How many more 2021s be made? When will the next gen body start shipping?

Bobbyt

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Update... if anyone cares... I'm waiting for the 2022. I'm now #1 on the waiting list with my dealer (only dealer who sells at MSRP around here). I passed on a couple Boost Blue in March and April. The dealer told me last week they're not getting anymore 2021s. So I looked at the CTR inventory site and started calling around. I'm in a big city so I have a few choices. Everyone is marking up at least $5,000 and not budging. I called farther out to neighboring states. Incoming ones are either sold or marked up like crazy. No thanks!

So I get to keep my paid-off badass Mazdaspeed3 for another year and get to be first to get a next gen CTR in any color I want and not pay markup. Hard to be sad about that. ;)

And congrats to whoever got those two Boost Blue. :D
The new type r won't come out until a 2023 model and you won't get the color you want lol.The 10th generation type r you get what comes to that dealership period color wise lmao
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Is the next CTR going to be a 2022 or 2023 though?

OP
OP
mim

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 2011 Nissan 370z
Country flag
My dealer is saying 2022, but I guess it could be 2023.

Bobbyt, my dealer gets tons of them. Being #1 on the waiting list means I get first call on every one they receive. I think they call it "right to refuse." So I refuse each one until my color comes up. Or I take the first one if it's the color I want. Depends how it plays out. Not sure how you dealer works but that's how it works here. All being said, yes, I will get the color I want. That's why I'm waiting for the new one.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Being #1 on the waiting list means I get first call on every one they receive.
Just being devil's advocate, be prepared for them to fall through on that promise. Perhaps try to get that same reservation at another dealer too, to give yourself options.

My local dealer has pulled that BS on me a few times, "we'll call you first!" only to never hear from them and watch their allocations come and go out the door.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I would keep trying for current gen...and wait for the next gen Type R. We control the market remember that.

OP
OP
mim

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just being devil's advocate, be prepared for them to fall through on that promise. Perhaps try to get that same reservation at another dealer too, to give yourself options.

My local dealer has pulled that BS on me a few times, "we'll call you first!" only to never hear from them and watch their allocations come and go out the door.
Sorry to hear that. I think I'm okay with this one though. It doesn't hurt to keep an eye on inventory and do a lot of checking in, both email and phone. Gotta stay in their face. lol

OP
OP
mim

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would keep trying for current gen...and wait for the next gen Type R. We control the market remember that.
Agree.. but unfortunately there's too many people paying crazy markup. No way I'm competing with that. Just not worth it to me.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Just wondering. Do yall think the next gen wont have a mark up?
I think it will.

OP
OP
mim

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just wondering. Do yall think the next gen wont have a mark up?
I think it will.
I think it will depend on the dealer. And the ones that mark up will continue to if people pay the markup.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
Supply and demand usually wins.
Because of COVID, world-wide shortages, shipping problems, etc., the 2020 and 2021 production of CTRs was small. My best guess is 3,000 for 2020 and 7,000 for 2021, worldwide.
2018+2019 was around 29,000 total.
Once Honda gets the US assembly line for these going, they should be able to produce 2019 numbers without a problem.
When? No clue. Again a guess, but I'd say early-mid 2022.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Why did you pass on the two BB's? Not your color of choice? I wouldn't give up, keep searching if you are really serious about buying one, especially if you want a brand new one. Personally I wouldn't buy a first year first gen model but that's me. Took me several weeks to find my 21 for what I was willing to pay. Have been super happy with it and have zero regrets. Definitely a special car. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Update... if anyone cares... I'm waiting for the 2022. I'm now #1 on the waiting list with my dealer (only dealer who sells at MSRP around here). I passed on a couple Boost Blue in March and April. The dealer told me last week they're not getting anymore 2021s. So I looked at the CTR inventory site and started calling around. I'm in a big city so I have a few choices. Everyone is marking up at least $5,000 and not budging. I called farther out to neighboring states. Incoming ones are either sold or marked up like crazy. No thanks!

So I get to keep my paid-off badass Mazdaspeed3 for another year and get to be first to get a next gen CTR in any color I want and not pay markup. Hard to be sad about that. ;)

And congrats to whoever got those two Boost Blue. :D
Bold choice to get on a list for a car that no one knows what its going to look like, especially given how ugly the base models have proven to be.

OP
OP
mim

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why did you pass on the two BB's? Not your color of choice? I wouldn't give up, keep searching if you are really serious about buying one, especially if you want a brand new one. Personally I wouldn't buy a first year first gen model but that's me. Took me several weeks to find my 21 for what I was willing to pay. Have been super happy with it and have zero regrets. Definitely a special car. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
I have a Monterey Blue 370z and didn't want another blue car. Probably a stupid reason but it is what it is. The Boost Blue is hot. No argument there. :)

I'm real picky about my dd... it's my kid/dog/bags of mulch(lol) hauler and all season driver, so I prefer front wheel drive (or all wheel), and I need four doors, and a hatch. Has to be a stick and has to be fast and fun. There's just nothing else out there for me. I don't want a Golf R (had too many VWs in my life), and last I checked the WRX doesn't come in hatch. I'm aware of the first gen thing.. but willing to take that risk because the Type R is the only car that has all I need (want? lol).

And thanks. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
mim

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bold choice to get on a list for a car that no one knows what its going to look like, especially given how ugly the base models have proven to be.
See my reply above. Being on the list doesn't mean I'm under contract to buy one. And ugly is subjective.
Sponsored