How long do you warm up your ctr for?

tailsctr916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP CTR
Country flag
Sorry if you don't like this thread but I wanted to hear other peoples opinions. So on my 9th gen si I never warmed it up I would start it and go I would just not go wot I just go easy on it till idle drops down to normal. But since this is a turbo car I was wondering doing this would if mess up anything? I couldn't find any info specificly for ctr, and also I was wondering if when you turn your car off if you let it sit awhile before you turn it off. Im not sure about newer cars but all my friends with turbos had turbo timers that turn their car off once it sits for a while. Would appreciate any feed back.
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
There technically is no need to warm the car up but I do it anyway. I pretty much pull out of the garage instantly and hold it under 3k until I get out of my neighborhood. Then, it's more sub-3k driving at less than 30% throttle until it starts to move the temp needle. I won't go WOT until fully warmed up because I want the metal to do any thermal expansion it should do, and I want the oil to warm up and have the flow properties the engine is designed to.

On cool down, I try to just keep it around 2000 coming in and through the neighborhood. I sit in front of my garage for up to 3 minutes just to let the temps come down a bit. The worst thing you can do, really, is heat up the rings and bearings and then not cool them down. They heat up quickly and cool down relatively quickly, but bringing everything down to a more 'idle temperature' at shutoff should help keep you on the road for a while.

I haven't had to start or park the car under about 65°F yet but I know it's coming. I'll give about 2 minutes idle time before moving the car unless I know I'm just pulling through a parking lot and out onto a short road with a long line of traffic at a light or something.

Dan0974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 2009 Civic Si, 2017 ABM Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was wondering the same thing about the turbo timer... I would only want a complete plug and play option though because I don't want to cut any wires in the car at all unless completely necessary.

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 EP3 Si hatch, 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6spd, 2017 Honda Ruckus
Country flag
People swear up and down that there is no need to warm up a car because the faster it warms up (i.e. when driving) the better it is for the motor, but I still do it. The big reason I don't agree with this is that I would rather not have the motor under load when it's not warmed up and all the parts haven't completed their thermal expansion.

Also, on a turbo'd motor, I don't really want to be sending thick (cold) oil to the turbo. This probably isn't a serious issue unless you're in subzero temps, but why risk it?

On my turbo EP3, I never go WOT until it's fully warmed up, and when coming back I never push it hard enough to spool the turbo within a few miles of my house. Then, once I get home, I let it run at idle for around 3 minutes. I always shut it off at the end of a fan cycle so that the motor is at its coolest.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
I, too, was wondering the same. For my previous cars, I usually will sit and let the car idle until the temp gauge starts moving. After reading around, it seems that newer cars don't need to be warmed up as long as older cars. So, what I do now is let it run for a minute or two, then drive like a grandma until the temp reaches optimal point.

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
I'll let it idle for a couple minutes and just keep it under 3k rpm till I see the temp gauge get up to temp. Even after driving the car I'll let it idle for couple more minutes sometimes up to 5 just to make sure the turbo spools down and comes down to a cooler temp. Just a habit I've had since my last turbo car waiting for the turbo timer to count down.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
This CTR is my 3rd turbo'd car & my 4th forced injected. Talking with local mechanics & fellow owners, the general advice is to turn on the car & leave it idleling for 2 min - to make all fluids circulate, driving it slowly until it gets proper working temperature.

Something to consider as well, it's actually let it cool before turning off, if you have driven the car hard.

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
I don't warm mine up, and didn't warm my Evo up pre-engine build, either. Take it easy and stay out of boost and you're fine. If you hit hard boost right before you park, let it run for a minute or two then shut it off.

OP
OP
tailsctr916

tailsctr916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP CTR
Country flag
There technically is no need to warm the car up but I do it anyway. I pretty much pull out of the garage instantly and hold it under 3k until I get out of my neighborhood. Then, it's more sub-3k driving at less than 30% throttle until it starts to move the temp needle. I won't go WOT until fully warmed up because I want the metal to do any thermal expansion it should do, and I want the oil to warm up and have the flow properties the engine is designed to.

On cool down, I try to just keep it around 2000 coming in and through the neighborhood. I sit in front of my garage for up to 3 minutes just to let the temps come down a bit. The worst thing you can do, really, is heat up the rings and bearings and then not cool them down. They heat up quickly and cool down relatively quickly, but bringing everything down to a more 'idle temperature' at shutoff should help keep you on the road for a while.

I haven't had to start or park the car under about 65°F yet but I know it's coming. I'll give about 2 minutes idle time before moving the car unless I know I'm just pulling through a parking lot and out onto a short road with a long line of traffic at a light or something.
Thanks for the info! So the Honda dealer I got mine from told me theres no break in period and i dont have to worry about warming and cooling the car it sounded faulty. So I called a few other Hondas and they told me there was no break in but don't go wot until about 1000 and don't worry about warming up and cooling the car down. Seems like all these dealers is just giving me their own personal opinion. So I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. Appreciate all the comments. I will definitely let my car cool down before shutting it off.

OP
OP
tailsctr916

tailsctr916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP CTR
Country flag
I don't warm mine up, and didn't warm my Evo up pre-engine build, either. Take it easy and stay out of boost and you're fine. If you hit hard boost right before you park, let it run for a minute or two then shut it off.
Thanks man sounds about right. Thanks for the info.

OldPirate

Old Pirate
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Hyundia something like that....
My other ride is a turbo and when I start the car in the morning, I would just wait around 30-45 sec's for the idle to died down also when I'm ready to shut off the car.

OP
OP
tailsctr916

tailsctr916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP CTR
Country flag
This CTR is my 3rd turbo'd car & my 4th forced injected. Talking with local mechanics & fellow owners, the general advice is to turn on the car & leave it idleling for 2 min - to make all fluids circulate, driving it slowly until it gets proper working temperature.

Something to consider as well, it's actually let it cool before turning off, if you have driven the car hard.
Its pretty hot here in cali right now so i just let it sit for about 30 sec then i take off but will definitely cool it down if i was hard on her before parking.

hemiblas

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus st, mustang v6, 99 cherokee, jk, jku
I'm agreed on letting it warm up completely before going wot on any car. I did this with my focus st the other day and about 10 seconds into my drive, in second at 5k rpm the motor just lost power. let off the throttle right away. Nothing happened, but I won't do that again.

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
Does the turbo on this car just use oil-only or is it a dual system like some of the GTX line and many modern turbos? I know in my Si, the turbo I bought (GTX 3071R) used both oil and water cooling which let it cool down sooner and led to shutting off the car much quicker after driving hard.
Sponsored