How many more 2021s be made? When will the next gen body start shipping?

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 2011 Nissan 370z
Country flag
Hard to find solid info on this. Does anyone know for sure how much longer Honda will be producing the 2021? If I'm #3 on a list at my dealer, am I okay to chill and wait, or should I work harder at finding one in the color I want (that's close to MSRP)? I'm not into the changes they're going to make to the 2022 so I'm really hoping to get a 2021...
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unconfirmed if this is true or not... but according to a reddit post on this exact question, a guy who claims to work in honda engineering said that production of the current gen civics will wrap towards the end of July of this year... however, this seems to contradict Honda's claims that the new civic will be released this Spring... so take that info as you will.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Isn't production of the hatchback supposed to come to the US? I would think info on when that change will occur would lead you in the right direction.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Swindon, the only plant that produces Type Rs, is closing permentantly in July. That is known and can be confirmed if you Google it.

July is the normal 'switchover' time to the new model year. So it makes sense that Gen X will continue to be built at Swindon until it closes. (No point in investing in retooling for the new generation if you are going to close the plant.)

Hard to say how many more will be produced, and even harder to guess how many your dealer will get between now and the last shipment.

OP
OP
mim

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Might be a stupid question, but ... if the new Civic comes this spring, the new Type R will release at the same time?

rwht

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8 (Incoming)
Country flag
Might be a stupid question, but ... if the new Civic comes this spring, the new Type R will release at the same time?
Quite unlikely, because Honda wouldn't want the attention of the regular Civic to be pulled away by the Type-R. They may announce some information on the Type-R alongside the Civic, kind of like what Acura's done with the TLX Type-S, but the reviews and launch will probably delayed from the regular model.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Gen XI, not the current R.
I'm fully aware of that fact. Common sense would dictate that when current production in Swindon ends, that would be the end of the X's production, thus answering his question.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I'm fully aware of that fact. Common sense would dictate that when current production in Swindon ends, that would be the end of the X's production, thus answering his question.
Ah, I was thinking you were saying to wait for production to come to the US and buy then. Not that he wouldn't be able to buy a FK8 once production comes to the US.

OP
OP
mim

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks, all. This helps. I am going to chill for like two more months.

Ah, I was thinking you were saying to wait for production to come to the US and buy then. Not that he wouldn't be able to buy a FK8 once production comes to the US.
*she ;)

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah I suppose I could have been clearer. But I imagine the OP knew what I meant.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
people selling good used cars here ..Why don't you check out the classifieds ?
Or you could try your luck at the dealers now I haven't looked at the market since buying this car was an unpleasant experience. If I were you honestly I would wait for next gen Type R even if it comes out in 2023 or 2024. It gives you that time to save your money put a good DP down or pay it off outright since you know what you want already.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
if the new Civic comes this spring, the new Type R will release at the same time?
If the past is any expectation for the future, the 10th generation Civic was delivered in 2016 to dealers, and it wasn't until a full year went by before the 2017 10th gen Type R arrived at dealers (~April 2017).

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It could also be there will be a staggered release for the body styles (as there was with the 10th gen). The sedan may debut/go on sale this spring and the hatch back will hold back until July when Swindon closes officially. I would expect the possible Si models to come slightly later, maybe Fall. And new Type R maybe by the end of this year, but possibly not until Spring 2022.

Honda has quite a few refreshes and redesigns planned for the next 2 years. HRV, CRV, Pilot/Passport, Accord, will all be seeing refreshes or redesigns by the end of 2022 most likely, not to mention hype around the acura lineup which still has Type S variants to unveil as well as the new ILX replacement.

OP
OP
mim

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update... if anyone cares... I'm waiting for the 2022. I'm now #1 on the waiting list with my dealer (only dealer who sells at MSRP around here). I passed on a couple Boost Blue in March and April. The dealer told me last week they're not getting anymore 2021s. So I looked at the CTR inventory site and started calling around. I'm in a big city so I have a few choices. Everyone is marking up at least $5,000 and not budging. I called farther out to neighboring states. Incoming ones are either sold or marked up like crazy. No thanks!

So I get to keep my paid-off badass Mazdaspeed3 for another year and get to be first to get a next gen CTR in any color I want and not pay markup. Hard to be sad about that. ;)

And congrats to whoever got those two Boost Blue. :D
Sponsored