DELETED

three86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
How can it take 2 seconds to shift? My shifts are as fast as I can pull or push the shift knob. If I said "One One Thousand" I would have the clutch out before saying "thousand". So like .5 sec? I don't keep the clutch held in at all waiting for rpm to drop. I tap the clutch to the floor as fast as possible and let off just as fast like the floor is lava. Maybe the last 20% of letting it off is just a little slower and pushing the gas pedal at the same time. I'm not dumping it into gear it is smooth. Maybe this is stress on the transmission or drivetrain but I've shifted this way for 30 years and never had a problem. I also downshift a lot instead of braking and I've heard that it is actually better to brake because they are easier to replace but I have never had a problem with that either.
Sponsored

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
How can it take 2 seconds to shift? My shifts are as fast as I can pull or push the shift knob. If I said "One One Thousand" I would have the clutch out before saying "thousand". So like .5 sec? I don't keep the clutch held in at all waiting for rpm to drop. I tap the clutch to the floor as fast as possible and let off just as fast like the floor is lava. Maybe the last 20% of letting it off is just a little slower and pushing the gas pedal at the same time. I'm not dumping it into gear it is smooth. Maybe this is stress on the transmission or drivetrain but I've shifted this way for 30 years and never had a problem. I also downshift a lot instead of braking and I've heard that it is actually better to brake because they are easier to replace but I have never had a problem with that either.
I think everyone here is referring to how long it takes if you want to rev-match your upshift, it takes forever for the rpms to drop, especially in the lower gears. If you don't care about always having the smoothest possible shifts then this is less of a problem. I personally don't mind a little jerk in the lower gears and keeping the revs high.

three86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I think everyone here is referring to how long it takes if you want to rev-match your upshift, it takes forever for the rpms to drop, especially in the lower gears. If you don't care about always having the smoothest possible shifts then this is less of a problem. I personally don't mind a little jerk in the lower gears and keeping the revs high.
I don't have any jerk and the rpms drop faster when I let out the clutch fast like that. The slower I shift or leaving in the clutch is when the rpm hangs. The trick is to give it exactly the right amount of gas to not excessively slip the clutch.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My 1-> 2 shift takes the same time as my 3->4 shift. I don't really mind the rev hang and got quite used to it since my previous car was a 6mt Acura TL that also had rev hang and a clutch delay valve.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I have literally NO IDEA how long it takes me to change gear .. never even think about it anymore .. my Si just changes gear as if by itself when I am driving, and I am not even conscious about changing gear... it just happens when it needs to :drive:
And here I was thinking I was the only one who felt this way. It's like trying to describe walking... just do it ffs

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I'm with @three86 on this one. I shift as fast as I need to shift for the application. I feel like if you are jerking or lurching you aren't applying enough gas upon clutch release...

I've been thinking about this with all the manual shifting threads here. Does everyone expect shifts to be as smooth (read: boring) as an automatic? Yeah, you're going to experience a little roughness upon shifting until you get good and even then the experience is likely to be not as smooth. We are humans disengaging a fair amount of power and altering the timing of that power via our sloppy feet. I'm not sure what people expect. Yeah, it can take a while to get to the point where it's not real rough often but it's not going to be the same as an automatic unless you drive really mellowly, and what's the fun of that?

three86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm with @three86 on this one. I shift as fast as I need to shift for the application. I feel like if you are jerking or lurching you aren't applying enough gas upon clutch release...

I've been thinking about this with all the manual shifting threads here. Does everyone expect shifts to be as smooth (read: boring) as an automatic? Yeah, you're going to experience a little roughness upon shifting until you get good and even then the experience is likely to be not as smooth. We are humans disengaging a fair amount of power and altering the timing of that power via our sloppy feet. I'm not sure what people expect. Yeah, it can take a while to get to the point where it's not real rough often but it's not going to be the same as an automatic unless you drive really mellowly, and what's the fun of that?

I was just testing today and I could get a slow shift if I held the clutch in instead of just tapping it. Generally I shift about 5k rpm and by the time I am in the next gear it is 3k rpm. Unless I am really trying to go fast then it is redline shift or go slow in a parking lot then it is a lower rpm shift.

When leaving the clutch pressed in the rpm would hang and I could wait a couple seconds for it to drop from 5k to 3k. So I guess I could do slow shifts but I would never drive like that and it feels really strange to not have the engine engaged while waiting.

StevenGregory

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I do the same thing when shifting. Also curious if it damages clutch or not.
Any time the clutch is slipping, such as when it is engaging/disengaging right at the friction point, causes wear.

Veradian

First Name
Coleman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If I'm trying to be really smooth (for passengers/comfort) I'll short shift into 2nd. So only getting to around 10-12 mph then shifting. In my experience, it's much smoother and you can shift at a normal speed.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag

jerky-shifts equals a noob driver. This is what the people who have been driving manual for 15+ years are complaining about. Once you get good at driving manual, your day to day shifts should feel auto like.

Just because someone knows the basics of driving a manual car, doesn't mean they know how to drive it well.

Last edited:

iamrealskinny

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wait.. you guys use the clutch to change gears?
I just put it into each gear.

Makes a crunching noise every time but thats normal right?

captlwr

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
....above is all result of Honda Rev Hang programming - even IF you have a "tune" that says it's gone - the ECU Programming will "relearn" the Honda Programming back after a few months - and FYI this is NOT how a Manual Trans is supposed to shift, but the CAFE Regs have ruined the Manual Process
Sponsored