How much can the CVT handle?

Cartman417

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes C43
Country flag
who is pushing some good power on the cvt with no issues? And does anyone know of someone who has destroyed a cvt by putting down too much power?
Sponsored

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Apparently some guys in Thailand pushed theirs to 279 WHP, with 354 NM, which converts to 254 ft lbs of torque. I'd say it's pretty much established that 250- 260 ft lbs is the limit.

Honda Civic 10th gen How much can the CVT handle? Screenshot_20181112-075012

Honda Civic 10th gen How much can the CVT handle? Screenshot_20181112-074833

Honda Civic 10th gen How much can the CVT handle? Screenshot_20181112-075113

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Did they go further than that & blow up the transmission or how was it determined that those are the established limits? What combination of modifications did they use to achieve that kind of performance?

Reactions: Myx

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did they go further than that & blow up the transmission or how was it determined that those are the established limits? What combination of modifications did they use to achieve that kind of performance?
Hondata's R&D determined the limit. I believe it was the belt that started to show wear and deterioration. Mods on the thailand build are fuzzy because of the poor translation. I'm trying to get more info on that though. I'm guessing it might be a turbo upgrade. Not sure if they have access to ethanol in Thailand, which would be the only other way to make that much power.

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I think I’m gonna stay away from flex fuel
But plan on intercooler & charge pipes (not sure which brand yet), full turbo back exhaust (dp/fp, catback, I already ordered), intake, & ktuner.

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I think I’m gonna stay away from flex fuel
But plan on intercooler & charge pipes (not sure which brand yet), full turbo back exhaust (dp/fp, catback, I already ordered), intake, & ktuner.
Ethanol is probably the best power mod there is for these cars. Unless you're upgrading the turbo, bolt ons aren't all that beneficial as far power goes. They help with temps, overall flow, response, and power conservation, but outside of a turbo upgrade, fuel is where most of the power is.

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah my main goal is not to make power as much as it is to maximize efficiency. Gas stations that have e85 are few & far between where I live & the mileage suffers too much for me to otherwise justify switching to corn.

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah my main goal is not to make power as much as it is to maximize efficiency. Gas stations that have e85 are few & far between where I live & the mileage suffers too much for me to otherwise justify switching to corn.
Mileage doesn't really suffer much unless you're running full E85, which isn't the best for power anyway.

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I think the 250-260 ft-lbs is pretty accepted at this point as dad as CVTs go... but how about those rods?

The guy who bent a rod but did not ruin his CVT comes to mind...

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think the 250-260 ft-lbs is pretty accepted at this point as dad as CVTs go... but how about those rods?

The guy who bent a rod but did not ruin his CVT comes to mind...
Torque is what has been bending rods for the most part. Bad fuel, bad tunes, and knocking will do it as well though.

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Jesus. Maybe I’ll just do a base ktune and I take and leave it at that
He had a custom tune, intake, and some other stuff. There's still quite a few more variables to account for when you wonder why it went bad.
Jesus. Maybe I’ll just do a base ktune and I take and leave it at that
You can probably do more than just that. some of these guys are running several mods without issues.

I think the custom tune had something to do with it. From my understanding you can ask your tuner to be more or less aggressive with a tune, even at the same psi. We won't know unless someone finds out from the tuner or the guy, but I'm sure a super aggressive 21psi can be a lot more risky than a maxed out base map.

Hopefully someone with more custom tune expertise (customer or tuner!) like @dallasjhawk @KTuner @D-RobIMW can weigh in!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm working on upping the boost at 3500 rpm to 5500 rpm from 21.0 to 22.5. I think I've done it boost table correctly but I'm not 100% sure about setting the Ktuner Final Boost Target properly. The tweaked Hondata +6 tune I made pushed this much boost without issue and was definitely quicker.
Sponsored