Lincoln81

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic sedan touring
Country flag
So this is my 4th summer with my 2016 touring and it seems like the ac is just not as cold anymore. It barely gets any kind of cold. I have been driving my Ford edge and the ac in it is fantastic. Then I get back in the civic and I am very disappointed. I've had it to 2 different dealers to have the ac system checked. Even tho the car is under warranty they still charge me $129.00 to inspect it. They both said no issues, can't reproduce the problem, system is charged, not affected by the recall.

Just trying to get other peoples opinions

Thanks folks
Sponsored

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had my 2018 sport hatch since November 2017, still more than enough to cool off my entire interior from the 110-120F (43-49C) ambient temps we're getting this summer. I've actually turned it down some if I've been driving continuously for more than 15-20 minutes

OP
OP

Lincoln81

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've had my 2018 sport hatch since November 2017, still more than enough to cool off my entire interior from the 110-120F (43-49C) ambient temps we're getting this summer. I've actually turned it down some if I've been driving continuously for more than 15-20 minutes
Wow I wish I had that same issue with my car. Its not that warm here. 35c with the humidity and the car struggles even 30 plus minutes of driving. I havent driven much more then that lately

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
It sucks. I'm on my 3rd condenser. Maybe it's the humidity, as I'm in Houston.
But I have to admit, at 155k and driving a '16, I'm impressed I don't have that mold smell some cars get.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
You can verify if the aircon is working by using a thermometer.
Some autoparts stores (ie NAPA) have specialty thermometers that fit into the vents in your car. They are about $10.00 to $25.00.
Honda Civic 10th gen How is your air conditioning? 1626221522874

Place one into the driver side upper dash vents and set the aircon to full blast ("Lo" temperature, maximum fan, blow only out of top vents, and recirculate air). If the car is moving more than 50 km/hr (30 mph) and after 5 minutes the temperature of the air coming out of the vents is not about 10 degrees celsius (50 degrees fahrenheit) or less, your aircon system is not working right and the dealer lied to you.

The 10th gen (especially 2016 to 2018) Civic aircon systems are well known to be as leaky as a sieve. The refrigerant leaks out and the aircon system stops working properly. The condensor or compressor is the likely culprit.

If the aircon system is not working right, find a better dealer and ask for a refrigerant top up with some leak dye added to isolate the leak. Until you can prove that the system is not working properly and you know the source of the leak, the Dealer will brush you off.

Note, if you verify that your aircon system is not working right, shut off the air conditioning as it could burn out the seals in the Compressor if there is no refrigerant in the system.

Last edited:

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
The A/C in the 10th gen civic is similar to my 1990s 4Runner with that R-12 refrigerant. Takes a long to cool down and the air damper system doesn't allow outside air.

Side note: my 2019 FK7 condenser has that signature black spot when I changed my intercooler. My A/C is still going, but not holding out for this in the long run.

OP
OP

Lincoln81

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey everyone, just quick update, brought the car to a 3rd dealer for the lack of ac issue and they found the condenser needs to be replaced and will be covered under warranty. They have ordered it just waiting for a call to bring the car back in.

In my opinion honda dealers suck at getting things fixed under warranty, I've had a few issues but its always blamed on me and never Hondas fault I had a broken wire under my hood. I never open my hood but it was my fault because I cut it. 500$ later the mechanic fixed the wiring. Poorly at that. I've had brake issues since day 1 on the car. Thats a whole other story.

All good let's keep the shinny side up and the car moving cheers folks

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
It sucks. I'm on my 3rd condenser. Maybe it's the humidity, as I'm in Houston.
But I have to admit, at 155k and driving a '16, I'm impressed I don't have that mold smell some cars get.
As someone who just had this done today I have to say this is disappointing news.
I'd have thought they had updated parts by now...

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey everyone, just quick update, brought the car to a 3rd dealer for the lack of ac issue and they found the condenser needs to be replaced and will be covered under warranty. They have ordered it just waiting for a call to bring the car back in.

In my opinion honda dealers suck at getting things fixed under warranty, I've had a few issues but its always blamed on me and never Hondas fault I had a broken wire under my hood. I never open my hood but it was my fault because I cut it. 500$ later the mechanic fixed the wiring. Poorly at that. I've had brake issues since day 1 on the car. Thats a whole other story.

All good let's keep the shinny side up and the car moving cheers folks
From past experiences I hated taking the car in for the AC fix today.
I was surprised there was no "your car needs this and that". And unlike when the reflash was done, they even washed the car now.
As for the AC, it blew real cold air but ultimately just couldn't keep up today at around noon.
Not sure if something is broken or it was just too hot, but sure this is a weak AC system.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
sounds like you found your new dealer when its time for service and repairs.we have a good local dealer,but not the one i bought our civic from.they refused to fix water in the taillight,said it was normal.regal honda in lakeland,fl. stepped up,ordered the part fixed it under warranty and washed and vaccuumed the car while it was there.needless to say thats where we go now...

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
sounds like you found your new dealer when its time for service and repairs.we have a good local dealer,but not the one i bought our civic from.they refused to fix water in the taillight,said it was normal.regal honda in lakeland,fl. stepped up,ordered the part fixed it under warranty and washed and vaccuumed the car while it was there.needless to say thats where we go now...
Looks like you've found yours too!
Sponsored