How many miles do you guys get on full tank? (Poor mpg)

MUSTslient

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi guys!

So far I filled up my used 2016 civic lx tank 3 times so far. I filled when the range close to 30 miles. In both times it got 10.xx gallon. I reset the trips and average mpg before filling up. Whatever, the most range I got with full tank 271. Is it normal? After a while driving I donā€™t even get what it showed at the first time I filled up the tank. What I mean by that is trip+ estimated range on the screen doesnā€™t make the 270 miles range it gave at first. It do like 245-250.

I see people on forms getting 300/400+?
I havenā€™t seen these number also any better mpg than 27 but it donā€™t stay to long, usually 20ish and sometimes low as 18. I mostly drive in city like %80 of the time (I live in NJ but I donā€™t think thereā€™s that much of stop signs and traffic lights In the town that I live as much as Montclair, New York, Newark does). Is this numbers and ranges are normal?

If itā€™s not what should I change to increase the mpg? Like spark plugs? (Car has 72k miles btw)

(I checked the tire pressure and made sure all 32 like it recommended from manufacture. I get the gas from same place (wava))
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rfabianfk82020

First Name
Rence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Really depends on how you drive man. I have a 2020 Type R. FBO w/ tune. I get about 210-230 miles every tank. When I fill up I usually get 8.5-9.5 gallons. I live in NJ too. Iā€™d say Iā€™m doing 70/30 highway/city. I have fun with my car. I do pulls usually every time I drive but never too crazy. Iā€™m past that stage of my life. Not sure if your car has a turbo, but just watch how you drive. If you really want to get better mpg. Read up or watch vids on YouTube. Youā€™ll learn a lot. Hope that helps from a fellow NJ driver!!

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, Rallye Red
Country flag
I get about 340 miles in a 2019 Civic EX hatchback. I don't drive it easy either.

RetroRacer1980

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Civic Sport Sedan(sold)ā€™12 Camaro SS/RS ā€˜23WRX
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I get around 330 miles or so roughly when completely full in my 2020 Sport Sedan with the 2.0 NA motor with 6 speed manual transmission.
Averaging around 27.2 mpg 90% city driving with some spirited mountain drives occasionally.

OP
OP

MUSTslient

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why am I getting 100-140 less then you guys. I got it itā€™s 2016 but it also LX trim as time goes it getting less but isnā€™t ir too much?

have anybody else experienced that kind of low mpg and range like I do? I am easy going on car too.I try not to past 3k rpm.

jack.

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I drive a bunch if short trips in the city in my si, so I only get about 250 miles on a tank.

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si
Country flag
310 miles on average and spirited driving here and there.

Been a few times i barely got 250 but could be gas.

bluzfanmr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Touring Coupe, '10 Hyundai Tucson
Country flag
I get 425-475 miles depending on how much city driving there is and the area I'm driving in as I live in a very mountainous area.

I would start with simple things like the engine air filter for sure. Also, I would do an oil change and if it were me, I would change the spark plugs since it's a used vehicle, assuming you aren't familiar with the history. I don't know if that trim has the econ button but it may make a small difference to keep it in that mode.

These are inexpensive things to start with that I would do if I bought this car used.

TonyTheTiger57

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 T-Bird, 78 Cougar, 84 Bronco, 85 F150 17 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My tire pressure is at 42PSI... I go off what the tires reccomend... not a door sticker. I don't think this will make 150 mile difference to a tank though

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17ā€™ Si FC3, 17ā€™ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22ā€™ RL RTL-E
Country flag
My tire pressure is at 42PSI... I go off what the tires reccomend... not a door sticker. I don't think this will make 150 mile difference to a tank though
The tire pressure on the sidewall of the tire is the max pressure the tire can handle. 42 PSI will give you uneven tread wear, a rougher ride, less grip because less tire is making contact with the ground. This could be dangerous in heavy rain or snow. Increased mpg from higher tire pressures is a result of less friction from contact with the ground.

It is absolutely recommended that you go by the sticker in the door jamb for a stock wheel and tire setup. But if you think you know better than the manufacturer of your vehicleā€¦ more power to ya, bud.

Tony 19 Si

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I hyper mile. Mostly. My driving is 90% highway. Oh, and another minus is my Cross Climate Michelin's. They made mpg drop ~3 mpg. So with all that I am seeing 43-45 on the car, and calculated 40-41 mpg on the last 5 tanks. As others have said it will vary depending on your driving.

OP
OP

MUSTslient

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I get 425-475 miles depending on how much city driving there is and the area I'm driving in as I live in a very mountainous area.

I would start with simple things like the engine air filter for sure. Also, I would do an oil change and if it were me, I would change the spark plugs since it's a used vehicle, assuming you aren't familiar with the history. I don't know if that trim has the econ button but it may make a small difference to keep it in that mode.

These are inexpensive things to start with that I would do if I bought this car used.
OMG! Look what all these people wrote. People get more range then I do with Si, Type R.

Iā€™m broke student my eco mode always on and never put on sport šŸ˜‚

Iā€™m going to a Honda dealership tomorrow for oil, oil filter, and transmission fluid change. Iā€™ll ask them to do air filter, and spark plugs. Iā€˜ll keep you guys updated after the maintenance.

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
Take a look at my Fuelly logs in my Signature. You will see many mid to high 20 mpg tanks where I get around the same mileage. I drive mostly city and unless you can time every light perfectly, itā€™s the constant acceleration from dead stops what kills your mileage.

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
My 13k miles average MPG is 36.5 When I fill up it tells me about 420 miles. I commute on the highway and drive like an old lady most of the time.
Sponsored