How many do NOT mod their Si what-so-ever???

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used to run the K/N panel filter and I would try to use the same sort of "it's going to be ok" type of internal talk as well to make my purchase "ok". The truth is I am not so sure now... years ago in the 1980's the paper was "different" Nowadays the paper filter seems to be very deep and effective in doing the job as it should. Filter debris. The K/N used to have some BS "guarantee" about boosting your gas mileage by 2% or something of the like for good marketing - as if it should be used by UPS in bulk to save THEIR company money on a daily basis. I do not know ANYONE who has oiled their own filer after 50K miles. Never met one. Even worse as a human you ARE going to over ail putting your MAF at risk! I feel like that this is $50 snake oil ... but ... it;s ok ... I bought in once or twice myself. I think removing that heat soaked piece of rubber on the top of the box WILL DO MORE for performance than the panel filer ... just me ... being me!
Scientific evidence has something to say about your "snake oil" claim.

Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I used to run the K/N panel filter and I would try to use the same sort of "it's going to be ok" type of internal talk as well to make my purchase "ok". The truth is I am not so sure now... years ago in the 1980's the paper was "different" Nowadays the paper filter seems to be very deep and effective in doing the job as it should. Filter debris. The K/N used to have some BS "guarantee" about boosting your gas mileage by 2% or something of the like for good marketing - as if it should be used by UPS in bulk to save THEIR company money on a daily basis. I do not know ANYONE who has oiled their own filer after 50K miles. Never met one. Even worse as a human you ARE going to over ail putting your MAF at risk! I feel like that this is $50 snake oil ... but ... it;s ok ... I bought in once or twice myself. I think removing that heat soaked piece of rubber on the top of the box WILL DO MORE for performance than the panel filer ... just me ... being me!
I've been using a k&n filter on my 2006 Camry since 2010, it now has 140k on it, I have already cleaned and oiled it once with an $18 cleaning kit that has three more cleanings left. Oiling is easy, 1 layer on each side of the media. I have never had any mechanical problems nor any problems with any sensors.

No it doesn't improve MPG, but it does improve performance. I have one in my Si and one in my 2013 Sienna. I basically don't have to buy another filter for the life of my cars as they last 4 cleanings every 50k

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Lastly it lasts 50k, and you just wash it and put it back in. You can clean it up to 4 times before replacing it
So 50K before it’s first wash? This figure I’m sure fluctuates on how dirty the environment is. And, you’ve already alluded to it, but is there a special recommended method for this filters cleaning?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
So 50K before it’s first wash? This figure I’m sure fluctuates on how dirty the environment is. And, you’ve already alluded to it, but is there a special recommended method for this filters cleaning?
For normal driving K&N recommends cleaning at 50K (miles), but if you drive in harsh environments such as dirt roads etc., you would service it sooner. For cleaning the filter, you purchase the cleaning/re-oiling kit from Amazon for around $18, or you can even use something like Simple Green ($1 for a bottle that will last you a long, long time) for cleaning the filter. Instructions on cleaning and re-oiling can be found on K&N's website and there are tons of them on youtube.It's really easy, doesn't take that long to do. The longest part is drying the filter in the sun for 45 minutes.

OzCop

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe, 2020 SLT GMC Terrain, F450 MH
Country flag
I have only had mine one month today...have 600 miles on it. I have 17 x 8 with 45mm offset Konig Hypergram wheels coming, and 255 40 17 RE 71 R Bridgestones that just arrived at Discount Tire. When the wheels make it, they will mount them and I will put them on my 2019 Si Coupe, along with K&N drop in air filter, and do some autocross testing. I may add a rear sway bar, depending on how it rotates with the new tires, and might do something to get some noise out of the exhaust. New cars are so quiet now, that in competition driving, it is difficult to know when to shift before bumping the rev limiter. Exhaust mod will fix that. Other than that, I may try to get as much negative camber in the front as available without making any modifications, and reset the toe in/out. As far as visible mods other than wheels and tires, I don't add anything to the car that will add weight. The wheels will drop about 10 lbs per corner, and removing the mufflers will add another 15 or so to the total lbs. lost. I doubt there is much more weight to be lost.

