First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
looking into getting an amp and upgrading speakers, im assuming id be fine with a 4 channel amp but i know some cars have way too many channels.. anyone know or could point me in the right directon? It seems information on this "mid level" audio system is as sparse as my coupe in a world of hatchbacks and sedans
Sponsored

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
You just need a 4 Channel amp, our headunit has a 4 channel output, each channel is then later split to the 6.5 speaker and tweeter

Last edited:

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
Also do you plan to use the stock speaker wires and use the 9 wire from the amp back to the stock speaker wires?

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
well I'm toying with the idea of buying a full JL setup - MX500 or MX280 for the amp since the MX series amps are very small, C2 650's for the front with tweeters, and for the back, C2 400x's plus another set of tweeters in the back. im not satisfied with many amp locations other than the roof of the trunk by where the factory sub would go. Keeping functionality of everything ( footwells clear from feet/ seats need to lay down flat / Spare tire needs to be accessable ) is a high priority of mine. I dont mind running my own wires to not ruin factory wires.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
nice i have C2-650x all around and i love them
You can always put the amp under one of the front seats

if you are gonna do the install yourself get this
Axxess AX-DSP-HON2 a Plug and Play T-Harness, you dont need to cut your head unit wires, makes things easier, you just need it for the T-Harness and the DSP wires you can cut off

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've done audio installs before, this would be my 5th vehicle to install a system into, varrying degrees of course, but this one is a new challenge as its still a new car to me, I'm a bit more held back on not destroying things for it. also i had no idea the drivers seat had that much room under it, i think that would be a good spot, i have about 5 inches of depth ( front to back of car ) to work with in front of my full cover floor matt from the rear. ( i didnt want to compromise the floormats ability to do its job or fit properly with an amp in the way or sitting on top of it / same with a subwoofer assembly in the trunk with the hard shell type trunk liner.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I did a Kicker Key Amp for my speakers in my R with plenty of space under the seat, Kenwood makes a really good tiny little amp too.

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag

Axxess AX-DSP-HON2 a Plug and Play T-Harness, you dont need to cut your head unit wires, makes things easier, you just need it for the T-Harness and the DSP wires you can cut off
does this simply allow one to take the four speaker outputs and run them into anyone's processor or amps, or is it proprietary to AXXess' DSP?

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm likely going to skip the sub-woofer and just amp the 2 doors and rear deck, 8 speakers.. i'm also going to add sound deadening on the doors and in the trunk, also do a bit of the rear deck while I'm going to have that available too.. has anyone got any coupe speaker slots pictures.. its impossible to find good up close pictures of that area back there where some have managed to stuff 5.25 inch speakers in the 4 inch slots. I'm curious. that would make buying speakers THAT much easier to use the larger ones as i wont have to buy an extra set of crossovers

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

that seems quite wasteful to buy a $70+ harness adaptor to just cutt of the main reason for it.. why not just buy one thats not a T plug that should be substantially cheaper. Also I've seen you mention the poor factory radio equalizer and recommend the Audiocontrol LC2i / LC7i . But that pricetag is starting to get a bit out of hand for what i was expecting. I was thinking more along the lines of 40-50 bucks would be acceptable to me for a line out converter. is there possibly another option your aware of to balance out the bad EQ?

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
does this simply allow one to take the four speaker outputs and run them into anyone's processor or amps, or is it proprietary to AXXess' DSP?
you use the Axxess AX-DSP-HON2 to tap the audio source from the head using it with out cutting the existing wire, you can send the source to a DSP or to the amp

Heres a videos showing how it works

that seems quite wasteful to buy a $70+ harness adaptor to just cutt of the main reason for it.. why not just buy one thats not a T plug that should be substantially cheaper. Also I've seen you mention the poor factory radio equalizer and recommend the Audiocontrol LC2i / LC7i . But that pricetag is starting to get a bit out of hand for what i was expecting. I was thinking more along the lines of 40-50 bucks would be acceptable to me for a line out converter. is there possibly another option your aware of to balance out the bad EQ?
I duno where you got $70 bucks from but its like $45 for the Axxess AX-DSP-HON2 and worth it and i dont think there is an actual T harness out there for our cars
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_149213_Axxess-AX-DSP-HON2.html

If you get honda hack for like 6 bucks and you can add Viper4Android for free and fix the EQ
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/viper4android-install.40471/

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
also Viper4Android only works with android auto and Bluetooth, not apple carplay or the FM/AM radio

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the $75 was from their official website it would seem, i forgot to check other places for it. Viper doesn't work for FM/AM radio?? I almost exclusively use bluetooth 99% of the time with the rare Android auto use. But i still want Fm to work at times. Will it still play and just wont use the new updated EQ settings? Ive been on the fence with Hondahack and slowing down an already slow system.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
not sure but to me it feels like the FM/AM is just not effected by the viper4android so you really dont lose anything, you just dont gain anything

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
great, yea if its just not affected by it, i can deal with a little sub par audio quality from FM radio. ill need to look into all this Hondahack stuff - I'm not really that interested in playing YouTube / Netflix stuff on it.. more interested in the utility stuff like the parking break settings lockout and other things like that. does it just become an android tablet at that stage? - can i install any normal android app on it? it would be nice to be able to read and make custom text message responses via voice and / or typing with it vs pre determined text message responses. but im just throwing ideas i would like it to have, no idea if it does or not.
Sponsored