. haha. It's going to be stolen within 6-months. :drive:
Haha modified or non modified, it would be stolen in Stockton!

simonjr

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI 2002 Honda CRV Ex 5spd
Country flag
There's really no magic number. :cool:[/QUOTE]
Hey guys I’m new to the scene I currently have D2 lowering springs, Takeda cold air intake, and recently bought a ktuner
I’ve been looking through the threads but I haven’t exactly found why I was looking for so, ima ask the questions and hopefully get some reply’s
How much hp/torque can the stock block/transmission hold and is there any special precautions I should do internally so, it doesn’t blow it’s my daily but also want it to be more responsive and faster I’m looking into a new clutch but, I’m more worried about engine blowing then the stock slipping
Thank you guys
Heres my stance: When modifying ANY car past stock, you are accepting the risk that something could go wrong, as the window for reliability goes down. Adding to this, when modifying a car I would recommend doing your own research as to the parts available and what kind of gains you can expect from it. When tuning especially for reliability, you will need to have things done properly so start looking into the total cost of said bolt-ons, installation and tuning. In saying this, I would start with a Hondata or Ktuner flash which will definitely improve response and then go from there. You don’t need allot of power with a light fwd car to improve the driving experience, power isn’t everything. Also IMO, alluding that there is some “magical” horsepower figure that the 1.5t can handle is vague, as there are way to many variables. There are daily driven, fbo si’s making around 300whp , some that even track theres quite a bit with no issues. There are those who ended up not so favourable.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
There's really no magic number. :cool:

Heres my stance: When modifying ANY car past stock, you are accepting the risk that something could go wrong, as the window for reliability goes down. Adding to this, when modifying a car I would recommend doing your own research as to the parts available and what kind of gains you can expect from it. When tuning especially for reliability, you will need to have things done properly so start looking into the total cost of said bolt-ons, installation and tuning. In saying this, I would start with a Hondata or Ktuner flash which will definitely improve response and then go from there. You don’t need allot of power with a light fwd car to improve the driving experience, power isn’t everything. Also IMO, alluding that there is some “magical” horsepower figure that the 1.5t can handle is vague, as there are way to many variables. There are daily driven, fbo si’s making around 300whp , some that even track theres quite a bit with no issues. There are those who ended up not so favourable.

Not to dispute but there are not alot of 1.5ts running around with 300 wheel. They get close on the torque but much over 275lb/ft of torque is near the limit (unless your just hoping to have the unicorn engine that lasts 50k miles waaay overclocked).

Granted there isnt alot of blow up examples comparatively speaking to the number of units honda sells; but nearly all of the examples were just over 300-350 when something let go. Another that ate 4th gear.

Also this is referencing "online activity" which may or may not represent the trends 100% but I doubt there are many who arent fairly involved in the community making anywhere near 300 anything to the tire....

Also some of this issue is people dont fully grasp what 300 wheel actually is. They feel stronger than what most would actually dyno. I hear or read it all the time "I just got my new Si and want to make 350...."

Can it be done? Surely. Is it going to end well for 9.5 out of 10 cars? Probably not.

simonjr

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI 2002 Honda CRV Ex 5spd
Country flag
Not to dispute but there are not alot of 1.5ts running around with 300 wheel. They get close on the torque but much over 275lb/ft of torque is near the limit (unless your just hoping to have the unicorn engine that lasts 50k miles waaay overclocked).

Granted there isnt alot of blow up examples comparatively speaking to the number of units honda sells; but nearly all of the examples were just over 300-350 when something let go. Another that ate 4th gear.

Also this is referencing "online activity" which may or may not represent the trends 100% but I doubt there are many who arent fairly involved in the community making anywhere near 300 anything to the tire....

Also some of this issue is people dont fully grasp what 300 wheel actually is. They feel stronger than what most would actually dyno. I hear or read it all the time "I just got my new Si and want to make 350...."

Can it be done? Surely. Is it going to end well for 9.5 out of 10 cars? Probably not.
I hear you but this l15b7 platform is only a couple years old. As you stated, only a handful are running around with 300 wheel, and the aftermarket for these cars is only expanding.

As for the few blown examples documented on this forum, I personally take with a grain of salt. Not trying to bash against the owners, but many of those (from whom I have read) who have blown there motor, were either running poorly or was due to owner error. Even then many of them don't end up reporting back on the cause. There is only one owner really that I know of that suffered true catastrophic failure. I would rather wait a couple years when people (including myself) start to put miles on this motor, to really see where reliability stands. Anything more to me as of now is just speculation.

I do agree with you with in regards to new owners coming on this forum with this quest to make large increases in hp (reason i told op to start with a tuning solution). Adding on to that, we are in this state in the automotive realm where people think that more hp= greater driving experience which, there is so much more to a great drivers car then just straight line performance. These si's handle well even with the all seasons and you do not need 350 wheel to enjoy it. Neither the si, or r were built to be straight line performers and even so, I would take a well handling car over one that can run fast quarter miles any day.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I hear you but this l15b7 platform is only a couple years old. As you stated, only a handful are running around with 300 wheel, and the aftermarket for these cars is only expanding.

As for the few blown examples documented on this forum, I personally take with a grain of salt. Not trying to bash against the owners, but many of those (from whom I have read) who have blown there motor, were either running poorly or was due to owner error. Even then many of them don't end up reporting back on the cause. There is only one owner really that I know of that suffered true catastrophic failure. I would rather wait a couple years when people (including myself) start to put miles on this motor, to really see where reliability stands. Anything more to me as of now is just speculation.

I do agree with you with in regards to new owners coming on this forum with this quest to make large increases in hp (reason i told op to start with a tuning solution). Adding on to that, we are in this state in the automotive realm where people think that more hp= greater driving experience which, there is so much more to a great drivers car then just straight line performance. These si's handle well even with the all seasons and you do not need 350 wheel to enjoy it. Neither the si, or r were built to be straight line performers and even so, I would take a well handling car over one that can run fast quarter miles any day.
There are two members that suffered Catastrophic failure, and documented pretty much every step: Kshawn and JDMpo0kie . There are also several other cases from some who have documented their builds and failures on their Youtube channel. And you are correct, there is really no need running this car at 300 WHP plus to have fun

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
There are two members that suffered Catastrophic failure, and documented pretty much every step: Kshawn and JDMpo0kie . There are also several other cases from some who have documented their builds and failures on their Youtube channel. And you are correct, there is really no need running this car at 300 WHP plus to have fun
To be fair (and both owners will admit to it) those cars were pushed much harder and with more power than you honestly need in a reliable daily driven car. It seems to me and the tuning survey bears this out... our cars just don't hold up to max power tuning with tons of bolt-ons. A base or canned tuned though transforms this car and keeps the reliability factor as well for the most part.
Sponsored