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is my only car, not a toy.
Sure but still there are ways to make the car more comfortable, better looking, easier and fun to drive. You don't have to rice it up or throw on every bolt on in existence to do these things.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have only had mine one month today...have 600 miles on it. I have 17 x 8 with 45mm offset Konig Hypergram wheels coming, and 255 40 17 RE 71 R Bridgestones that just arrived at Discount Tire. When the wheels make it, they will mount them and I will put them on my 2019 Si Coupe, along with K&N drop in air filter, and do some autocross testing. I may add a rear sway bar, depending on how it rotates with the new tires, and might do something to get some noise out of the exhaust. New cars are so quiet now, that in competition driving, it is difficult to know when to shift before bumping the rev limiter. Exhaust mod will fix that. Other than that, I may try to get as much negative camber in the front as available without making any modifications, and reset the toe in/out. As far as visible mods other than wheels and tires, I don't add anything to the car that will add weight. The wheels will drop about 10 lbs per corner, and removing the mufflers will add another 15 or so to the total lbs. lost. I doubt there is much more weight to be lost.
Nice! For camber up front, you have to pull the guide pins out of the top of the strut mounts and take advantage of the (tiny) slot Honda graced us with. You will very likely want a bigger rear sway bar, you have several good options if you decide to upgrade.

healtoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do Type R H emblems count? I know some folks think they look rice on non R but I think on my WOP they look nice with the red HFP lip to match

Maybe one day when the warranty is up and I win the lottery I will swap a Type R engine. One can dream...

Honda Civic 10th gen How many do NOT mod their Si what-so-ever??? upload_2019-1-28_21-46-30

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
I have to agree with KTuner. Their tuner and TSP Stage 1 actually made the car fun to drive. Before that, I could tell it needed more. And, the best part, is I still get almost the same fuel economy. You can put this on a completely stock Si for great gains and makes it a far better driver. I leave it in sport mode 3 all the time. It is THE mod to get if you only get one. And, you can unlock it from your vehicle's ECU and re-sell if you're not sold on it.

Burritoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
I'm on the fence about the tuner right now, I know it will completely change the car in terms of power/response and for the money it is a no brainer. However, it is not JUST a tuner, you will absolutely need a clutch within 10k miles from what everyone who has had the stock clutch and had their car tuned. So a relatively affordable modification that is 400-600 is now 1k plus labor to install the clutch. I'm not sure I want to dump the money into the car then have to be concerned with how livable a heavier clutch will be or how it will hold up driving it in traffic now and then (probably fine, they are usually more durable than stock) If I do it I would absolutely pay someone to install a clutch, either FX300 or FX350 are the ideal choices from what others have had installed.

Last edited:

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have put some money down on a 2019 Ralley Red Coupe. I do not yet have the car in the driveway. I should have it next month. I have been thinking about exactly "what do do" as far as modifications. Don't laugh ... but ... I am honestly thinking about just enjoying the car in stock form. Are there folks here on the forum who do the same? I feel a bit like the deck is stacked. Modding is not what it used to be and I have been doing so since 2001 with no less than 4 different cars. You are not going to get true real world gains on the Si unless you are all "in". The car does all that it should right from the factory. There are no obvious omissions or "must have's"... all dollars spent on modding eventually are lost dollars since you eventually move onto the next car.
I have not modded my '17 SI. 25,000 miles later it is still doing 99 % of what I want stock. A Hondata Flash would be nice, but I am not about to void my warranty on this daily driver. If anything, I would look at doing the Acuity pedal spacer kit to make it easier to heel and toe. I will upgrade the tires when the factory all seasons die to some strong summer tires. So yes, there are good tweaks out there, but no, you don't have to mod this car to enjoy it immensely.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have put some money down on a 2019 Ralley Red Coupe. I do not yet have the car in the driveway. I should have it next month. I have been thinking about exactly "what do do" as far as modifications. Don't laugh ... but ... I am honestly thinking about just enjoying the car in stock form. Are there folks here on the forum who do the same? I feel a bit like the deck is stacked. Modding is not what it used to be and I have been doing so since 2001 with no less than 4 different cars. You are not going to get true real world gains on the Si unless you are all "in". The car does all that it should right from the factory. There are no obvious omissions or "must have's"... all dollars spent on modding eventually are lost dollars since you eventually move onto the next car.
Add to previous comment: Racing brake pads if you are going to track it. I don't track it, but that would be a must. Otherwise standard brakes seem strong and fade free.
Maybe a few items from the 007 parts bin too, like revolving license plates, bulletproof glass, front machine guns, rotating wheel blades to shred tires (nah, that only works well with wire knock off hubs), oil slick, smoke, and caltrop options from the tailpipe, and of course an ejector seat for when your passenger thinks you are coming in too hot on a turn and whines about it.

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
If I never tuned my car I would still have it.

SkyeSI

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI Coupe. 2018 JL Rubicon. 1988 K5 Blazer
Country flag
If I never tuned my car I would still have it.
Can you elaborate? I've been researching and trying to make a plan for my 2019 SI Coupe. What's your story?
Sponsored