Darkmatter

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX-L
Country flag
@Darkmatter what context are you looking for? I’d be happy to answer any questions you have.

I drive around 45k kms per year. I’ve got 96k kms on my 2 year old 2018 Si
I'm a numbers and data guy and it just struck me as such at outlier for the annual mileage. Just wondering why you were piling so many miles on the vehicle e.g. sales, have girlfriends stashed across multiple provinces, have one heck of a commute etc... What you said in the other reply makes a lot more sense, many of these were bought secondhand so the mileage isn't all "yours" for back of a better word.

Love seeing pictures of the old cars people have kept. At risk of sounding ancient, people today have no idea how good (and bad) they have it with photo documentation of their lives via cel phone/social media. Can't put my hands on the picture when taking dealer delivery of my Celestial Blue Pearl CRX DX but if I do will post. Had a dealer-installed ,aftermarket ASC tilt/sliding glass sunroof otherwise it was stock. That little roller skate was pure joy to throw around corners even though it was gutless. I'll never forget the smirk a 70's Vette owner gave me, when I naively tried to pass him on the right, after we were stopped at the light. Suitably humbled and schooled, I concentrated on having fun in the corners, and left the speed wars to those with actual displacement ;-)
Sponsored

Darkmatter

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I’m about to own my second Honda Civic today!! I went in for an oil change yesterday and walked the floor just to check out the newer models, with no intention of buying (I’m leasing my car rn and planned on buying it out after, so I’m happy with my 2018 ExT). Well I live in Washington and this particular dealership is in high demand for used 2018 civics?? so I agreed to sit down just to compare numbers and I was not happy with any of their offers at first, but I told them what I wanted and they basically gave it to me. I currently pay 250 a month for 12k miles & and i had equity of 2,00 and they gave me a trade in value of 18k. My lease is up Sept 2021.

First option was 0 down, 12k miles, 380 a month. Nope. Not gonna pay 130 more and I’m not putting anything down just to bring my payments down.
Second was 0 down 10k miles and 310 ish. I finally told them I drive roughly 12k a year, I don’t wanna pay more monthly and I’m not putting any more money down to trade in my car. So they offered 0 down, 12k miles for 300 and I agreed. I could afford that! Also told them I was gonna keep my wheels and that I wanted my windows tinted since I had paid for them on my ‘18. They also agreed to do that for me at no extra charge.

But get this, my car was hit a while back and I got it “fixed”, (posting pics below) and my windshield had a noticeable ding on it too. I never reported it to insurance so it didn’t come up on car fax so they decided to look past it, fix it themselves and STILL give me the trade in value of 18k. I was planning on getting it fixed myself anyway so that’s a few thousand I’m saving myself and in the end I’m trading in my beat up car for a new 2020?? All in all, I think I got myself a good deal & ended up winning. Thoughts?

14B45A05-EDEC-4464-908D-7991F127E1C0.jpeg

A0431851-E617-4514-994F-ABD61431DD8C.jpeg
We're getting slightly off topic but when you say "own" and "lease" in the same narrative, its slightly confusing. Controversial opinion but I wouldn't ever lease a car unless it was some form of tax/business write-off.

In terms of the deal, I'm certainly not the best negotiator but just looking at the numbers here is my take. If they're offering you 18k for the 2018 but holding to full MSRP for the 2020, then really they're offering you more like 15-16k for the 2018, which is in the ballpark for trade in value according to KBB. Make sure you're not paying MSRP, Capital Honda is regularly advertising 2-3k off MSRP for their Civics, and if they're not, S. Tacoma Way Honda a few miles up I-5 will.

But this really shouldn't be an economic decision - every time you buy a new car, you're taking a depreciation hit the second you drive it off the lot that you'll never get back. If you want a new car, and the MY2020 has more toys and features (like Honda Sensing) , and you can afford it, then do it. If you're looking to save money, don't focus on the monthly payment and instead focus on the overall cost. You've already got a chunk invested in the 2018, it's taken a big depreciation hit, in no scenario do you get that money back. Instead, you take another 4-6k depreciation hit on the MY2020, over the next few years.

What complicates your situation is the undocumented accident, and the fact there are a few issues known with the MY2018 (AC specifically), which may be worth the peace of mind to just be done with the older vehicle.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As my name says. Actually. I owned 3 American cars before my 1st Civic, an 85 hatchback, an 83 hatchback, a 95 Ex sedan, a 97 Ex coupe, a 99 Dx hatchback, and my awesome 16 Ext coupe.
So only 6, but thats cause I keep them forever and they're so fricking reliable!

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
My first Honda was the FG 100 Harmony mini tiller I bought almost 20 years ago. The second was the QuadraCut GCV 160 self-propelled (of course) lawn mower I bought 11 years ago. They are both fast. The mower is also quite a heavy piece of exercise equipment and has been giving me great workouts.

At that point I had decided to try a Honda car, so my third Honda was the CR-V I bought the same year as the mower.

The civic is my fourth Honda and the first civic.

So I haven't yet decomissioned, sold, or traded-in a Honda. I still own them all.

Reid313

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic lx
Country flag
I’ve had seven so far: 93 hatchback, 94 hatchback, 98 hatchback, 00 sedan, 07 sedan, 09 sedan, and a 2020 sedan that I just picked up. I’ve still got 4 of them now the 20 being the only road worthy one. But the 98 will hopefully be back on the road with a b16a out of the 93 which has rusted away. I’m really impressed with how far Honda has come in the last 30 years with their cars. This 2020 feels like a completely different brand then the old ones. But with hopefully the same reliability.

ts13

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
78 CVCC, 87 INTEGRA LS Hatchback (FANCY CIVIC), 2001 ACCORD, 2007 CIVIC EX. 2011 CIVIC EX-L, 2019 CIVIC HBST. So 4 (5) Civics - 6 honda's overall !

Last edited:

ITGRAD

Love my Civic!!!
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring and 2015 Lexus CT200h
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is my 2nd civic but 3rd Honda.

1992 Civic (Manual)
1987 Honda Accord
2016 Honda Civic

pei_guy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
1st Civic, 2nd Honda. I was a truck guy for many years but just got tired of burning so much fuel all the time so I bought an Accord new in 2016 and bought this Civic in July. I'm very pleased with Honda cars and will likely buy another for my next vehicle.

Sporin

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
Country flag
This is my 3rd Civic and I've also owned 2 Accords.

I go way back :D here was my first, loved that clamshell rear hatch. Don't mind the jorts, it was the 90s, we all made choices we regret. :D

Honda Civic 10th gen How many Civics have you owned? LWdUuak
Sponsored