How long do you warm up your ctr for?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I did a bunch of research on this when i bought my Dodge 2500 Diesel. ... driving cold and your driving with low oil pressure. ...
Cold oil is much thicker than warm/hot oil and results in HIGHER than normal OIL PRESSURE - but poorer (lower) lubrication.
Sponsored

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
This is a really superstitious thread, just drive your damn car.

Idling your car is never good.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
lol I wait till the rpm’s drop then drive it in comfort and avoid hitting boost until I’m at operating temp.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
lol I wait till the rpm’s drop then drive it in comfort and avoid hitting boost until I’m at operating temp.
This is what I do :p Though I typically see my boost gauge hit like 5 :p Winter has donned on us, so operating temps could take a good 10 minutes of driving for me for the first drive of the day :/ And it’s only in early winter... Once the bulk hits that 10 will turn to 15 :(

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is what I do :p Though I typically see my boost gauge hit like 5 :p Winter has donned on us, so operating temps could take a good 10 minutes of driving for me for the first drive of the day :/ And it’s only in early winter... Once the bulk hits that 10 will turn to 15 :(
How cold does it get by you? I've been in temps as low as -35 C and even the water temp took a long time to go up..

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
i drive gently and out of boost until the coolant temp gauge reaches midway. I continue to drive gently for another 5 min or so after that and then drive normally. GF's 435i has an oil temp gauge instead of a coolant gauge and it does take a long time for the oil in that engine to warm up to operating temp.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
When I had the S2000, I would wait until you could hear the "whistle" from the evap system. With this car (had it for a month in 25-50F temps), I wait until the tach needle dips a little. Both cases took about a minute. Just a convention I set for myself and follow.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
How cold does it get by you? I've been in temps as low as -35 C and even the water temp took a long time to go up..
The coldest the car has gone through is about -50F (-46C), this typically only lasts like a week, if it happens that year (3 out of the last 5 years). Currently we’re right around 20 to 30F (-7 to -1C). Chicago winters have been weird lately. 3 of the last 5 were ridiculously cold while the other 2 have been somewhat mild where the lowest highs we saw were like in the single digits (-17 to -12 C).

When I am talking about operating temp I am actually talking about the water temp. I have no oil temp gauge in the car :p

psalm1

First Name
Psalm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
There technically is no need to warm the car up but I do it anyway. I pretty much pull out of the garage instantly and hold it under 3k until I get out of my neighborhood. Then, it's more sub-3k driving at less than 30% throttle until it starts to move the temp needle. I won't go WOT until fully warmed up because I want the metal to do any thermal expansion it should do, and I want the oil to warm up and have the flow properties the engine is designed to.

On cool down, I try to just keep it around 2000 coming in and through the neighborhood. I sit in front of my garage for up to 3 minutes just to let the temps come down a bit. The worst thing you can do, really, is heat up the rings and bearings and then not cool them down. They heat up quickly and cool down relatively quickly, but bringing everything down to a more 'idle temperature' at shutoff should help keep you on the road for a while.

I haven't had to start or park the car under about 65°F yet but I know it's coming. I'll give about 2 minutes idle time before moving the car unless I know I'm just pulling through a parking lot and out onto a short road with a long line of traffic at a light or something.
On cool down do you Just wait 3 mins as a rule of thumb before turning the engine off? Does it make a noticeable difference? And are there reports of damage from shutting the car off right away?

R-36276

First Name
Milo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I warm mine up for at least 10 minutes in colder Temps or till oil temp is at 140 minimum. I prefer to drive with wot when I leave home, that is why I do it. I don't have the patience to drive any other way when I am driving.

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
This CTR is my 3rd turbo'd car & my 4th forced injected. Talking with local mechanics & fellow owners, the general advice is to turn on the car & leave it idleling for 2 min - to make all fluids circulate, driving it slowly until it gets proper working temperature.

Something to consider as well, it's actually let it cool before turning off, if you have driven the car hard.
I do agree with cooling off the car after driving hard. However, for warm up, I feel 10-20 secs is enough. 2 mins is kinda ridiculous unless it's like -10 degrees in the winter, or you are going to drive really hard right away, like on track.

I was a person who used to warm up car every time i drive, but this is for olders cars. All the new cars are built the way that they do not need warm ups any more. For normal daily drive, 20 secs, let the fluid flow, is more than enough. 2 whole minutes? I didn't even wait that long in my 2002 civic, and that's 2 decades ago car engineering.
Sponsored