How many more 2021s be made? When will the next gen body start shipping?

AlpineBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '23 Kona N, '09 335i
Country flag
I get your perspective. It is quite undewhelming in stock form. I bought my CTR with my heart and not my head. I've wanted a CW Type R since 1998.

IMO the Golf is the better car. Its a stronger car. Its a cheaper car to modify.

Once the MK8 becomes available its going to be pretty much impossible for me to not trade my CTR in at that point.
I've been contemplating holding out for the MK8 instead of a CTR. We currently have a 2013 Passat V6 SE DSG, and I must say that car has been the most comfortable and reliable car I've owned, currently sitting at 105k miles. This is after 6 Japanese cars consecutively. We probably won't hold onto it much longer, but it has been an amazing DD/vacation car. Far exceeded our expectations. My only gripes (which may only pertain to this particular model) are: the steering wheel must be made of the hardest material on planet Earth, the roof and trunk lid are so paper thin that it's concerning, and obtaining/collecting "special" tools required to work on the car yourself gets annoying. My BMW has been easier to work on, and I feel like that's really saying something ?
Sponsored

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
i wish i had a exige. i just dont know if i can fathom stepping over those god dam rockers every time i get in and out haha.

I'm amazed you can get such high mpg. My fuelly tells me i average 21.8 LOL.
I think the car is practical too but i think it lacks a little bit in the comfort and build quality department (which is to be expected imo). but i do come from acuras and lexus and a commute that takes like 1hr30mins to drive 27 miles lol.
I'm only 5'9 and an avid runner so my frame fits the car well. Although nearly hitting 40 so I make some odd sounds getting in and out of it. Especially with a helmet on at the track lol...

I noticed a drastic improvement in mileage after doing the Hondata flash. The 2018 is flashed for Hondata 93 octane and has the Mishimoto intake. Often hitting 34 mpg with fuelly but the average sits around 32 mpg.

The stock 2021 was only getting around 28-29 on the honda built in computer... now with the Mishimoto intake it's displaying 31-32 per tank fill up. Although I know that's a lie and I haven't added this car to fuelly. I'm sure it's really sitting near 27-28 mpg. Excited to get it flashed like the 2018 and get my Em-pah-gahs back on track.

I also drive the car pretty mellow to and from work with a constant pace of 45-65 mph with limited stop and go. The only time it gets ripped on is through the round abouts :p

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hauled mine 500+ miles back home in Comfort mode and I gotta say, it really was fantastic. I could have kept going had I not been awake for nearly 24 hours. The seats look deceiving but are extremely comfortable, probably some of the best I've ever had in a car. I've been using Sport mode more recently as the car is now broken in but yep, feels a lot different between the different modes. Comfort is like smoking a big fat joint and makes the car feel kind of lazy and relaxed whereas Sport/R is like snorting some cocaine and makes it more edgy. It's just a great car that makes you feel good no matter how you drive it :drive:
Lol at that rate, R mode is like a dab ?
I agree though a hundred percent! I was worried about the seats. Now, I've even gotten over the lack of heated seats!

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen How many more 2021s be made? When will the next gen body start shipping? IMG_20191110_203128

Our household has both the MK7.5 R (Manual) and my CTR. Did multiple road trips in the Golf so I have nearly as much seat time in the Golf as my CTR.

Stock for stock, it's a toss up because they're both good at different things but here are some things I've noticed:

1. CTR rides better and has more interior space.
2. Golf R has better overall NVH, MUCH better audio, better infotainment, and slightly better fit and finish.
3. CTR handles neutral (relatively) while golf R begins to push a lot sooner. Golf is harder to drive at the limit than the Civic.
4. Transmission is TERRIBLE on the Golf. Probably the worst manual I've driven to date. Shifter throws are numb and vague, lots of noise from the clutch and engaging 1-2-3 smoothly is nearly impossible. As much as it pains me to say it, the DSG is the way to go on these cars.
5. Type R has way better steering. The Golf's race mode steering is still lighter than the Civic's comfort steering.
6. Ergonomics/driving position are better on the civic, though, both have terrible pedal placement. At least the civic has auto rev-match, where the Golf does not.

