how long does the battery last, when the car isn't in use?

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
Hi,

due to corona, we are not allowed to go outside in my area. only for shopping food.

does anyone know, how long the battery survives when the car isn't in use for a longer time?
right now, i drive once per week (2x 15mins on one day).

I've a Civic X Sport Plus with keyless system (from 2018).

thanks!
Sponsored

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi,

due to corona, we are not allowed to go outside in my area. only for shopping food.

does anyone know, how long the battery survives when the car isn't in use for a longer time?

thanks!
I had to recently change my battery out (under warranty) and I use my car as a daily. I would recommend if you can get one, a battery conditioner and use that on your battery while the car is sitting idle.

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Hi,

thanks!
What I've been doing is take a longer route.
So that I spend some time on the freeway and my route isn't so short.
This does two things. Helps keep the battery charged, and lessen any oil dilution problems by burning off any fuel in the crankcase. The oil dilution thing might be a little overkill because I live in California LOL!
But even before the 19 virus "If I'm gonna' to fire her up, I'm gonna' take her for a decent jaunt" Guess that might be a hold over from motorcycles, where you spent enough time to suit up that you didn't want to do it for only a 15 min ride.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Assuming your battery is in reasonable condition, if it's above freezing you can let the car sit for a month or more. If you're worried just go and start it and let it run for 5-10 minutes every week or so - no need to drive it but be gentle when you finally do. If you taking a drive every week for food, you're fine.
Sponsored