How long does the car drive without the key inside?

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
So with all the thefts using key signal boosting I was wondering how long the Civic could go before it shut down by itself? Seems almost it could be a safety hazard if you drive away without the key and it shuts down.
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
If they are stealing cars this way, I imagine it doesn't shut the engine off at all. They can drive the car out to a remote area, strip it and ditch it.

AquaGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's right, they drive until you stop them. And it is because of the safety issue. Can't have someone's car shutting down on a busy street once they get too far from their keys laying on their driveway or whatever the case may be.

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Even if the car were to automatically stop, some thieves can copy the signal and make another key out of that.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
That's right, they drive until you stop them. And it is because of the safety issue. Can't have someone's car shutting down on a busy street once they get too far from their keys laying on their driveway or whatever the case may be.
true but you could implement a system similar to the On-Star Takeover System where the vehicle just starts slowing down and they are forced to pull over to the side of the road (this would also prevent you from driving away with out your key by accident and ending up 100's of miles from your key unable to get back to it). heck you should be able to limit the thing to not even getting out of the average parking lot before the slow down take over occurs.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
To prevent relay attack thefts get a car that still uses a transponder key with a chip because the thief would need the actual key. I have 2 cars with push button start but never thought it was a problem using a key. The manufacturers just made it easier for someone to steal your car. Especially Honda & others where you cannot disable the passive keyless entry system. High tech Tesla came out with a software upgrade to disable the PKE system in order to reduce vehicle thefts. Smart move to dumb down the system.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Too bad you can't lock the doors while the car is running. My Jetta did this and gave me a little peace of mind when warming up the car in winter.

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m driving for Amazon Flex by myself and I was wondering if there is a way someone can steal your car without the key fob since I carry it with me when dropping off packages. Is there something I can change in the settings to prevent this from happening?

I’d like to have peace of mind knowing that my car won’t be stolen if I keep it running but it’s probably better if I just turn it off and back on but I feel like it’ll slow me down on my deliveries as well.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Why steal a civic when there are a lot of other much nicer cars around.
Because they are so much more common. As such, the parts are in higher demand. Especially shit that's on backorder perpetually, like drivers side CV axels. Plus, a stolen 10th gen Civic is a lot less likely to attract attention while in transit than a higher end luxury vehicle.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Anybody use faraday bags/cases for their fob when not in use?
Sponsored