How much HP will I get running 87 octane with the CARB tune?

WolfTrax17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm considering getting the Hondata CARB tune but I need to know if it's worth the investment if I run 87 octane?

Will I get at least the stock 180 I get when I run 91 octane? I have a CVT hatchback sport
Sponsored

Last edited:

Spunkster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CTR, 2x 98 ITR's, 88 Integra, 06 RSX Type S
Country flag
I'm considering getting the Hondata CARB tune but I need to know if it's worth the investment if I run 87 octane?

Will I get at least the stock 180 I get when I run 91 octane? I have a CVT hatchback sport
You will get about 6 hp less with 87 octane.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
I wouldn't tune ANY vehicle with a CVT. Those trannys are not strong to begin with.
That's one reason why you don't see a CVT transmission in any truck.

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
The CVTs are fine as long as you use the appropriate tune, like the FlashPro +6 PSI basemap. The FlashPro retains the ECU's built-in torque limiting strategy, so you'll never get too much torque going through the CVT unit.

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
@WolfTrax17 :

I'm just curious.

Why would you want to tune the car to run low octane?
If that's the case, why not just leave the car stock.
I'm fairly certain the Civic (except for Si and TypeR) are designed to run on low octane.
It automatically retards when detecting knock from poor fuel.

Even while stock, I always fill my tank with 93 octane.
Now I'm running +9 psi and won't put anything lower than 93 octane.

@procivic :

Do you think the ECU will limit torque to prolong clutch life in a 6MT?
I feel like my car is capable of more torque, but its pretty sluggish off the line.
At 60+ mph, it'll hop to 115 mph pretty quickly, but from 0-60, it feels dead. :sleep:

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@WolfTrax17 :

I'm just curious.

Why would you want to tune the car to run low octane?
If that's the case, why not just leave the car stock.
I'm fairly certain the Civic (except for Si and TypeR) are designed to run on low octane.
It automatically retards when detecting knock from poor fuel.

Even while stock, I always fill my tank with 93 octane.
Now I'm running +9 psi and won't put anything lower than 93 octane.

@procivic :

Do you think the ECU will limit torque to prolong clutch life in a 6MT?
I feel like my car is capable of more torque, but its pretty sluggish off the line.
At 60+ mph, it'll hop to 115 mph pretty quickly, but from 0-60, it feels dead. :sleep:
With the FlashPro, you have the same torque limiting capabilities with the 6MT model, but the limits are MUCH higher (so long as you're not in economy mode). Unless you're running a +9 PSI or equivalent tune, you shouldn't need to worry about the 6MT clutch life.

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the FlashPro, you have the same torque limiting capabilities with the 6MT model, but the limits are MUCH higher (so long as you're not in economy mode). Unless you're running a +9 PSI or equivalent tune, you shouldn't need to worry about the 6MT clutch life.
I am currently running the +9 PSI basemap from Hondata.
What I mean is: "Do you think I'm hitting torque limit while using the +9 map? Should I crank up the torque limit?"

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You most likely will be able to feel the cut in power if you hit the table limits. Ideally you'd put this car on a dyno to see what it is really putting out.

If you're raising boost by +9 PSI in the lower RPM range, then you do run the risk of reduced clutch life. It would be best to get a custom tune that slowly raises boost up to +9. If you're familiar with the FlashPro interface, it is not too hard to change that (using the TC max pressure ratio table).

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You most likely will be able to feel the cut in power if you hit the table limits. Ideally you'd put this car on a dyno to see what it is really putting out.

If you're raising boost by +9 PSI in the lower RPM range, then you do run the risk of reduced clutch life. It would be best to get a custom tune that slowly raises boost up to +9. If you're familiar with the FlashPro interface, it is not too hard to change that (using the TC max pressure ratio table).
Yes. I know how to change the TC max pressure ratio table, but
I prefer the low end torque, because this forsaken city has a a traffic control device at every single block (approx. ~1/16 of a mile)
But I feel like after 4800 rpm, the engine falls flat on it's face.
I haven't checked my boost levels doing a full 4th gear pull, but I don't feel power up top.
Could be, I'm delusional, but thanks for the help, @procivic . Your original ex-t video on youtube is what motivated me on mine.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I know how to change the TC max pressure ratio table, but
I prefer the low end torque, because this forsaken city has a a traffic control device at every single block (approx. ~1/16 of a mile)
But I feel like after 4800 rpm, the engine falls flat on it's face.
I haven't checked my boost levels doing a full 4th gear pull, but I don't feel power up top.
Could be, I'm delusional, but thanks for the help, @procivic . Your original ex-t video on youtube is what motivated me on mine.
As far as power crapping out up top, I noticed the same thing with Ktuner (also had Hondata). It's not the tunes as much as it is our tiny turbo running out of steam.
Sponsored