Given all this, they're both very capable dailies. Civic drives better, and is arguably the better drivers car. Golf has a better interior and has little things like ambient lighting and better feeling materials. The only 2 ways the Civic is a better daily is interior space and ride comfort.

Last edited:

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
The fuel shortage has reminded me of something else my GTI did better: it had a reasonably sized fuel tank. I swear this car has a shot glass in back.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
1. CTR rides better and has more interior space.
I couldn't agree more with most of your comparison, but I couldn't agree less on this. While my car is on Swifts, hers is on Eibachs (bought that way, soon to be upgraded with Bilstein B6 damptronics and camber plates which will probably further the divide IMO) I have to give the better ride quality to the golf. Steering has been cleaned up (but still not as tight as the CTR) through VCDS, and while I'm a HUGE DSG fan, a DG shifter linkage setup definitely helped the 6MT a ton. Its a little notchy now but a vast improvement.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
I couldn't agree more with most of your comparison, but I couldn't agree less on this. While my car is on Swifts, hers is on Eibachs (bought that way, soon to be upgraded with Bilstein B6 damptronics and camber plates which will probably further the divide IMO) I have to give the better ride quality to the golf. Steering has been cleaned up (but still not as tight as the CTR) through VCDS, and while I'm a HUGE DSG fan, a DG shifter linkage setup definitely helped the 6MT a ton. Its a little notchy now but a vast improvement.

Not sure if you've rode on stock springs before (and we're comparing stocks for stocks here right..?) but the golf R bottoms out a lot sooner than the type R. Both will bottom out given a big enough road defect, but I found the type R to settle rough undulations on the road a lot better. My gf isn't a car enthusiast, but even she said her car doesn't soak up the bumps as well as the Civic.

To your point though, once I got H&R springs on my car, surprisingly, it made it ride a lot worse than the golf lol. Downsizing to 19" tires with more sidewall has alleviated instances of bottoming out, but it feels under-dampened and choppy still compared to the Golf's stock suspension.

We're in the process of downsizing the Golf's rims to 18"'s and running a 235/40 tire instead of the stock 235/35. This should fix the bottoming out a little so I can report back once we have it on.

I will have to give the DG shifter linkage a try, my gf plans on keeping the car as long as she can so I'm trying to figure out ways to make it drive better. We were thinking of doing the clutch delay valve delete, as well as getting an aftermarket shifter unit to eliminate some of the slop in the linkages.

I'll also note that the Golf R has a lot more random creaks and chassis flex than the Civic as well. Especially when going up ramps into plaza's, it almost sounds like the interior panels are rubbing against each other. We've had to bring it back to the dealership about 3 times for this (they still couldn't fix it) and also had the clutch pedal assembly replaced, and had the driver front suspension replaced under warranty due to a leak. Most of this happened around 30k miles so it did take awhile for all these issues to start popping up.

OP
OP
mim

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 2011 Nissan 370z
Country flag
Soo... my dealer ended up getting one more Boost Blue. Their last one. After passing on 3 other Boost Blues I decided I'd be crazy to pass on another and I said yes. It's mine as of today! And I'm so in love.

Honda Civic 10th gen How many more 2021s be made? When will the next gen body start shipping? IMG_20210618_140321

Jarielctr

First Name
Jariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
in my opinion the limited edition close this type r production to america and produces again in five or six years.

Fenrir07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mazda 3
Country flag
Still holding out some hope there will be a few stragglers that get shipped to Ohio or Western PA and at MSRP but yeah, the ship may have sailed on finding a new 10th gen.?

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
Within 150 miles of me, NH, there are three LEs at 13-15K markup, a CWP at around 5K markup and a BBP at 4.5K markup.

Those prices are 'estimates', whatever that means.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
mim, I think that was a great call to pick up a 2021. They will soon be harder to come by and it might be a year or two at least until the next gen comes out with an R.
Love the colour :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Reactions: mim