How many of you Did Not Break-in your Engine?

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
How many of you did not brake-in your Engine?
What are Risks of not doing?
What could possibly happen if its Not Done ?

I never did it it was my First New Car
I never knew about it till months later
Sponsored

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
The break in information is not listed in the index of my Owner's Guide or Owner's Manual. You'd think something like this would be listed & also mentioned at the beginning of the Guide or Manual.

In the Owner's Guide on page 90 there is a topic titled "Driving". It's continued on page 91 under "In addition" and says.
• During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or
full throttle operation so as not to damage the engine or powertrain.
• Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km). You should also follow this
when the brake pads are replaced.

Nowhere is the word or term "break in" used. I have the PDF version of the Guide & Manual, but searching for "break in" or "breakin" doesn't do any good because nothing like that exists.

The Civic's Guide & Manual are lacking in what's listed in the index. The PDF version has helped me several times because it can be easily searched. Unfortunately in the case of "break in" that didn't even work.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Israel,
BriteBlue is right

Google have all these answer ;
Ask ; why break a new car engine

The most common break-in practices recommended by car makers include gentle driving, avoiding extreme speeds, and always accelerating gradually.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unless you were ripping it off the rev limiter every time you got in the car within the first couple hundred miles, i wouldn’t lose sleep over it.
:thumbsup:

Israel, to give you an answer, I always do breaking to all my car

Last edited:

OP
OP
Israel

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The most common break-in practices recommended by car makers include gentle driving, avoiding extreme speeds

I just remember Speeding it up to 100mphr
Couple times , But Never Redline

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The most common break-in practices recommended by car makers include gentle driving, avoiding extreme speeds

I just remember Speeding it up to 100mphr
Couple times , But Never Redline

Most important ; Avoid high RPM
Avoid RPM = gentle driving

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
How many of you did not brake-in your Engine?
What are Risks of not doing?
What could possibly happen if its Not Done ?

I never did it it was my First New Car
I never knew about it till months later
From what I hear the engine and the clutch are both pre broken in by factory. But, I still drove it pretty calmly the first 1,000ish miles

scootibum

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC3
Country flag
I drove mine easy for the first 1,000 miles just a as a precaution.

OP
OP
Israel

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unless you were ripping it off the rev limiter every time you got in the car within the first couple hundred miles, i wouldn’t lose sleep over it.
True
I just was wondering since i remember ibdrove mine fast couple of tines bit nevee did full trottle or rev the engine high rpms to the redline
Im now 13,000 miles so I guess i should be doing ok

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Manual says take it easy for the first 600 miles. I'll probably take it easy for the first 800 miles. However, I live in a city with shitty roads, stop and go traffic, and people who lane hop and cut you off constantly. Pretty sure I'll never get to lean into this car very hard anyway.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The break in information is not listed in the index of my Owner's Guide or Owner's Manual. You'd think something like this would be listed & also mentioned at the beginning of the Guide or Manual.

In the Owner's Guide on page 90 there is a topic titled "Driving". It's continued on page 91 under "In addition" and says.
• During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or
full throttle operation so as not to damage the engine or powertrain.
• Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km). You should also follow this
when the brake pads are replaced.

Nowhere is the word or term "break in" used. I have the PDF version of the Guide & Manual, but searching for "break in" or "breakin" doesn't do any good because nothing like that exists.

The Civic's Guide & Manual are lacking in what's listed in the index. The PDF version has helped me several times because it can be easily searched. Unfortunately in the case of "break in" that didn't even work.

Honda apparently has been de-emphasizing break-in for some time. I doubt the current revision is because of any actual technology changes during the last 10 years. I don't think there is any difference between these engines relevant to break-in.

The manual for 2009 CR-V contained two entries in the index ("Break-in, new vehicle" and "New vehicle break-in"). They pointed to a section called "Break-in Period, Fuel Recommendation". The break-in conditions were the same as for the current 10th gen. Civic.

Honda Civic 10th gen How many of you Did Not Break-in your Engine? u8taZ3xByPdbrYttDNdX613XzQpA1W7Vab2LbiNNQryiDwBzOyTsKTLnOTwuQ?width=411&height=590&cropmode=none

R MODE

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R Championship White
Country flag
As a lifetime Honda motorcycle Dealer employee, it is my observation that the break in period instructions are written by lawyers, not engineers. They are attempting for you to break yourself in and get used to the car and not pitch it into a ditch.

OP
OP
Israel

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As a lifetime Honda motorcycle Dealer employee, it is my observation that the break in period instructions are written by lawyers, not engineers. They are attempting for you to break yourself in and get used to the car and not pitch it into a ditch.
That means written by Lawyers as a Precaution to prevent Dealers Replacing Engines which would coat money to the Dealer?.
So are the Engines are Break-in at Factory?
I never break-in my Engine Step by Step
Im afraid it may affect Engine with in Time or its Performance
If something would of happen to my Engine i would of Know by Now? Im at 15k
Sponsored