How much does insurance usually go up after a wreck?

AUGM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI
Country flag
Long story short is that I wrecked my 8th Gen last December and got a careless driving ticket.
With the new 2019 Si and my old truck, my insurance has went up to about $530 every quarter, and it was $330.
I'm in my 40's , and that has been my only wreck and/or ticket.
Am I getting screwed?
Also, it now takes 5 years before a wreck or ticket comes off my record.
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Long story short is that I wrecked my 8th Gen last December and got a careless driving ticket.
With the new 2019 Si and my old truck, my insurance has went up to about $530 every quarter, and it was $330.
I'm in my 40's , and that has been my only wreck and/or ticket.
Am I getting screwed?
Also, it now takes 5 years before a wreck or ticket comes off my record.
My insurance went up like $30+ a month

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven’t had anything in years but my daughter had 2 major accidents. Ours went up $50 a month the first time and nearly doubled on the 2nd. I recently added my younger daughter and they doubled it to where the monthly payment was more than my mortgage. Shopped it and got it cut in half by switching. I’d do a handful of online quotes. It’s amazing how much the premium can vary from one company to the next.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
In 2014 my new Elantra coupe got rear ended in New York it was a week old and I put less than 100 miles on it ( it wasn’t bad just the bumper) and I was sitting at a red light. They said it wasn’t my fault but I did notice a slight increase at the time I was 46 when I moved to Florida it went up another 30 bucks just because it’s Florida and there’s a lot of elderly drivers that’s what I was told when I asked about that increase. I went with another insurance company

Scott_ATL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic HB Sport Touring, 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Depends entirely on your driving record, automobile and insurance carrier. But I'd venture a guess that the Careless Driving citation hurt your rates more than the wreck did.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
the Careless Driving ticket is the bigger issue honestly, a wreck is one thing but that ticket makes you high risk.

randomisjustfine

First Name
Tadas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I am not sure about wrecks, but tickets and points is what impacts the premium a lot. At some point I was at 5 points +3 on wife’s license plus a bunch of tickets with no points. All of that was accumulated with police officers already shaving 30-40 mph of them tickets and filing it as 5/10 over/didn’t obey traffic signs, etc. The wife did 105 in 55 and also got off with something silly on a ticket, just a hefty fine and 3 points. Her ticket resulted in +10$ per month on our premium. While some of my tickets raised our premium by $30 and they were minor compared to hers.

It really depends on what is written on a ticket. Don’t be a dick, be respectful, admit the wrong doing (if that won’t get you in more trouble than you already are), don’t try to be a smart-ass, don’t try to come up with excuses. Officers aren’t stupid, they are trained to read people to some degree. I’ve been let go for doing 95 in 55 with nothing but a “be careful, there are a lot of deer around here this time of the year”

Once you have a bunch of tickets or a ticket that is real serious, slow down for a couple of years, don’t get in trouble. Have you ever seen a police officer tailgating someone who was obviously speeding and then pulling them off, while other time they all of a sudden gets into passing lane and drives off? They are checking your history.
Even if they pull you over, short or no history can lead to “I see you have no history so I’ll just give you this warning” or something minor while you are doing 30 over.

Know the area you live in, the roads, the spots where they hide. Know where you can and where you can’t/shouldn’t speed. You can lower your chances of being pulled over to the point where the only problem is unmarked cars. Don’t speed in the dark, learn to recognize the headlights of police vehicles. You have to know what is the gray area for them too. I have been pulled over and told by that same officer that as long as I’m doing no more than 12 over I am ok.

I’m not promoting speeding, but everyone is speeding to some degree. As long as you are not causing threat to other people life and use your head you can have fun every now and then. 4 in a morning, just when the sun comes up on a well known highway stretch where animal and police presence is low, visibility is good and traffic is nonexistent yet, might be the spot to check what your Si top speed is with a tune. Suburbs with kids/pedestrians around and old folks going to church on a Sunday morning is not where you should be racing some gti/sti or a z.

Also, build a good relationship with your insurance agent. They are making money by having you as a customer, not by ripping you off (corporates job is to rip you off, not the agents). You can be doing 30k miles a year, but good relationship with an agent can put you on a low (<6k miles/year) mileage deal with no need for proof, etc. Little personal pre-story of you being a family man or doing something super boring and safe will help you build that. Their job is to understand how much of a risk you are. Anyway you can look/sound like you are very mature, responsible, etc will help you.

At the end of the day, tickets vs no tickets can cost you 30% more/less.

Edit: their not they’re
Sponsored

Last edited: