How much can the stock (2.0L) engine/powertrain handle?

Slim Kermie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX, 2006 Yamaha R6
Does anybody have any information regarding the maximum rated hp/torque/cylinder pressure for the stock 2.0L and attached components? Extensive Google searches have only returned information for older generations of civics.

I'm not going to put a giant shot of nitrous into my Civic, but I know that others will want to, and I'd rather have this important information available so people don't grenade their engines.
Sponsored

2hot2handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC-TOURING, 2005 EVO VIII
This info isn't out because no ones measured this yet for the 2.0 and 1.5 motors. Generally speaking, to figure out the "limits" of a motor, takes extensive tuning, real life driving and time. Long story short, it's gonna be awhile before a general consensus determines how much HP & Torque these new motors can handle.

With that being said, you obviously have the opportunity to help pioneer this bench mark. Run a single fogger 50 shot and see how the motor reacts. Over time of tuning and real life driving, let us know how it's working out. Obviously if you decide to, you can raise the bar and go to a single fogger 75 shot or even direct port. They'll be plenty of people soon enough doing the same with other force induction methods.

OP
OP
Slim Kermie

Slim Kermie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX, 2006 Yamaha R6
I may have the opportunity to, but I don't currently have the money to; aside from tinting the windows and getting the car wrapped to protect the paint from the sand, I'm going to pay off my loan first before I start modding.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
As far as how much HP and torque the motors can handle, the engine won't be the limiting factor, the CVT will limit how much grunt the car can handle. The engines will probably be capable of much more power than the CVT will be capable of taking before it pukes.

sometimestwice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You could safely run an intake and tune I'd imagine. 158 hp factory is decent. It should be able to handle that extra boost in power considering the turbo motors have 200 hp in reality. And as far as I'm aware the transmission isn't any different.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
If this latest iteration of the k-series is anything like it's predecessors, the block with stock sleeves will handle about 600 hp, and if you get Darton MID's pressed in, over 1,000. The stock tranny will need to be upgraded with a stronger gearset/LSD/axles if you want any sort of reliability with a high hp setup. PPG and Quaife will probably come out with a tailor-made solution in the next couple of years.

Until then, leave the big turbo on the shelf!

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It can "handle" more than you'll ever be able to get out of it. With almost all engines, it's not the amount of power that is the limiting factor, it's HOW that power is put in. I can take a stock V8, add a big supercharger, and blow it up in a week. I can take the same V8, put the same hp the supercharger makes in through exhaust, heads, internals, intake, and electronics, and make it last even while beating on it.
Sponsored

Last edited: