How many more 2021s be made? When will the next gen body start shipping?

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
i find the ctr very easy to dd. its like buying a modded car done right. now if you live in some 3rd world hell for roads, perhaps another car would be best.
I went from a 2011 Si daily driver to a 2021 CTR, and they're both very comfortable and easy as a daily. I never even use Comfort mode as Sport is just fine. My wife thinks the CTR (in Sport) is more comfortable as a passenger, which surprised me a little but I think they're both great. As far as fun, the Si was great on mountain roads but the CTR is in another league.
Sponsored

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't really get the criticisms of the CTR's daily driving abilities. Like the OP, I have owned MS3's and a GTI in the past. The CTR rides BETTER than either of those cars, even on the OEM rubber bands. I never like the feel of the VW products. People seem to confuse "sophistication" with "numbness", and my VW was absolutely numb. Horrible steering, braking, and clutch feedback. VW prides themselves on the feeling of solidity in their products, but it translates into their cars feeling heavier than they actually are. The VW was definitely quieter in the cabin, but again, that is mostly down to the stock tire/wheel situation in the CTR. Easily fixable.
Is it numb and a little too comfortable in stock form? Absolutely. But with a tune, tires, suspension upgrades, and most importantly, VCDS tweaks to the throttle response and steering, the car can be made quite good. Many of the same things you'd do to a Civic. And it makes a lot more power for a LOT less money.

I love my R, but if I had to choose a daily driver in this segment? The Golf R is a no brainer. Creature comforts such as a far superior sound system, heated leather seats which are NEARLY as supportive as the CTR, ACC and blindspot monitoring, auto dimming rearview, a MUCH better looking gauge cluster in the 7.5's, FAR better build quality, better paint, on and on and on. The CTR does one thing REALLY well and the Golf does a LOT of other things much better. And if you can't acknowledge that, you lying to yourself to justify you purchase.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Is it numb and a little too comfortable in stock form? Absolutely. But with a tune, tires, suspension upgrades, and most importantly, VCDS tweaks to the throttle response and steering, the car can be made quite good. Many of the same things you'd do to a Civic. And it makes a lot more power for a LOT less money.

I love my R, but if I had to choose a daily driver in this segment? The Golf R is a no brainer. Creature comforts such as a far superior sound system, heated leather seats which are NEARLY as supportive as the CTR, ACC and blindspot monitoring, auto dimming rearview, a MUCH better looking gauge cluster in the 7.5's, FAR better build quality, better paint, on and on and on. The CTR does one thing REALLY well and the Golf does a LOT of other things much better. And if you can't acknowledge that, you lying to yourself to justify you purchase.
Not really man, we're comparing stock for stock not modded - and then it just comes to personal preference. Better build quality is subjective, VW's aren't known for their quality tbh - and the creature comforts you cite are really subjective as well - Auto dimming / blindspot monitoring - none of that stuff is worth beans to me and others.

Enjoy the car but suggesting the VW of any stripe is better than the Type R is pretty hilarious...

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Not really man, we're comparing stock for stock not modded - and then it just comes to personal preference. Better build quality is subjective, VW's aren't known for their quality tbh - and the creature comforts you cite are really subjective as well - Auto dimming / blindspot monitoring - none of that stuff is worth beans to me and others.

Enjoy the car but suggesting the VW of any stripe is better than the Type R is pretty hilarious...
Stock vs stock lmao. Sounds like a boring lifestyle.

You're delusional my friend. We've had a half a dozen VW's with no issues. CTR has already been in for one recall. VW, zero. Build quality, materials used, its a black and white difference. Hell, my CTR rattles like a spray paint can by comparison. Shit, look in your back seat once and compare that material to any other car out there. That shit is pure trash.

Cool that you don't car about things that nearly EVERYONE else wants in a daily driver.

Last edited:

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Even i can admit the CTR has trash build quality as far as creature comforts go for daily driving...

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Jesus... You people think the CTR doesn't have comforts as a daily? Bunch of fancy asses in here :D

I'm just glad it has AC and a radio...
Man i agree lol but you have to know i came from a Mazda, a G37 back to a civic..lol so my standards went up

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Stock vs stock lmao. Sounds like a boring lifestyle.

You're delusional my friend. We've had a half a dozen VW's with no issues. CTR has already been in for one recall. VW, zero. Build quality, materials used, its a black and white difference. Hell, my CTR rattles like a spray paint can by comparison. Shit, look in your back seat once and compare that material to any other car out there. That shit is pure trash.

Cool that you don't car about things that nearly EVERYONE else wants in a daily driver.
Bud, I said it was subjective as in - everyone has a different opinion. I respected your opinion and merely stated my own. Calling me boring for not modifying a phenomenal car even stock is funny, but do go on :) I've had a ton of cars, modded the lot of them - the Type R, to me, is great as it sits so I don't see the need to change anything on it - see - opinion - at best I would like better speakers in it.

So you see, not EVERYONE wants all that bullshit in a daily driver.

Leather - no thanks - have it in other cars, much prefer the seats in the R as they are weather agnostic (M2 seats get hotter being leather, so do the X5M's - though that one does have seat AC which is nice to offset)

And I also bought a 2019 to avoid Honda Insight or whatever it is called which probably has the blind spot alerting you crave, though I've found mirrors and situational awareness when driving > nanny computer assists but you do you! :) (My M2 is also bereft of all sensors and such - doesn't even have a backup camera or sounds??? CAN YOU IMAGINE THE HORROR?)

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
The CTR does one thing REALLY well and the Golf does a LOT of other things much better. And if you can't acknowledge that, you lying to yourself to justify you purchase.
I know a guy who bought a Golf R a few years back and pretty sure still has it. It was his daily and he gave it high remarks. Said the only thing he wished it had was the manual instead of the DSG but beyond that it was the perfect DD for him. He did a few things to it including some suspension work and said it really helped a lot. I never went for a ride in it so not sure how it compares to the Type R but I’ve always read and heard good things.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Even i can admit the CTR has trash build quality as far as creature comforts go for daily driving...
I love the car, and its a great toy/track car. I semi-daily drive it in the summer. Like I said, it does ONE thing really well.
Yikes imagine driving a stock car performance car LOL.
Can't tell if that's sarcasm, but judging by your signature it probably is ?

OP
OP
mim

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 2011 Nissan 370z
Country flag
NapalmEnema, I like how you think.

And I see your M2 with no backup camera and raise you a 370z with no backup camera. Ain't no seein' out of the back of that thing... you just inch and pray. lol... But really, like you said, situational awareness... real driving... yes yes yes. I want to DRIVE my dd, not play with buttons or be lulled into comfort by heated seats. If I don't arrive with broken vertebrae and an adrenaline rush no fun was had. When my commute gets comfortable I will be in a coffin. :thumbsup:

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Bud, I said it was subjective as in - everyone has a different opinion. I respected your opinion and merely stated my own. Calling me boring for not modifying a phenomenal car even stock is funny, but do go on :) I've had a ton of cars, modded the lot of them - the Type R, to me, is great as it sits so I don't see the need to change anything on it - see - opinion - at best I would like better speakers in it.

So you see, not EVERYONE wants all that bullshit in a daily driver.

Leather - no thanks - have it in other cars, much prefer the seats in the R as they are weather agnostic (M2 seats get hotter being leather, so do the X5M's - though that one does have seat AC which is nice to offset)

And I also bought a 2019 to avoid Honda Insight or whatever it is called which probably has the blind spot alerting you crave, though I've found mirrors and situational awareness when driving > nanny computer assists but you do you! :) (My M2 is also bereft of all sensors and such - doesn't even have a backup camera or sounds??? CAN YOU IMAGINE THE HORROR?)
My guy, I'm 38 years old and drove half a dozen shit box EG's and EK's and DC's back in the day. I know what its like to have manual windows and no power steering.

I'm speaking to things that are standard on most KIA's nowadays.

Like I said, its a toy. As you mention things like your X5 it seriously makes me question if you even daily the R. My guess would be no.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
NapalmEnema, I like how you think.

And I see your M2 with no backup camera and raise you a 370z with no backup camera. Ain't no seein' out of the back of that thing... you just inch and pray. lol... But really, like you said, situational awareness... real driving... yes yes yes. I want to DRIVE my dd, not play with buttons or be lulled into comfort by heated seats. If I don't arrive with broken vertebrae and an adrenaline rush no fun was had. When my commute gets comfortable I will be in a coffin. :thumbsup:
Spoken like a 22 year old...

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
i actually drove a golf r before buying the ctr. in all fairness the golf r was a used 2019 with low mileage. leather seats in texas is a hard no go and i probably should have never drove the ctr. because as much as it pains me to say, i dont even remember driving the golf r after driving the ctr. its just that good to me, my own subjective opinion. i had the front fully wrapped with suntek shortly after buying due tk]o all i read in here.

keep in mind i wanted to like the golf r (turning 40 this month) because of its mature apperance and first impression on build quality. but the ctr spoke to my inner child in a way the golf r didint.

once again my opinion.
Sponsored