How much for CVT fluid change? Also, better to DIY?

madmax1698

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Had my CVT fluid flushed at Spinelli Honda. They upsold me on doing a flush instead of a drain and fill which was 157$+tax. The flush came out to 370$. The person at the counter also told me that by doing this, i'd have a life-time warranty on this as long as keep up with regular tranny maintenance.
Did this at 57000 km, now I'm at 59000 km. The tranny feels much better, no more ''lag'' when accelerating.
The service rep told me the next time to do it would be at 150000 km. Is this too long for the next fluid change or is it normal?
Honda Civic 10th gen How much for CVT fluid change? Also, better to DIY? 0908190026
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Had my CVT fluid flushed at Spinelli Honda. They upsold me on doing a flush instead of a drain and fill which was 157$+tax. The flush came out to 370$. The person at the counter also told me that by doing this, i'd have a life-time warranty on this as long as keep up with regular tranny maintenance.
Did this at 57000 km, now I'm at 59000 km. The tranny feels much better, no more ''lag'' when accelerating.
The service rep told me the next time to do it would be at 150000 km. Is this too long for the next fluid change or is it normal?
0908190026.jpg

This is quite amazing. Spinelli Honda found the way to eliminate the famous "CVT lag." Something Honda Motor Company couldn't achieve. They also added to the CVT fluid the missing protection chemicals that Honda Motor Company failed to provide.

I bet they can do the same for the cooling system: flush the underperforming Honda antifreeze and add the missing chemicals to properly protect the engine.

jerost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan Lunar Silver
Country flag
At 49k miles, due for a CVT fluid change on my 1.5T. Anyone know how much this costs at the dealer?

Also, do they just do a drain and fill? I heard that only took like, 1/3rd of the fluid out. Am I better off just buying 12 qts of fluid and doing 3 drain and fills myself to get mostly new fluid in?
Hi, all. My car (17 LX sedan with 2.0 engine and CVT) has 49,850 mi. and the #3 just came on to change the transmission fluid. How about just draining the fluid, carefully measuring the volume of what came out and simply adding exactly that much back?

OP
OP

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Hi, all. My car (17 LX sedan with 2.0 engine and CVT) has 49,850 mi. and the #3 just came on to change the transmission fluid. How about just draining the fluid, carefully measuring the volume of what came out and simply adding exactly that much back?
As long as you account for the stuff that sticks to the bottle/bucket when u pour it back in.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
$50 labor + 5 Castrol CVT fluid bought at autozone $60

legit shop here in Socal with over 300 positive yelp review

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

CasualSaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
takes me less then 5 mins to remove the airbox, i wouldn't really call that a pain in the rear,

i suppose you also think removing the belly pain to access the oil drain plug is "a pain in the rear that shouldn't be necessary??"

removing the air box to me is a lot easier then trying to pour 3+ liters of fluid into the check plug hole
Do you have the 2.0L or 1.5L engine of the civic?

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
I thought it was supposed to be at 30k. At least that is what I read somewhere. Mine hit 30k recently, no indicators yet ...

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Hey guys I looked into how to diy transmission flushing our cars since I’m changing to amsoil. Problem is I don’t exactly know how it’s done. On typical cars they are usually done on the transmission cooler lines but ours has none as we have a cvt warmer (Hoses filled with coolant). So not sure what hose to use for cvt flush any suggestions? And maybe pics! Thanks

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I called Honda dealership and was told it's $159 plus HST, CAN.

So I ask for parts, she said the Honda CVT fluid is $25.99 a litre and I need 4. So it's $60 for labour.

I saw the DIY on YouTube and while it looks easy, it's time consuming, more like a PITA.

Jacking the Civic alone takes time as there's no centre point to easily & quickly jack her up. Like my previous Nissan's. Then I have to take apart the air intake...

Basically do everything twice since I have to lower down, put the intake back to make sure the fluid level is correct.

I'll pay the $60.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag

So I ask for parts, she said the Honda CVT fluid is $25.99 a litre and I need 4. So it's $60 for labour.

I saw the DIY on YouTube and while it looks easy, it's time consuming, more like a PITA.

Jacking the Civic alone takes time as there's no centre point to easily & quickly jack her up. Like my previous Nissan's. Then I have to take apart the air intake...

Basically do everything twice since I have to lower down, put the intake back to make sure the fluid level is correct.

I'll pay the $60.
You don’t have to take the air intake out. You only have to do that for the non turbo engines. Also you can just fill through the check level bolt.. and dang think you’re getting ripped off Honda fluid price... https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/oem-parts/honda-hcf-2-fluid-08200hcf2
Only 8$ here.

OP
OP

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag

I'll pay the $60.
The central jack point is like a foot behind the oil pan.

SCcivic

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 300zx 2012 Corolla S 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
Just called my local honda service center and they quoted me $437 for a cvt flush. Not sure why they are charging so much.

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
Just called my local honda service center and they quoted me $437 for a cvt flush. Not sure why they are charging so much.
Flush is probably different than just a drain and fill.
Sponsored